Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #181
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is evident that this team came into the season knowing the regular season isn't important and they would be able to skate through it to the playoffs. You can see when this team is on, it is a good team. They just need to start playing with some urgency and put a full 60 minutes in. Speaks volumes that they have played as poor as they have and are more than in the thick of things. They look like they are coming out of the preseason still finding their skating legs. The Key to the season is just pick up points, which they are doing.

When they throw it to that next gear and start going, I think we will start seeing the team the Flames are supposed to be.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #182
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Tkachuk is excellent, no doubt.

To be fair to Backlund, as this gap is quite large, there have to be at least a half dozen points there where Tkachuk is on the ice without Backlund, ex. either on the PP, or on the ice with someone else in OT.

Doesn’t close the gap entirely, and you can’t, but you aren’t comparing apples to apples.
4 points on PP, so not a stretch to think the other another couple are without Backlund even on the ice (tying goal v the Preds for example).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #183
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Is Matthew Tkachuk the best player on the Flames?
He’s gotta be in the conversation. This team has evolved.

Best forwards: Lindholm and Tkachuk
Other best players: Rittich and Gio

13 and 23 could make a decent 2nd line I guess
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #184
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Holy poop I didn't realize on the 3-2 goal that Tkachuk made a pass with the knob of his stick after picking his stick up backwards.

Ridiculous!

Link
https://gfycat.com/leftmajorcommongonolek
Nice catch, amazing.

Looks like he was also about to throw a backhand pass to Monahan all alone in front. What a player.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #185
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He’s gotta be in the conversation. This team has evolved.

Best forwards: Lindholm and Tkachuk
Other best players: Rittich and Gio

13 and 23 could make a decent 2nd line I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is textbook propaganda and obfuscation. I am not sure why anyone should take you seriously when you retreat to these sorts of exaggerations.
textbook
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #186
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why they got smoked in the playoffs. Can't wait till the third to start playing against a good team. I would like to see Tkachuk-Lindholm and Gaudreau - Monahan as pairs. It is really too bad we don't have a top 6 level RW that could replace Lindhom.

Backlund would be an amazing third line center.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #187
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think that Tocchet has done a great job with this team so far this year; they didn't make many mistakes and in today's NHL if you don't turn the puck over in your own zone and you get solid goaltending, you win a lot of your games.

Regardless of the outcome (we shouldn't have won but I'm glad we did), Rittich is a bonafide #1. I still can't wrap my ahead around that as he is a guy I hardly even knew about two years ago. How long we have waited.

And on that point, we can't waste this. He's 27, relatively salary-controlled, and as good as anyone in the NHL in the crease. I understood the hesitancy to make big moves in the past as we always had inconsistent goaltending, without which you can't make a deep run. But this team has GOT to trade for forward help before the deadline. Hell, look at the rushes that Grabner was able to create just with his speed tonight. We lack playmakers that can play with Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk.

Monahan looks like a second liner. I'm glad to see him produce tonight but he hasn't looked like his old self for a long time.

Jankowski is invisible out there when not killing a penalty.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #188
Lucky boy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The play by Johnny on the game-tying goal on the boards to get the puck back to the point !!! wow !!!
Lucky boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #189
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
Jankowski is invisible out there when not killing a penalty.

He is the one that annoys me the most for some reason haha. Just seems disinterested.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #190
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has Tkachuk spent any time on the first line? He's 5th in ice time among forwards this season and should be first.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #191
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Bennett is looking alright these days.

If you could roll with Johnny-Monahan and Tkachuk-Lindholm, you would have the makings of two dangerous top lines that most contenders have.

Mangipane/Bennett could fill in one of those blanks, but I'm afraid you need to trade for another winger. I lament the Valimaki injury so much because that would have given Brad the freedom to trade a d-man (Brodie or Hamonic) for a very healthy return to bolster the top line.

Alas.
Honestly, if you're going to drop down Lindholm to the 2nd to play with Tkachuk, and I really hope the Flames would put Bennett on the top line with Johnny and Monahan. It's not like it doesn't work, or isn't possible of working. Game 5 in the playoffs last year, although the Flames season still ended, that line actually had some juice. And with the past chemistry of players like Ferland, and other teams having a player that's not that skilled, but has chemistry with the top line players, it could work. I would say that Bennett has more skill, and potential than Ferland did. It could, and should work.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #192
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can talk about lines or pairings or individuals all you want but I think what this team needs most is just practices dedicated to 5v5 systems execution - breakouts, entries, and plugging up neutral ice. I don't think it's a coincidence none of our centers have been able to really get it going as that position is so dependant on tight system execution by others in order to get the open ice opportunity needed to create. Team has been freewheeling its systems so far this season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #193
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly, if you're going to drop down Lindholm to the 2nd to play with Tkachuk, and I really hope the Flames would put Bennett on the top line with Johnny and Monahan. It's not like it doesn't work, or isn't possible of working. Game 5 in the playoffs last year, although the Flames season still ended, that line actually had some juice. And with the past chemistry of players like Ferland, and other teams having a player that's not that skilled, but has chemistry with the top line players, it could work. I would say that Bennett has more skill, and potential than Ferland did. It could, and should work.
Sam Bennett does not have the skill or intellect to play on an NHL first line effectively.

Peters already gave him a shot and he couldn't last a single period.

Sam Bennett is a borderline 3rd/4th line player. Nothing more.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #194
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Probably a coincidence.

Tkachuk leads the team with 14 even strength points. Backlund has 5.
Yeah, you didn’t even think about what I said.

OT 3 on 3 is even strength. Goalie pulled is even strength

At least 4 of his even strength points have come without Backlund on the ice.

Again, not saying Tkachuk isn’t the more productive player, just saying “look at his production vs his linemate” is a bit disingenuous
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #195
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, you didn’t even think about what I said.

OT 3 on 3 is even strength. Goalie pulled is even strength

At least 4 of his even strength points have come without Backlund on the ice.

Again, not saying Tkachuk isn’t the more productive player, just saying “look at his production vs his linemate” is a bit disingenuous
What I'M saying is that Tkachuk is producing a lot more with better linemates.

I just looked it up, Tkachuk has 10 points 5-5, backlund has 3. It's astonishing what Tkachuk is doing. I honestly wonder if the next line combo should be Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm.

Is Tkachuk the best player on the team?

Points per 60 Tkachuk 3.29
Points Per 60 Gaudreau 2.55
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #196
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
What I'M saying is that Tkachuk is producing a lot more with better linemates.

I just looked it up, Tkachuk has 10 points 5-5, backlund has 3. It's astonishing what Tkachuk is doing. I honestly wonder if the next line combo should be Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm.

Is Tkachuk the best player on the team?

Points per 60 Tkachuk 3.29
Points Per 60 Gaudreau 2.55
There is no doubt in my mind.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #197
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would have fought that opinion before this season, and even to start the year Tkachuk looked a little lost, but I chalked that up to missing most of camp.

I have no doubt that, as of right now, Tkachuk is the most important player for the Flames in terms of who sets the tone. The best all-around player right now is still Lindholm.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #198
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Fun fact. Did you know that Lindholm has only been held off the scoresheet in 4 games so far?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #199
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah I would have fought that opinion before this season, and even to start the year Tkachuk looked a little lost, but I chalked that up to missing most of camp.

I have no doubt that, as of right now, Tkachuk is the most important player for the Flames in terms of who sets the tone. The best all-around player right now is still Lindholm.
I want to say it's still Gio, but I'm not sure I can do that. He has struggled in a couple games and hasn't controlled the others.

I will say that simply assuming that Tkachuk on the first line with Johnny and Monahan = success for everyone is not necessarily a foregone conclusion.

I'm starting to wonder what it would look like if you just switched Gaudreau and Tkachuk. So a second line of Gaudreau, Backlund and Mangiapane (or Czarnik/Dube/Bennett. Could Gaudreau and Backlund's IQ make up for Bennett's lack? Could Backlund's D (with Mangiapane/Bennett) make up for Gaudreau's lack? Everone says Monahan just lives off of Gaudreau so I'm assuming he can live off Tkachuk and that Backlund's production won't suffer (or will go up). Backlund carries more so pressure off Johnny a bit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #200
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Has Tkachuk spent any time on the first line? He's 5th in ice time among forwards this season and should be first.
I think more than anything that shows the problem that we have with those other 3 players (assuming Lindholm is one of those guys, he's not a problem).

We have more than a few stars on this team and I think that starts with Johnny and Mony