Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #61
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Sorry for your loss, maybe have a family night where you can build a little memorial and swap stories--cry a lot? Like a mini wake--give the kids root beer shooters after (ok i made that last part up).

Now I have to go hug my cat.
MRCboicgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #62
evilcougar
Self-Ban

Exp:

well, i don't currently own any pets, but, this thread has certainly brought back all the fun memories of pets from my past....some had to be put down, some ran away...either way, its sad, and i'm really sorry you have to go thru this sample.

a good friend of mine just recently put her cat down after owning her for 22 years. she was devastated.
hug him lots tonight and tmrw, you'll know he's at peace, and is ok with the decision you've made for him.
evilcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #63
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I wouldn't bump this thread for no good reason. Last night, we had our longtime companion Levi put to sleep. Although we'd been preparing for it for weeks, both of us are completely devastated. I keep trying to tell myself that he was just a dog, but he really was my friend--maybe my best friend in the world. I don't mind admitting that I cried when I held his head in my lap as he took his last breath--or that I've teared up many times in the 24 hours since. But I wanted to share a tribute to him that I posted on my family's blog. Those of you with furry friends--appreciate them. Their lives are more fleeting than you know.

Levi
September 1997--April 2009
This Friday evening was a very sad day in the Benediktsson family. Our longtime friend and faithful companion Levi passed away after a long adventure-filled life. In the end, his passing was quiet and dignified, and we felt blessed to be able to spare him from a protracted and painful battle with liver cancer--but that didn't make the decision that we had to make any easier.

Levi joined our family shortly before Christmas of 1997, when we were young, foolish and unprepared for the challenges of dog ownership. In a way, he taught us as much as we taught him about life with a canine companion. We learned to be good leaders; to lead firmly and consistently without malice or anger. We learned to be patient; to breathe deeply and enjoy the moments of bliss that may be found in simple things. Above all, we learned that no earthly pleasure is greater than swimming, running, or chasing a tennis ball--and that no earthly treasure is more valuable than friendship itself. We also learned that true friendship requires no speech: togetherness is its own language, and Levi communicated to us his love and devotion every day of his life, in a language that if one but stoops to listen, contains within it a magical, mute poetry of great power and great import.

He was brave and stoic to the end. We learned of his illness only when he could not conceal it from us any longer, and our hearts have been heavy these last eight months, knowing that each one could be the last one that he would share with us. However, our final days with him have been a gift, one we will never forget. He shared with us his companionship; we thanked him by shielding him from suffering.

I think we got the better deal. Levi, you were a better dog than I was an owner. I'll always miss you--and if there's one thing I want you to take with you wherever it is that you go, it's this:

Good boy. You did good.

Now rest.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #64
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

that is an awesome, awesome tribute. Thanks for sharing.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #65
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A very moving post. Thanks for sharing IFF.

It brings backs memories of the dogs i had growing up and the emotional pain of having to put them down.

Last edited by Dion; 04-19-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #66
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

IFF - I am so sorry for your loss. Levi was a very lucky dog to have you and your family and you were lucky to have him. Times like these are very hard as our pets are a big part of our family....but treasure the good times you guys had. Levi is okay now, not in pain. In fact, he's having fun at the Rainbow Bridge.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OilersBaby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #67
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now you have me bawling and missing my Jessie....

A beautiful tribute.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well done IFF...and we too are facing the same decision soon for the same reasons as Sample's dog.

Heart-wrenching stuff as this is the first dog i have ever had due to severe allergies to most.

This thread however i find both inspiring and theraputic. Pets are awesome.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #69
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well done IFF...and we too are facing the same decision soon for the same reasons as Sample's dog.

Heart-wrenching stuff as this is the first dog i have ever had due to severe allergies to most.

This thread however i find both inspiring and theraputic. Pets are awesome.
I wish I could tell you it was going to be easy, but just know that we have the ability to give our pets a great gift--and that is to spare them the suffering of a protracted and painful death.

One thing I can't complain about is how peacefully my buddy passed away. He just closed his eyes and went to sleep--and my wife says that at the moment that the light left his eyes, she felt in her heart that he was at peace, finally. We should all pray for such a peaceful and dignified end of life.

But part of you will rebel against the idea of it. Part of you will feel horrible inside--and that's the burden we have to bear, I guess. Good luck, and I feel for you. In some ways the uncertainty leading up to the decision is very hard.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #70
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for posting that tribute IFF. I'm sorry for your loss.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #71
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

• The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Sorry for your loss Iowa (and going back) to Sample. It is sure not easy. I had to put my 14 year old female dog down in October, and my male of the same age is not far off, and I dread the day. They sure do become part of the family.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #72
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My heart breaks for you buddy, it really does. I get more emotional over threads like this than I do for threads dealing with human deaths. Sorry for your loss, thanks for obviously being such a great dog owner. Levi would be thanking you right now I'm sure.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metallicat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #73
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

To IFF,
I share your pain.
Its been a couple of weeks now since we had our dog put down and time makes things a bit better. Our home is getting used to not having him around but it was difficult the first few days.
I wanted to let everyone know that the local vet clinic staff was simply amazing in the process. I couldnt have asked for better.
We had our dog cremated and he now sits with his friend on our mantle. His friend passed on a few years ago.
Together again just like when they were alive.
thanks for all the good thoughts.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sample00 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #74
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am sorry to hear of your loss IFF, I've been through the same twice in the last two years. I just got a new pup last weekend and I know that one day she will break my heart also. Remember that it's not "just a dog".

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought aobut by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."

~Unknown Author~
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AvsJerk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #75
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of our dogs was attacked this week. The vet bill was $800 and I don't know if we can report it to the cops or what. Put up posters looking for info on the people to recoup the money. But the point is we coughed up the dough because the dog is a member of the family. It's a hardship and it's going to cost us a sacrifice in some other area for sure but hey that dog has been part of our family for a long time.

Could have just put it down as it was hurt bigtime but just couldn't do it. I'd personally hold out right till it becomes a financial burden that can't be borne.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #76
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
yes, not exactly the most cheeriest of topics but something I was hoping to get some input on from the CP faithful.

Our dog is 15 years old. He's a little dog, poodle to be exact and he's been a good pet for all his 15 years.

recently, our dog was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. The heart is pressing on his trachia and thereby its causing him to cough in fits. This occurs mostly in the evening and night while he is in a resting position. He also has a history of seizures, not sure if they are epileptic or not but they leave him quite disorientated, generally for about 15 minutes or so. Afterwards he seems to recover to his old self. Lately the seizures have been occuring more frequently and coupled with the coughing its made for a few messy nights in bed (vomiting and peeing). Yes, the dog sleeps with us.

throughout the day, he is still fairly spry. Doesnt play quite like he use to but in general still eats well and moves around quite well.

we took him to the vet and the vet prescribed some heart medication for him. The pills run about $70.00 per month. They are made to give him more comfort and even the Vet said that he will most likely require the dosage to be increased to double in a short time. This will take the cost of the medication to approx. $140.00 per month.

My children are still young. 13 and 11 and my son is quite attached to the dog. As he puts it, Louie is his buddy!

which brings me to the point at hand. At what time does one take the pup and have him euthanised. It pulls at the ole heart strings for sure, but is there a right time and then is there a time when you have waited too long and the dog is suffering. I don't want the dog to suffer and I also dont want to break my children's heart. Its quite the quandry.

Anybody have some insight?
It's not an easy thing to go through that's for sure. The only thing I can say will seem like a cliche but here it is anyways....you'll know when the time is right. It sounds like he's enjoying life at the moment so based on what you've written would lead me to believe the time isn't quite right, but based on his condition and age it likely will be time sooner rather than later. Use this time to prepare the kids for the eventuality. They'll need it. They are older kids as well so you may want to consider having the kids with the dog at the time of his death (personal decision).
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #77
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It's not an easy thing to go through that's for sure. The only thing I can say will seem like a cliche but here it is anyways....you'll know when the time is right. It sounds like he's enjoying life at the moment so based on what you've written would lead me to believe the time isn't quite right, but based on his condition and age it likely will be time sooner rather than later. Use this time to prepare the kids for the eventuality. They'll need it. They are older kids as well so you may want to consider having the kids with the dog at the time of his death (personal decision).
ummm, I had to put our pet down already.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #78
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
But the point is we coughed up the dough because the dog is a member of the family. It's a hardship and it's going to cost us a sacrifice in some other area for sure but hey that dog has been part of our family for a long time.

Could have just put it down as it was hurt bigtime but just couldn't do it. I'd personally hold out right till it becomes a financial burden that can't be borne.
Well done. I don't think I could live with myself if I was too cheap to pay a vet bill. To some it sounds ridiculous paying bills like that. Those people have never been greeted by pet.

IFF, wicked tribute.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #79
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, some people get really emotionally attached to their pets.

I would never pay a massive vet bill to save my dog...............but of course I love him.
I grew up in rural Alberta and when the time comes when Rover is getting weak/sick and old, we get a friend to take him out to the pasture with a rifle and do the deed. I dont think I could do it myself.............
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #80
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Wow, some people get really emotionally attached to their pets.

I would never pay a massive vet bill to save my dog...............but of course I love him.
I grew up in rural Alberta and when the time comes when Rover is getting weak/sick and old, we get a friend to take him out to the pasture with a rifle and do the deed. I dont think I could do it myself.............
Un-thanks?
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enthused For This Useful Post: