Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
And force lightning is the best force power in the game too

You truly understand the satisfaction Palpatine experienced when he applied force lightning on Luke in RotJ

Yeah, especially when you get it to full power. But I really liked Force grab when you power it up because you can pick up your opponents and throw them over cliffs or toss them 100 feet in the air. Force pull is awesome because you can pull their weapons away and they start to flee and hide and you can take your time in a no mercy killing.

I am sick.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #42
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Road Rash 3. My current retro fix.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #43
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Not to derail this thread, but I should have mentioned in the beginning that I was also going to go through my back catalog of games. I dusted off the PS4 God of War game - I literally plaid for an hour or so a year or two back and must have been pre-occcupied with something else and basically lost interest. Well, as of yesterday, I am past where I left off and enjoying the game so far. I am going to travel backwards a bit to really learn how to fight as I think I am button mashing too much.

Anyway, I am also in the middle of Fallout Vegas and Fallout 4, both started in new games having beat them both years ago.

Just an FYI, both Skyrim and Diablo are excellant on the Switch, so if you are on the fence, go for it.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Being a Star Wars buff and a vintage game fan I dusted off my steam copy of Star Wars Rebellion. It didn't look like much, but its a very deep game.

Of course I played as the Evil Empire today and set forth on bringing order to the galaxy. I forgot how complex the resource part of the game was and found myself running out of money and unable to build things. But I got lucky and amassed the Imperial Fleet lead by Darth Vader and his two Sith Acolytes Piett and Daala (Vader found out they were Force Sensitive. The Imperial diplomatic core got to work swinging systems to our side. Meanwhile The Imperial Fleet lead by Grand Admiral Thrawn started the outer rim sieges lead by the Super Star Destroyer Iron Hand the Imperial Storm Trooper brigade lead by General Grammel started conquering the outer rim and found resource rich planets. Our Ship designers got to work upgrading our Star Destroyers to the Imp and Victory 2 initiatives and we build the Death Squadron made up of 10 Star Destroyers 10 Victory class Star Destroyers and 2 Super Star Destroyers the Executor and Imperial Will. We rolled through the inner rim and pushed the Rebels to one sector in the outer Rim. Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine took command of the newly christened Death Star 2, which was lost by a lucky shot by Luke Skywalker, but this time there was no loss as Death Squadron finished the war using brute efficiency and we captured and executed Skywalker, Princess Leader and the rest of the Traitors.

I had a great time playing it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #45
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should also throw this out there if anyone needs something to do and has a working SNES. If anyone is interested in doing a game swap I'd be down!

Heres a list of my games (all for the SNES):

Aladdin
Street Fighter 2 turbo
Zelda - link to the past
Star fox
Mario All Stars
F Zero
Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon
Top Gear
Killer Instinct
King of the Monsters
Mortal Kombat 1 2 and 3
Raiden
Super mario RPG
Super mario world
Donkey Kong country 2
Rapjam
Battletoads / Double Dragon
Mario Kart
Bill Laimbeers combat basketball
Mickeys magical quest

Let me know what you'd like to trade and we can make something work!

Edit: temporarily trade is what I meant

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 03-30-2020 at 08:07 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #46
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #47
Nage Waza

Exp:

Zelda and Mario RPG are great games, worth it to play through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #48
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Zelda and Mario RPG are great games, worth it to play through.
They are but dont discount battle toads / double dragon. That might be the hardest game ever (next to ski free)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
They are but dont discount battle toads / double dragon. That might be the hardest game ever (next to ski free)
My aging hands can't handle those games for long durations anymore. Even COD can make me cramp up a bit. I'm getting close to 50, so have to game wisely!

Speaking of COD, last night I won back to back free-for-alls, which is actually a rather major accomplishment, especially for my age! I yelled for my son to come watch and I later heard him bragging to his friends (while they played Fortnight).
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #50
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh god, I remember playing this game (not sure which version, but on the OG playstation so probably 1) and the race would go forever, and you couldn't blink. It would basically hypnotize you. We had this game at a mining camp and ten of us would sit and watch one person play, passing the controller over when your eyes couldn't take it anymore. I still remember a single spot where the game would spawn more bad guys and you knew you were screwed.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #51
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh god, I remember playing this game (not sure which version, but on the OG playstation so probably 1)
1 on the PS???

RR3 was on Sega Genesis iirc.

I loved the one for 3DO (think it was on PC too). I still listen to some songs off that soundtrack.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #52
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
1 on the PS???

RR3 was on Sega Genesis iirc.

I loved the one for 3DO (think it was on PC too). I still listen to some songs off that soundtrack.
Just looked it up, it was Road Rash 3D. I might boot it up tonight.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #53
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just looked it up, it was Road Rash 3D. I might boot it up tonight.
Yeah that was the same one on 3do. Best one of the series.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #54
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you can, dive into Skitchin' as well.

!@#$in love those games.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #55
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If you can, dive into Skitchin' as well.

!@#$in love those games.
On the rare occasion I get stumped by a video game, and this was one of those times. I have no memory of this game at all.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #56
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the rare occasion I get stumped by a video game, and this was one of those times. I have no memory of this game at all.
I remember the cover. Rollerblading, although I don't think I ever actually played it.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #57
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting close to being done my second playthrough of RDR 2, after that I think I'm going to go vintage. I've been trying to work out in the basement lately, where my old Super Nintendo and XBox 360 are. I keep eye-balling them when I'm down there. Can totally see me playing some Super Mario Kart, or maybe even fire up a tourney of NBA Jam or a Ken Griffey Jr baseball season. Maybe RDR 1 after beating the second one. Lord knows I got the time these days!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #58
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with MAME and building a system?

Need some general advice to get me started, I've been doing some reading online but still a bit unsure. Most importantly, what software is best? MAME or is there another "brand" that is better? How do the older CRT games translate to newer HD screens?

I'm a big time console collector, I think there are around 16 in my collection from Intellivision, Atari, Coleco, to all the Nintendos, Segas and current stuff. Also have a few full size cabinets in my garage, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat 3 and Cruisn' USA. I've been thinking and planning on emulating the older coinop arcade stuff for years now.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #59
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Does anyone have experience with MAME and building a system?

Need some general advice to get me started, I've been doing some reading online but still a bit unsure. Most importantly, what software is best? MAME or is there another "brand" that is better? How do the older CRT games translate to newer HD screens?

I'm a big time console collector, I think there are around 16 in my collection from Intellivision, Atari, Coleco, to all the Nintendos, Segas and current stuff. Also have a few full size cabinets in my garage, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat 3 and Cruisn' USA. I've been thinking and planning on emulating the older coinop arcade stuff for years now.
I built a mame cabinet about 15 years ago...not much has changed though. You will be using mame but also frontend software. I like MALA it was easy to configure.

Games will look great on an HD screen since the output is digital although its best if you can find a 4:3 screen. Local swap and buy sites or thrift stores often have 4:3 LCD monitors and obsolete computers for $5-$10 and they are perfect for projects like this.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #60
Nage Waza

Exp:

My suggestion is to forgo mame, unless you plan on building an actual arcade cabinet. I have built a bunch over the years, it is certainly fun to do, but they occupy so much space.

Instead, focus on curating a collection of games for each system, don't go for every game of each system, it takes too long to navigate and you won't want to play most of them.

Once you have your list of games, I think the best system to play them on is the Nvidia Shield TV. Download the emulators you need, load up your games, and sit back from your coach and play them.

Get the shield with the controller and grab a thumbdrive that can hold the games you have selected.