Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #3381
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
Appreciate the insight on Malonga. His body language on and off the pitch was sometimes negative but your post is a reminder that this doesn't mean the player isn't invested in the team nor unhappy.

I'm a bit torn on Malonga coming back. He's a class player in this league in terms of his touch and guile. And he obviously had a healthy goal return. But I found myself still wanting more from him. His work rate as a sole striker was sometimes lacking IMO and I thought he was often wasteful in front of goal. I wonder what kind of wages he was on. My thought was he must have been one of the higher earners on the team.
Malonga is the antithesis of Brown. Brown has all the speed and size in the world, but lacks a lot of finesse and finish. Malonga however does not expend energy to create a play so much as he gets to the right spot and finished up things nicely. Not only does Malonga have a nice touch, but he also has a hammer of a strike.

If you could combine both players strengths, they would be a big shot in Europe. I think in the CPL we will never find a complete player.

Even a guy like Borges could use some size, and some experience. My guess is that when he has the latter he will be gone from this league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #3382
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Malonga is the antithesis of Brown. Brown has all the speed and size in the world, but lacks a lot of finesse and finish. Malonga however does not expend energy to create a play so much as he gets to the right spot and finished up things nicely. Not only does Malonga have a nice touch, but he also has a hammer of a strike.

If you could combine both players strengths, they would be a big shot in Europe. I think in the CPL we will never find a complete player.

Even a guy like Borges could use some size, and some experience. My guess is that when he has the latter he will be gone from this league.
Very true. I just found Malonga's finishing ability underwhelming. I've wondered what another striker in the league like Telfer or Garcia or even Ongaro could do in a team like Cavalry which created so many chances. Still, I'd be pretty happy if we got both Brown and Malonga back. Not many teams in the league had that kind of depth at striker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #3383
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the Impact have interest in Joel Waterman...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1203672651274866689

Old 12-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #3384
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Apparently the Impact have interest in Joel Waterman...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1203672651274866689
I'm guessing all the guys re-signed for the new season could potentially move on as well, right? I can't see the club holding onto a guy like Carduccci if he gets a solid offer in MLS or Europe.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #3385
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
I'm guessing all the guys re-signed for the new season could potentially move on as well, right? I can't see the club holding onto a guy like Carduccci if he gets a solid offer in MLS or Europe.
I think having players move on to better clubs would be like a badge of honour for Tommy. Also if the players can be sold for a small transfer fee that helps the financial situation.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #3386
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think having players move on to better clubs would be like a badge of honour for Tommy. Also if the players can be sold for a small transfer fee that helps the financial situation.
It also is good for attracting young talent, if the CPL and the Cavalry specifically can be a way to improve your game and get you a shot in a bigger league.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #3387
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Develop > showcase > sell" is going to be the bread and butter for this league. More than tickets, merch, broadcasting/streaming, etc. especially in the early years. And this isn't a bad thing. The league was never intended to go toe to toe with the top leagues around the world.

I would hope that the clubs and the league have a fair compensation formula in place, because that is going to help this league survive and then hopefully prosper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #3388
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
"Develop > showcase > sell" is going to be the bread and butter for this league. More than tickets, merch, broadcasting/streaming, etc. especially in the early years. And this isn't a bad thing. The league was never intended to go toe to toe with the top leagues around the world.

I would hope that the clubs and the league have a fair compensation formula in place, because that is going to help this league survive and then hopefully prosper.
Even MLS sells many of its best players to the bigger leagues. This will always be a factor.

The key will be to make sure that most leave with a transfer fee to allow for growth. In the medium term, teams will need the ability to keep some of their better players and purchase quality players in order to grow the base competition level.

Last edited by Thunderball; 12-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #3389
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPLCavalr...608070656?s=20

Any thoughts Shermanator?
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #3390
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea.

People seem to think it's Jose Hernandez, who played for Pacific last year. If it is him, I thought he was definitely worth a chance on the wing.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #3391
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Wonder if this signing means someone else is leaving.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #3392
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Wonder if this signing means someone else is leaving.

Oh yeah, players are definitely leaving. I am already surprised at how little of a turnover there has been.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #3393
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204808194461184003
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #3394
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive been keeping a list over on reddit of how the roster is shaping up.

Confirmed Returning Players:

Gabriel Bitar

Jordan Brown

Marco Carducci

Sergio Camargo

Niko Giantsopoulos

Nik Ledgerwood

Oliver Minatel

Aribim Peppl

Mason Trafford

Dominick Zator

Confirmed players leaving:

[Rumour] Sounds like other teams are interested in Joel Waterman

Confirmed new players:

Moe El Gandour

José Hernández
Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #3395
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing around on Pasquotti? I was hoping he'd be back.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #3396
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new signing has been announced. It's Jose Hernandez. 19 year old winger who played for Pacific last year. No real opinion on him personally, but if Escalante leaves (which has been the rumour) then he could be a fit to get some minutes on the wing.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204808194461184003

Old 12-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #3397
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charlie Trafford.... ?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #3398
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Charlie Trafford.... ?
I doubt it, although his contract with Inverness ends in June. He's starting regularly again and Inverness are in 2nd in the Championship right now. It's a good spot for him the last few months.

If Inverness get promoted I don't see him staying on, and if they don't get promoted I'm not sure what happens. I think it's more likely he signs with another club in the Championship than move to CPL.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #3399
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yesterday it was announced that the Fury are selling the rights to their USL franchise to Miami FC. Here's some good insight into why OSEG cut bait on soccer altogether. They are hemorrhaging money on their overall portfolio, miscalculating renovation costs and not budgeting in the cost to replace the North side of TD Place and the arena, and the Fury were losing $2.5 million a year on their own.

https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...ble-teams-here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #3400
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So yesterday it was announced that the Fury are selling the rights to their USL franchise to Miami FC. Here's some good insight into why OSEG cut bait on soccer altogether. They are hemorrhaging money on their overall portfolio, miscalculating renovation costs and not budgeting in the cost to replace the North side of TD Place and the arena, and the Fury were losing $2.5 million a year on their own.

https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...ble-teams-here
That's a long read. I'll dive into that later because it looks interesting. My skimming leads me to believe: CSA and CanPL are just convenient scapegoats, but we all knew that anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge