Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #481
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think they can do it actually.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:55 AM   #482
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of angst in this thread.

Look at the goals though

Goal 1: Markstrom flubs it. 99/100 times he doesn't do that.
Goal 2: Tanev fails to box out in his first period back from an injury. 99/100 times, including late in this game, he doesn't do that.
Goal 3: Zadorov literally deflects Kane's shot past Markstrom's shoulder. 99/100 times he doesn't do that.
Goal 4 - Lindholm scores on the PP after the whole unit dominates. Repeatable.
Goal 5 - Backlund uses his vintage off-wing cut to the inside. Repeatable.
Goal 6 - Smith lets in a knuckleball from 160 feet out.; 999/1000 times he doesn't do that.
Goal 7 - Fourth line / makeshift pair have a rough shift resulting in a Barrie blast from the point. Kylington gets caught with poor positioning on the rebound. 99/100 times that doesn't happen.

The Flames did not bring their A game, but were still a handful of unfortunate events away from pulling out a W.

One Game At A Time

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #483
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Markstrom brings his "A" game for the next 3 games, Flames win this series in 7.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 AM   #484
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Can’t believe how many fair weather fans there are. Y’all are more pathetic than you think the team is.
I have always defended the more emotional GT fans but some of what I read yesterday was embarrassing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #485
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ agreed except for maybe the poor Kylington play on number 7. He’s not a great positional Dman. And while obviously Tanev doesn’t normally get beaten I think it was a product of his injury - he shouldn’t be net front on a PK right now unfortunately.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #486
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the Flames really battled back and played their game. Which is what the majority of us were clamoring for.

Markstrom had that gaff, and then likely would want that Kane goal too, but he played great otherwise. Just need him to be in tip top form the rest of the way.

Tanev looked awesome I thought, really played his usual steady game.

Somehow I dont feel down at all. I called Flames in 7 from the start, this is just the more interesting way to get there.

Keep peppering Smith, get in front of him, make it tough.

Win tomorrow, at home, go from there.

Go Flames Go!!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #487
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At the end of the day, Markstrom just has to be better. He’s been worse than Smith - that’s not what the Flames are paying him for.

I think next year the Flames really need to play the backup more and keep Markstrom fresher for the playoffs. And if Markstrom stinks in the playoffs they might actually be able to turn to the backup.

It’s early to speculate on this, but I’m wondering how long Markstrom will be able to hold off Wolf. Could be interesting in a couple of years.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #488
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
At the end of the day, Markstrom just has to be better. He’s been worse than Smith - that’s not what the Flames are paying him for.

I think next year the Flames really need to play the backup more and keep Markstrom fresher for the playoffs. And if Markstrom stinks in the playoffs they might actually be able to turn to the backup.

It’s early to speculate on this, but I’m wondering how long Markstrom will be able to hold off Wolf. Could be interesting in a couple of years.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is something like this:
2022/2023: Wolf still in AHL with some spot NHL starts
2023/2024: NHL back-up
2024/2025: NHL 1b
2025/2026: Full time starter

I don't think he takes over full time in the #1 job for at least 3 years. I might be wrong.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #489
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canadian hockey broadcasts used to be objectively superior to American ones. Now, it feels like it's the other way around. I finally switched to ESPN last game and they covered the game fairly, talking about each team when they deserved it and showing highlights from the Carolina/New York game. No gambling updates or marveling over how quickly McDavid can walk down a hallway.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #490
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has been a ton of talk about Toffoli but his production is identical to Mangiapane.
I know both are streaky but I don't think Andrew has been really great in the playoffs.

There are two guys I'm curious about how they are handled in the off-season: Mangiapane and Kylington. And I think you have to be VERY careful not to overpay either. Kylington's performance is clearly driven in part by his partner (Tanev). Mangiapane is streaky.

What are each worth? I have no idea. But I also wouldn't be opposed to selling high on either. Particularly Mangiapane (too early to talk off-season I know)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #491
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Next day, still unforgiveable they didn't win a game where Smith let in one of the worst goals in NHL history to tie it up
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #492
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There has been a ton of talk about Toffoli but his production is identical to Mangiapane.
I know both are streaky but I don't think Andrew has been really great in the playoffs.

There are two guys I'm curious about how they are handled in the off-season: Mangiapane and Kylington. And I think you have to be VERY careful not to overpay either. Kylington's performance is clearly driven in part by his partner (Tanev). Mangiapane is streaky.

What are each worth? I have no idea. But I also wouldn't be opposed to selling high on either. Particularly Mangiapane (too early to talk off-season I know)
Yea I'd sell high on Mangiapane. He's not even as impactful as Yamamoto in this series ffs
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #493
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Incredible how so many people are blaming Marky. His numbers aren't good but the goals he has let in are quality goals aside from game 1 where he sucked but we still won.

Recap of the losing games and his goals:
Game 2
Keith's goal - Saveable but not terrible
McDavid goal - Breakaway deke, little chance
Bouchard goal - perfect blast inside post, no chance
Hyman breakaway - 50/50 chance

Game 3
Hyman goal - perfect shot inside post but maybe lost his angle a bit so 50/50
Kane three goals - all alone going one way and getting deked, poor defensive play, little chance to save

Game 4
Nuge goal - gift wrapped bad play, all on Marky
Hyman goal - PP rebound, no chance
Kane goal - deflected of defender stick, low chance to save
Nuge goal - rebound, bad coverage by Shilly, no chance

Don't forget all the other stops he's made like Drai one timers, Hyman breakaway, Kassian breakaway etc.

Flames are giving up way too many uncontested opportunities. This is a team issue. If Flames had those exact opportunities, I'm willing to bet we would also be scoring.
The Flames are giving up too much quality, and sure he’s not allowing “soft” goals but he still needs to make more saves.

The Oilers are capitalizing on their chances and their stars are better finishers than the Flames stars but IMO Markstrom doesn’t look comfortable, he’s making himself small in the net, and I don’t think he’s reading the play well.

Even the 4th goal last night…Kylington needs to have better body position. But it would be nice if Markstrom wouldn’t have dropped the rebound off the Barrie point shot right in front of RNH too.

Sure the team needs to be more solid defensively but when you’re rocking an .850 save percentage some of that needs to be on the goalie too
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #494
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been avoiding CP after these losses.

Talking to buddies I said I would put money on Vladar starting Game 4, and was wrong. I would go double or nothing on Vladar in Game 5. Marky has been spooky bad.

The Flames are so insanely predictable right now that even Dallas figured us out (just didn't have the offence).
Old 05-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #495
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^^ agreed except for maybe the poor Kylington play on number 7. He’s not a great positional Dman. And while obviously Tanev doesn’t normally get beaten I think it was a product of his injury - he shouldn’t be net front on a PK right now unfortunately.
The HNIC panel pointed out that Tanev was constantly communicating to Kylington and points out where he should be going - I wonder if that makes a bigger different than people realize. It might be no coincidence that the last goal with Kylington looking a bit clueless was Kylington/Stone as opposed to Kylington/Tanev.

All in all, this was a good game where the result just didn't go the Flames' way. They were pretty successful in checking McDavid, even if it took 4 players surrounding him at times. It's one where you'd be able to build off of in the regular season, but in the playoffs the runway is terribly short, especially when you are already down in the series.

Still, I have a glimmer of hope that the Flames can pull off a 7-game series win, which would not have had a chance of existing for past iterations of the Flames.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #496
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Both Magiapane and Kylington have cost themselves a fair bit of money - not just in the playoffs, but over the second half of the season. I don’t think either one is going to be getting anywhere close to what people were speculating earlier in the season.

Mangiapane shouldn’t get making more than $4 million on a multi-year deal. If he wants to ride out a one-year deal, they can just qualify him, see what happens and deal him later if necessary. Toffoli does pretty much what Mangiapane does and is wasted on the 3rd line.

I wouldn’t want to go over $3 million on a multi-year with Kylington. He’s still too flaky defensively and hasn’t looked great without Tanev.

EDIT: The other issue is Pelletier. He has to play somewhere in the top-9.

Last edited by madmike; 05-25-2022 at 08:48 AM.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #497
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frustrating given the regular season, that several pundits called us to go to the Finals and that none of us knows what the team will look like next year. Hell we don’t even have a plan for an arena.

We might not get this close to the big prize for many years.

I guess we know how FLA fans feel.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #498
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The game was watchable, but I can't listen to the broadcast. To watch the next game, I might have to watch it in the dome or just listen to the radio. The constant love gushing for McSavior adds no value to the analysis.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #499
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post

Still, I have a glimmer of hope that the Flames can pull off a 7-game series win, which would not have had a chance of existing for past iterations of the Flames.
There is a path there.

They need to have a strong performance in Game 5 on home ice, where they were pretty good in game 1 and 2, but need to be tighter defensively.

Markstrom needs to help steal a game in game 6 with the Oilers on home ice with the opportunity to clinch.

Then it comes down to a game 7 on home ice.

They can still win this series, they’ve just left themselves no Margin for error. And Markstrom needs to start playing like a Vezina candidate goalie that can actually make a difference and cover up some of the teams warts.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #500
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know this would never happen but there's a small part of me that wants Vladar to come in and be our Cam Ward/Matt Murray of old
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post: