Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #201
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'd have to agree, it wasn't my favorite. And I'm a TG diehard.

The Trips are one of hte best parts of TG but they need to tweak them a little, it's getting a little too predictible.

- have presenters tamper with each other's car (usually the AC), check.
- gross out Hammond with food, check.
- tacky "gifts" for fellow presenters, check.
- epic vista shots in the last 30 min of show, check.
- say you love the car, since it got you this far, check.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #202
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As funny as the party was, the entire thing was staged and knowing that is was ruins it for me (honestly, you can tell). Same with the signs on the trains, while funny, were completely staged.

Even though they claim almost nothing is staged, you get the feeling that with a lot of the mishaps they are just staged because not only A) that would never happen organically, and B) the camera is always in the right angle to catch the shot.

For point B look no further than when Hammond was winching up James' car. The way the camera is angled and Hammond's expression.

Still love the show, but what made the Africa special so good was there were none of these "staged" events (for the most part), everything seemed to happen organically and that's when the show is at its best.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #203
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

TG India special wasn't their best effort, has the show jumped the shark? Perhaps.

I don't know if the budget cut did this or if they are just drained creatively, but it seems to less of what it was with every episode. I still enjoy the show, just something seems off to me.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #204
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
As funny as the party was, the entire thing was staged and knowing that is was ruins it for me (honestly, you can tell). Same with the signs on the trains, while funny, were completely staged.

Even though they claim almost nothing is staged, you get the feeling that with a lot of the mishaps they are just staged because not only A) that would never happen organically, and B) the camera is always in the right angle to catch the shot.

For point B look no further than when Hammond was winching up James' car. The way the camera is angled and Hammond's expression.

Still love the show, but what made the Africa special so good was there were none of these "staged" events (for the most part), everything seemed to happen organically and that's when the show is at its best.

Oh right.....you're the guy that thinks Top Gear isn't scripted at all....

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-29-2011 at 07:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #205
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
TG India special wasn't their best effort, has the show jumped the shark? Perhaps.

I don't know if the budget cut did this or if they are just drained creatively, but it seems to less of what it was with every episode. I still enjoy the show, just something seems off to me.

I actually thought Season 17 improved a lot, felt like they were adapting and trying some "new" things here and there.

I think they just need some new blood in the writers pool - too often they get lazy and do the old "well this got laughs last time" thing and copy it. That's when the scripting become apparent...
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #206
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

watching the special now...boring and predictable. the staged portions are even more obvious then usual. Jeremy won the uphill race by not doing what was agreed?

shocking.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #207
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sad to say but Top Gear is running out of steam. The BBC budget cuts hit it pretty hard because whenever the scripting was cruddy, they would just throw money and explosions at it.

And yes it's all scripted, staged, and done in multiple takes - even the audience is asked to laugh at the same joke again if it didn't film properly the first time).

They should toss a wrench in the works, get a 4th presenter. I'd like to see Tiff Needle back as a proper foil to Clarkson.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #208
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sad to say but Top Gear is running out of steam. The BBC budget cuts hit it pretty hard because whenever the scripting was cruddy, they would just throw money and explosions at it.

And yes it's all scripted, staged, and done in multiple takes - even the audience is asked to laugh at the same joke again if it didn't film properly the first time).

They should toss a wrench in the works, get a 4th presenter. I'd like to see Tiff Needle back as a proper foil to Clarkson.
I dislike Tiff. They need a Mexican national as a 4th presenter.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #209
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
watching the special now...boring and predictable. the staged portions are even more obvious then usual. Jeremy won the uphill race by not doing what was agreed?

shocking.
That's my problem with the staged portions, they're all predictable. At least back in series 5-10 they were all (mostly) different jokes so it didn't seem so bad. They've been using the same penis, hit May's car, mishap jokes for the past 5 series (or so) and it's really brought the show down.

No way do they get new presenters though.

Not sure how badly their budget was cut, but I don't think that's the downfall of the show. Just go review cars like you used to, they're usually always entertaining, but the show has evolved so much that if they did an entire series of just car reviews, the ratings would plummet and their be fan backlash.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #210
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, I still liked it. I laughed hysterically at the part where the banner was getting ripped out of their hands, which seemed dangerous even if it was staged.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #211
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Well, I still liked it. I laughed hysterically at the part where the banner was getting ripped out of their hands, which seemed dangerous even if it was staged.
I can't see that part being staged - which is why it was so funny for me.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #212
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still had some good laughs, wasn't expecting anything revolutionary, but was kind of disappointing feeling like I was just watching the Vietnam special again.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #213
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

New series started Sunday and I've got to say it started with a fantastic episode.

The little teaser at the beginning was superb too, this series really looks like it's going to be an amazing one. The best series so far was one with 6 episodes + Olympic special, so I have high hopes for this one.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #214
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
New series started Sunday and I've got to say it started with a fantastic episode.

The little teaser at the beginning was superb too, this series really looks like it's going to be an amazing one. The best series so far was one with 6 episodes + Olympic special, so I have high hopes for this one.
Yeah I almost think I liked last night's episode better than the India special.

I'm shortlisted to be in the audience for an episode next month, keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #215
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Yeah I almost think I liked last night's episode better than the India special.

I'm shortlisted to be in the audience for an episode next month, keep your fingers crossed for me!
Good luck in getting in! I've been on the waiting list for about 6 or 7 series' now.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #216
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in the funny video thread some time back, and figured it'd be a better fit here. For TG fans, and fans of subversive British kids' tv:

NSFW!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #217
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was the best non-special episode since the Japan race

I really liked it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #218
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chinese Stig vaulted himself into second place on the Stig list with that sweet preview.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #219
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say, Episode 3 might be my least favorite in quite a while.

I found the entire movie segment to be stupid and actually not funny at all.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #220
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I posted this in the funny video thread some time back, and figured it'd be a better fit here. For TG fans, and fans of subversive British kids' tv:

NSFW!

The guy that did Rainbow was quite the perv, there were always dirty versions they did to entertain themselves I suppose.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote