Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #2881
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

United just dropped their Jan-May 2013 prices from Calgary to Beijing, China down to $869 roundtrip after taxes.

Can try this search on Google Flights Explorer to see them:

http://tinyurl.com/bpdxks2

If you haven't tried out Google Flights Explorer, it's a new tool that Google is testing. It's not to be confused with Google Flights which came out a while ago.

https://www.google.com/flights/explorer/

There's a crazy amount of processing power going on behind the scenes that makes the old ways of searching for flights seem very, well, old.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 12-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #2882
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's insane how quickly the results are displayed.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #2883
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Boston - $455 roundtrip after taxes - throughout 2013

https://www.google.com/flights/explo...0;d=2013-05-20

This is the first time I've ever seen a real sale to Boston from YYC. It looks to be available throughout 2013, even during peak summer travel periods.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #2884
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Perfect time for Boston to go on sale. Buddy is having a wedding there next year. Thanks Chris!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #2885
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Say hi to Buddy.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #2886
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any deals from Calgary to Las Vegas on Feb 7-10?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #2887
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to the Galapagos in February. I've been looking up flights and they all go through Panama City, and seem to be around the $1200 mark (looking via cheapoair.com). Seems like a pretty decent price....however, I'd like to take advantage of the route stop in Panama City for a few days, but doing so, seems to bump up the price by $4-500. It's pretty much the exact same process, I would just like my stopover to be 2 days instead of 2 hours.

Anyway to do this in such a way that it would still be the cheaper price? Would talking to a travel agent help? Can anyone recommend one if so?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #2888
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and on that note, anyone ever been to Panama City and/or Guayaquil, Ecuador. Pro tips?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #2889
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Oh and on that note, anyone ever been to Panama City and/or Guayaquil, Ecuador. Pro tips?
There's not really anything overly exciting in Guayaquil. If you can swing a stop in Quito instead, there's way more to see.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #2890
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are there any other good sites like Groupon Getaways for travel deals?
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #2891
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bloody hell. Trying to organize a trip to Peru and Brazil, but the flights seem ridiculous. Both round trip and one-ways from here to Lima or Rio is about $1,000. The the flight between Rio and Lima is $700. Almost seems more worth it to do those two cities on two separate trips...gah!

Edit: Just discovered the multi-city feature, which helps bring the price down a little bit. Eliminates the cost between Rio and Lima at least. Yay!

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 01-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #2892
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico - $179 roundtrip after taxes

Some cheap last minute flights are being offered through Sunquest Vacations, the flights are operated by Westjet.

http://yycdeals.com/cheap-last-minut...ip-after-taxes

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #2893
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...677/story.html

Didn't really know where else to put this, but it kind of is important. I guess demand is going up for flights and companies like WestJet and Air Canada have more pricing power these days, which is reflective of a strong economy and disposable income coming back to Canadians.

I don't really remember the $1 flights though, that seems way too low, especially within Canada. Maybe Ryan Air in Europe but not here. Cheapest I remember them being was $29 to Abbottsford, or $39 to Vancouver.

Room for new airlines / new competition?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #2894
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Chris,

We are planning on going to New York for our honeymoon in August. I'm under the impression New York doesn't usually go on sale. However, on iTravel2000, I'm seeing a roundtrip, direct WestJet flight for $552 each after taxes & fees. Is this a good price or would it be worth it to wait and see if we can get a deal?

rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2895
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...677/story.html

Didn't really know where else to put this, but it kind of is important. I guess demand is going up for flights and companies like WestJet and Air Canada have more pricing power these days, which is reflective of a strong economy and disposable income coming back to Canadians.

I don't really remember the $1 flights though, that seems way too low, especially within Canada. Maybe Ryan Air in Europe but not here. Cheapest I remember them being was $29 to Abbottsford, or $39 to Vancouver.

Room for new airlines / new competition?
Can't say I recall ever seeing $1 flights within Canada. That would obviously have to be the base fare, plus however much in taxes & fees. Your base fare prices of $29 to $39 to Vancouver are as low as I can remember. Believe they usually worked out to just under $200 roundtrip after taxes, compared to a minimum of about $300 today.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #2896
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I seem to remember $1 fares as a promotion by one of the airlines that went broke. I think it was around 2003 or 2004 and it was $1 base fares. I don't think any of the $1 fares were out of Calgary though.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #2897
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Hey Chris,

We are planning on going to New York for our honeymoon in August. I'm under the impression New York doesn't usually go on sale. However, on iTravel2000, I'm seeing a roundtrip, direct WestJet flight for $552 each after taxes & fees. Is this a good price or would it be worth it to wait and see if we can get a deal?

I'd say the bottom these days is usually in the range of $450 roundtrip after taxes. So $550 direct in the summer sounds about right. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if this will be as good as it gets.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #2898
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
I'd say the bottom these days is usually in the range of $450 roundtrip after taxes. So $550 direct in the summer sounds about right. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if this will be as good as it gets.
Thanks for the advice. For some reason the price just dropped to $532/person roundtrip on these exact flights. Considering it's only $100 more than flying to Winnipeg (for example) on the same dates, I think it's a steal, so I booked them.

They were the last two seats at that price, and now the price has gone up a full $100 for return trip, so I'm happy.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #2899
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Thanks for the advice. For some reason the price just dropped to $532/person roundtrip on these exact flights. Considering it's only $100 more than flying to Winnipeg (for example) on the same dates, I think it's a steal, so I booked them.

They were the last two seats at that price, and now the price has gone up a full $100 for return trip, so I'm happy.
Nice! I think barring a pretty unusual price drop, that's about as good a price as one can hope for. Not to rain on the parade, but compared to the cost of flying to Winnipeg, a lot of destinations can look like a steal Hawaii is an extreme example, which is often found hovering at $500 roundtrip after taxes from Calgary, and 4.2 times the distance of YYC-YWG !

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #2900
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it was Jetsgo that was offering the $1 fares. IIRC it was a promotion type thing where they would release some seats at $1 each (I'm assuming before taxes) and then you'd have to search for them on the website. Don't know how many seats they released before they were all purchased but I don't recall it changing much in terms of everyday fares.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote