Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #2741
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
We finally see the fully grown dragons in action and its a complete game changer, no one stands a chance and I am going to assume Drogon will be fine, even with the wound. Now this makes me wonder, does Cersei try to come up with a battle weapon or a better plan?
dragons supposedly have a lifespan of two centuries and never stop growing larger or tougher. I think they are selling Balerion short with the size of his skull on the show, because he died of old age, so he should be much much larger than 7 (?) year old Drogon.

not that the war for the iron throne will last much longer, but if it did, Dany's dragons would eventually get to the point where even scorpion bolts won't pierce their scales. then their only weak point would be the eyes and I don't even think Bronn is that good a shot.

Quote:
The biggest concern for me is if just one dragon can destroy a Lannister fleet, what happens when three dragons attack wights, it will be over in seconds so either we are headed for the most anti-climatic war that has brewed over 7 seasons or the WW surprise everyone with their own weapon (I am almost convinced after this episode there will be some sort of ice dragon, lion, magical ice creature to make it an equal playing field).
you know it won't be a sweep by team Dany. that's what everyone thought as soon as she landed in Westeros, before immediately proceeding to lose most of her allies. magic dragons are a step above mortal armies, but they're on the same level as magic zombies. wights are flammable, but not only are walkers impervious to flames, they actually seem to extinguish them with their presence. they will most definitely have some spells and/or big ice based weapons (mega ice spears thrown by giants?) to make it fair.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #2742
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Snow doesnt need Dragon-glass or Dany, He isnt the hero Westoros deserves, hes just the one it needs right now.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #2743
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should just load up the dragons with bags of dragon glass and fly way above the white walkers. Death from above!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #2744
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just going off everyone elses comments and the amount of foreshadowing we have seen so far, I am drawing a bold conclusion which IMO makes sense.

Jon leads a group beyond the wall (this is clear from the trailer) things go south and they are out numbered, Dany flies in to save the day (she has the confidence based on last episode) the Night's King throws an ice spear right into one her dragons (based on someone's previous comments in this thread Viserion makes the most sense) dragon falls and collapses to the ground and is swarmed by wights, the episode ends with the Night's King reanimating Viserion and now at this point the wall comes down and anything goes.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #2745
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Amazing episode, but one thing really bugged me..

Spoiler!
This took me a while to figure out what you meant. Then I realized you fine folks in the Rockies likely aren't used to how harbours work.

That's totally normal. Heading out for a family walk if we go to the boardwalk I'll take some pictures for you to show how it's shallow and then drop.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #2746
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the white walkers and the night king, how far have they traveled?

Where did they have that battle in which Jon Snow first saw the Night King?

They seem to be taking a bloody long time to get to the wall. Does anyone know why?

I'd love to see on a map where any white walkers or wights have been seen.

EDIT:

Never mind, it was Hardhome, which isn't far from the wall. They must be waiting for "winter" I guess.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 08-09-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #2747
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Speaking of the white walkers and the night king, how far have they traveled?

Where did they have that battle in which Jon Snow first saw the Night King?

They seem to be taking a bloody long time to get to the wall. Does anyone know why?

I'd love to see on a map where any white walkers or wights have been seen.

EDIT:

Never mind, it was Hardhome, which isn't far from the wall. They must be waiting for "winter" I guess.
I think they are walking around reanimating corpses to build up their army.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #2748
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just going off everyone elses comments and the amount of foreshadowing we have seen so far, I am drawing a bold conclusion which IMO makes sense.

Jon leads a group beyond the wall (this is clear from the trailer) things go south and they are out numbered, Dany flies in to save the day (she has the confidence based on last episode) the Night's King throws an ice spear right into one her dragons (based on someone's previous comments in this thread Viserion makes the most sense) dragon falls and collapses to the ground and is swarmed by wights, the episode ends with the Night's King reanimating Viserion and now at this point the wall comes down and anything goes.
There is no possible way to come up with that detailed theory with those specifics based in friggin foreshadowing and trailer bits.

Keep your 'hunches' in the reddit thread dude.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #2749
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Jon Snow doesnt need Dragon-glass or Dany, He isnt the hero Westoros deserves, hes just the one it needs right now.

Spoiler!
Boooo! don't taint this thread with that crap!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #2750
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I assume it was Bronn who pushed Jamie L. out of the way of the dragon's fire. I wondered if Tyrion and co. will rescue/capture him from the water and either attempt to make a trade for Yara or ____.

Either way, I hope the Kingslayer and dwarf are reunited, even if for only a short time.
That would be an interesting further step in character evolution, if Jaime was taken by Dany's army, Cersei abandons him and he then turns on Cersei. Could fit both characters.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 08-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #2751
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wonder if Dany knew that was Ser Jamie, the Kingslayer, riding towards her with murderous rage at the end of the episode. The man who killed her father by slicing him in the back almost got her in the back with a spear!

Things aren't getting easier for ol' Tyrion. Dany has no reason not to trust him but she's a bit of a hot head and might take things out on him just because he's a Lannister.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #2752
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I always got the idea that glamouring just changed what the viewer saw. Melisandre was always a tiny old woman, but she was able to use her magic to convince others that she looked like a young beautiful woman.

I would assume that Arya's power works the same. She remains a teenage girl, but she just looks like whoever she wants. Do the masks even physically exist? I don't recall seeing piles of skin masks laying around when they are ripped off. Arya doesn't seem to need to carry around physical masks with her. We see people pulling off masks, but not actually carrying them around afterwards.
She probably does need to carry around a skin mask if she wants to repeatedly become that person. All the processes they did with the bodies and the fact that there was an actual hall of skin masks where she learned this stuff suggests the face masks are needed.

One thing that has bothered me about the consistency in her character though was when she killed Walder Frey. She delivered the pies as a servant girl. Was this his regular servant girl, in which case Arya must have just killed some random girl in order to get to Walder? Not very consistent with her principles.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #2753
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
This took me a while to figure out what you meant. Then I realized you fine folks in the Rockies likely aren't used to how harbours work.

That's totally normal. Heading out for a family walk if we go to the boardwalk I'll take some pictures for you to show how it's shallow and then drop.

See, I can understand that in a harbour with open water or a wide river. This is a narrow river, probably no wider than the Bow.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #2754
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
See, I can understand that in a harbour with open water or a wide river. This is a narrow river, probably no wider than the Bow.
What or where are you talking about in the show?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #2755
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
What or where are you talking about in the show?
The river in the battle scene last episode, where Jaime goes from his horse on the banks of the river to plunging into the depths of what seems like a lot of water.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #2756
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh jesus... some rivers, despite being narrow can be deep. Stop over analyzing things, nerds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #2757
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Sill comon. The Strait of Canso is narrow and ungodly deep.

It's no different than a valley or ridge only there happens to be water in it.

In fairness I don't think it's over analyzing, in TV and movies We're used to seeing the shoreline be narrow with a gradual sec. That isn't the case in reality.

If you want to get picky and overanalyze, why are there no wonky currents or undertow?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #2758
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's a world with dragons and the undead, where winters can last for years. So a deep river doesn't seem like it should be an issue.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #2759
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so we've solved the river mystery, time to turn our attention back to the technical specs of the gold carrying wagons.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #2760
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
She probably does need to carry around a skin mask if she wants to repeatedly become that person. All the processes they did with the bodies and the fact that there was an actual hall of skin masks where she learned this stuff suggests the face masks are needed.

One thing that has bothered me about the consistency in her character though was when she killed Walder Frey. She delivered the pies as a servant girl. Was this his regular servant girl, in which case Arya must have just killed some random girl in order to get to Walder? Not very consistent with her principles.
I think she might have taken the face from the hall of faces. Frey did ask if she was new as he had not seen her before. Otherwise I don't think it's a stretch that Arya could come up with a weak excuse on why this girl should die.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote