Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #1661
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My ceiling fan is now making a scraping-like sound inside when it runs. Last time we used it months ago, nothing. Now scraping sounds. Anyone? Replace it?
I noticed mine doing this last time I turned it in. The blades have sagged and need to be bent upwards a little bit. They are dragging near the hub. If you have the blades spinning so they push air downwards and put it on high the scrapping will probably go away, while it’s spinning.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #1662
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, in a weird twist I returned the Luxway pot lights to Costco because nowhere on the manufacturer's website, the box, installation manual - anywhere, did it state that they were good for damp locations and certain other lighting products manufacturer by them stated things like "damp-rated".

So after returning them, we went shopping and saw the lights still being sold there, and on the display it said they suited for installation in showers. I am thoroughly confused. Anyway, I will pick up something that explicitly says "damp-rated" on them. These didn't look at all like they were sealed from the moisture in the shower.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #1663
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, in a weird twist I returned the Luxway pot lights to Costco because nowhere on the manufacturer's website, the box, installation manual - anywhere, did it state that they were good for damp locations and certain other lighting products manufacturer by them stated things like "damp-rated".

So after returning them, we went shopping and saw the lights still being sold there, and on the display it said they suited for installation in showers. I am thoroughly confused. Anyway, I will pick up something that explicitly says "damp-rated" on them. These didn't look at all like they were sealed from the moisture in the shower.
Well if they say they're good for damp locations they probably are. All you need to make sure is that there's a CSA or ULC stamp. But if you don't trust it and would rather use a different product, that's the best way to go.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #1664
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The other day while walking around the exterior of my house I noticed a light brown substance that appears to have been dripping down from the roof and onto the side of the house. Not a lot but more of a slow drip which I assume has been happening for a few months (I don't normally go on the sides of the house in the winter). Has anyone else seen this? Guessing it's from the shingles?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #1665
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The other day while walking around the exterior of my house I noticed a light brown substance that appears to have been dripping down from the roof and onto the side of the house. Not a lot but more of a slow drip which I assume has been happening for a few months (I don't normally go on the sides of the house in the winter). Has anyone else seen this? Guessing it's from the shingles?
Rusty nail or eavestrough, or decaying leaves?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #1666
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Decomposing squirrel carcass in the eavestrough.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #1667
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dead hookers in the eavestrough
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #1668
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a recommendation on a hot water tank? Looking to buy a 50G one for my home. Looking for companies, brands etc. So far Pete the Plumber seems to have the best price (around $1000 all in including install). Any help would be appreciated!
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #1669
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

When your on the bottom end of water tanks they are all pretty much the same. I am quite happy with my Rheem power vent but if it was a conventional tank I'd just get the most affordable.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #1670
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
You may accumulate moisture in there but I doubt it will cause problems. If you're willing to monitor it I can't see there being any harm in it. Any moisture that does accumulate is going to freeze in the winter though, so you could build up an ice dam in the duct. Unless the fan is running constantly the ambient temp in the attic will be the temp of the duct.

Ps, I think you're overthinking it.

Just an update on this as I went up in the attic this weekend to get some recessed lighting installed. I checked the bathroom exhaust duct work, and I could feel some bits of ice had formed in that dip in the duct work from the bathroom fan to the roof vent. I don’t know if it means much. It didn’t seem like *a lot*, but enough that it would make a mess on the ceiling if it melted.

And on the topic of lighting and wiring - anybody familiar with the CEC enough to say whether a junction box have something like a medicine cabinet installed over top of it, or do they need to be readily accessible? The box used to have a vanity light installed on it, but our medicine cabinet we picked out is tall and would cover it up. Conversely: we could cut the drywall and move the box further up the wall if that makes it okay.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #1671
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

All junction boxes have to be accessible. You could probably get away with just hanging the vanity in front of it but if it's bolted to the wall you are pushing it.

That ice probably will dissapate by evaporation as it warms up if the fan runs enough. Maybe just turn the fan on for a day and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #1672
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rusty nail or eavestrough, or decaying leaves?
Bingo. Looks like the eavestroughs have a bunch of stuff in there I'll have to deal with when it warms up
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #1673
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone recommend a plumber for an easy / quick job? I just have a laundry sink I need hooked up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #1674
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its dried Blood...

Your house is saying...GET OOOOUUUUUUTTTTT !!!!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #1675
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Its dried Blood...

Your house is saying...GET OOOOUUUUUUTTTTT !!!!!!
I was hoping that it was going to be a pizza.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #1676
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on a hot water tank? Looking to buy a 50G one for my home. Looking for companies, brands etc. So far Pete the Plumber seems to have the best price (around $1000 all in including install). Any help would be appreciated!
Thats who I used. They did a good job, best price I found as well.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #1677
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
All junction boxes have to be accessible. You could probably get away with just hanging the vanity in front of it but if it's bolted to the wall you are pushing it.
The only reason I need to use that junction box there is because the light switch wiring feeds into it. If the wiring from the light switch were long enough, I could bring it up to the attic and tie it into a junction box there, out of the way. Unfortunately the light switch is on another wall, and presumably stapled down. This would involve more cutting and patching than I wish to do.

Anyway, I don't want to do anything that's not kosher with the electrical code, but I found these on the US Home Depot site, and they are apparently a-ok with their electrical code. I wonder if anybody has ever thought to use these here to extend the romex?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...69-2/202204327

Here is a badly drawn representation. I figure if I can splice the light switch wiring that would allow me to move all the other wiring to a junction box in the attic.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #1678
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The code just says the junction box has to be accessible. It can't be buried under drywall and hidden. It can be recessed in a wall with a removable cover. It could be behind a picture, or in the back of a cabinet. So if your vanity can be hung rather than fixed to the wall you are probably going to be ok with the inspector.

I have yet to see an allowable splice for CEC, and I was just talking to my electrician freind about this the other day. We are actually getting more strict, with tamper resistant plugs and arc fault breakers. Any joint in a wire is a potential spark generator. Even the slightest arcing can generate heat, I don't think that will ever be acceptable buried in a wall.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #1679
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is "accessible" defined? If I were to mount a medicine cabinet on some keyhole hangers, is that accessible? I suppose I would need to indicate that it is there. It seems like accessible has some interpretation, possibly based on how fast you can access it?

My other options would be to either to move the junction box up the wall so its not directly behind the medicine cabinet. You wouldn't be able to see it unless you were at the right spot. Or I could run new wiring from the switch up to the attic to a junction box. I just have to go at it a bit blind.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #1680
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How is "accessible" defined? If I were to mount a medicine cabinet on some keyhole hangers, is that accessible? I suppose I would need to indicate that it is there. It seems like accessible has some interpretation, possibly based on how fast you can access it?

My other options would be to either to move the junction box up the wall so its not directly behind the medicine cabinet. You wouldn't be able to see it unless you were at the right spot. Or I could run new wiring from the switch up to the attic to a junction box. I just have to go at it a bit blind.
Pretty much by the inspectors interpretation of the rules. I've seen inspectors who are militant on some items and surprisingly flexible on others. I've talked to journeyman who work to the code only to have to redo work because it doesn't meet the inspectors interpretation.

There is nothing stopping you from calling an inspector, I know I can pop in the office in town here.

IMO having the cabinet removable is accessible. It says nothing about identifying it. Lets say a marret lets go in the junction box and your light wont come on. The electrician will probably identify the open through fault finding and will be able to repair it without having to tear walls down to find a junction box.

It's not hard to fish wires but I think you are overthinking things.