Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2022, 01:12 PM   #1
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Leak in pipe - plumber recommendations?

Hoping someone has a line on a good person to call about this. I noticed this morning that there's a line about 3 feet long and 4 inches wide of discoloration in my ceiling on the main floor of my house. Got up on a stepladder and while it's not soggy or dripping, it is cold and slightly damp. So I shut off my water and drained the pipes, and confirmed with my insurance that it's covered. All good so far - hopefully just a minor slow leak.

Next step is getting someone to do an estimate, so off to CP I go for the brain trust here. Who in town do people trust to do this sort of thing, and are there any spots that people know of that do free estimates? I'm not going to initiate a claim and jack up my home insurance premium if the ultimate cost to repair this is in the ballpark of my deductible anyway, so I want to find out what I'm looking at.

Really annoying to have this happen in a fairly new (just over 5 year old) building, but I guess it could be worse, or it could have happened when I was away, or something like that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pete the plumber is a really good base line.

It's not to say that you can do it for cheaper or better quality, but IMO, I was quite happy with their service/price and quite annoyed with 2-3 others I had contacted for other services/price and a variety of random reasons.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

To have that happen to such a new house is disappointing. Have you contacted the builder and I'm guessing it's not covered under warranty?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's covered under my insurance but yeah, it looks to me like new home warranty for pipes is 2 years. I'm well past that. I might get in touch with them to see if they'll give me any help with the bill once I've got it done but I don't see how they have any actual obligation to do so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you done any preliminary investigation, like around your sink fixtures in the room above? TP wrapped in suspect places is handy to spot tiny slow drips.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there's nothing apparent in the rooms above... It really does look like a pipe in between the floors is the culprit. The fact that the stain is long and roughly the width of a pipe also seems like an indicator, but I'm not sure if I'm just making a leap in logic there.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, there's nothing apparent in the rooms above... It really does look like a pipe in between the floors is the culprit. The fact that the stain is long and roughly the width of a pipe also seems like an indicator, but I'm not sure if I'm just making a leap in logic there.

something to check Corsi... if i was to guess, the water is traveling along a joist between the the two floors. do you have any "water" in line with the water stain? just thinking if something is leaking the water would drip down to the joist, then slowly work it's way along the joist until it finally becomes visible in the ceiling.

i know we had a minor slow leak from the water line going into a toilet. i guess the fitting just loosened off a bit over the years to cause a very minor leak and thankfully it was super easy to fix (tighten the fitting). hopefully it's something a simple as that.