Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #201
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came across this video the other day. One of the subjects is a black man from Hamilton. It was pretty infuriating to watch.

While the video shows that anyone can get unjustly treated, I can't help but think a white guy in Hamilton case would have been treated much differently and given the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #202
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
So how do we address something by it's old name or in a foreign language if the word is inappropriate?
"No one can say that word regardless of race at school. Why can you say it but not others?" There, I got the exact point and discussion the principal wanted to create without saying the word to a bunch of Black students.

"Back in my day we used to call those candies a derogatory word for Black babies." If they persist, "They were called N-word babies but with the actual word."

Neither were complicated. Both adults wanted to assert dominance and racism towards the students, I won't be convinced otherwise given how absolutely easy it was to avoid saying what they did.

There's certainly more nuance discussion when dealing with books like "To Kill a Mockingbird" but there's where you need to have a discussion on the word, the history of the book and give the students an understanding that the usage of the word was used to denote racist trash while also being reality. I can appreciate that there is much harder discussions to be had but a principal and teacher just using the word flippantly when there was no need means they wanted to say it.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-10-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-r...tion-1.5140999

I saw this thinking, are these guys serious, downplaying COVID like this?

Turns out people weren’t mad because of COVID. They were mad because white guys pretending to be ninjas is racist. Either way, morons.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #204
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
They were mad because white guys pretending to be ninjas is racist.
Wait - what?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #205
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were also mad because Covid was written with an Asian style font and strike through.

I didn’t think it was bad but this is where we are.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #206
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

is it about race only? or nationality too?
Why are those IKEA commercials on the radio with that awful Swedish accent ok?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #207
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah...I can’t accept that anything about that is racist. The people up in arms about something like this are, for lack of a better term, ####ing stupid.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #208
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I came across this video the other day. One of the subjects is a black man from Hamilton. It was pretty infuriating to watch.

While the video shows that anyone can get unjustly treated, I can't help but think a white guy in Hamilton case would have been treated much differently and given the benefit of the doubt.
That is infuriating. That racist/incompetent cop is not only still on the force, but was promoted.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #209
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe what’s more interesting is that CTV ran a story about the sign on its national website.

The social media age has completely redefined what is actually newsworthy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #210
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never fact checked this but I do remember hearing the officers in the beating of Rodney King are all now higher-ups in the LAPD, Captains and etc.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #211
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Yeah...I can’t accept that anything about that is racist. The people up in arms about something like this are, for lack of a better term, ####ing stupid.
I agree, they look like fools on the billboard, but not racist at all.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #212
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a terrible ad but if you're upset by it, you might be a moron.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #213
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I never fact checked this but I do remember hearing the officers in the beating of Rodney King are all now higher-ups in the LAPD, Captains and etc.
You should fact check this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.busi...w-2017-4%3famp
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #214
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Wait - what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
They were also mad because Covid was written with an Asian style font and strike through.

I didn’t think it was bad but this is where we are.
Quote:

Here's is the problem today. Yeah it's a bad idea and if one of you guys thought of it, what would you do in this situation in the aftermath? You can't just say sorry, it was a silly, stupid cringe idea. That's not good enough. You have to do a total hari-kari and apologize and have self-reflection. Check out the quote in the article.

Quote:
Realtor Michael Majeski, who is featured on the billboard, said that he was surprised to read the responses to his advertisements but that, looking back, he sees “a lot of validity in what people are saying.”

“I am learning to unlearn a lot of my white privilege so that I can best support our diverse community,” he said in a statement. “I not only apologize for the insensitivities of our billboard ad, and have already worked to have it removed immediately; I am also apologizing to anyone who felt belittled by our insensitive message. It will not happen again.”

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #215
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's easy to see why that bilboard is offensive. If they were dressed up as rappers with some tacky rhyme as their message it would be patent cultural appropriation. A no brainer. This isn't hard. But it also doesnt mean everyone will find it offensive.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #216
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree for sure Girly.

So the realtors likely hired an ad agency that arguably screwed up.

But the mea culpa was over the top. What some PR agency advised they should refer to a reassessment of their white privilege? Unbelievable.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #217
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think it's easy to see why that bilboard is offensive. If they were dressed up as rappers with some tacky rhyme as their message it would be patent cultural appropriation. A no brainer. This isn't hard. But it also doesnt mean everyone will find it offensive.
Ima need some help here.

Without just repeating the ad, what could be offensive? I’m asking, because I seriously can’t see that logic. I mean, unless the argument is any reference, portrayal, or use of cultural, racial, or vocational imagery is automatically appropriation; a notion I vehemently disagree with and think would be a huge step backwards.

Let’s get one thing real clear: Rap music cannot be ‘culturally appropriated’ by some ticky-tack whack advert rhyme.

‘Dressed up as rappers’? I’m assuming you meant to say like a gangster, because rap styles pretty damn diverse and Urban and Street wear is pretty hip these days. Not that the people in the ad in question were dressed up in anything other than regular business clothes.

Last edited by 81MC; 10-11-2020 at 06:08 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #218
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ima need some help here.

Without just repeating the ad, what could be offensive? I’m asking, because I seriously can’t see that logic. I mean, unless the argument is any reference, portrayal, or use of cultural, racial, or vocational imagery is automatically appropriation; a notion I vehemently disagree with and think would be a huge step backwards.

Let’s get one thing real clear: Rap music cannot be ‘culturally appropriated’ by some ticky-tack whack advert rhyme.

‘Dressed up as rappers’? I’m assuming you meant to say like a gangster, because rap styles pretty damn diverse and Urban and Street wear is pretty hip these days. Not that the people in the ad in question were dressed up in anything other than regular business clothes.

The gist of it is that you're taking something cultural and then accentuating the "Japaneseness" of it to get a larf. The stylized letters especially, but also the silly "ninja" moves being portrayed by the guys pictured. It's kind of like saying in a really bad accent "Hey look at me I so Japanese-ee". People have portrayed "ninjas" in a very Hollywood manner with the black costume and red bandana and sword for a long time. But it's just that, a costume we took from another culture to portray it in a way we're comfortable with and get a chuckle from, not in a way that honors the reality of it. And so it's disrespectful. That's cultural appropriation by definition.

So if these guys wore an oversized clock necklace and do-rag with a quote in graffiti script that rhymed something with real estate it would be fairly obviously offensive. They're making fun of, not genuinely representing hip hop culture. This ad may be a little less obvious, but it's the same thing exactly.

It's weird you'd find the term Karen racist but not this.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #219
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The stylized letters especially, but also the silly "ninja" moves being portrayed by the guys pictured. It's kind of like saying in a really bad accent "Hey look at me I so Japanese-ee".
The font is offensive? The font? It’s not even Japanese looking.

And it is nothing at all like offensive Japanese caricatures. I find it more ignorant and offensive that anyone would compare the two. It shows a complete lack of cultural awareness.

Quote:
People have portrayed "ninjas" in a very Hollywood manner with the black costume and red bandana and sword for a long time. But it's just that, a costume we took from another culture to portray it in a way we're comfortable with and get a chuckle from, not in a way that honors the reality of it. And so it's disrespectful. That's cultural appropriation by definition.
Which they didn’t do, at all. Not even close. How is this even relevant to the discussion? They’re wearing suits. Like realtors do.

Also, the article fails to mention how many people got offended. It could literally be like 5 angry Karens. Like Bill Burr talked about last night.

Did you know the LOTR Two Towers movie was the subject of controversy because of the connotation linking it to 9/11? Thank god it was released pre-Twitter or they’d have been forced to change the name thanks to a few angry people on Twitter.

The new Birth of a Nation ladies and gentlemen. We shouldn’t be teaching that movie in universities anymore. Here is your new movie that gave rise to hatred and racism in America:

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-11-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #220
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The font is offensive? The font? It’s not even Japanese looking.

It is. It's Japanese menu font. Exactly. Don't know what you're looking at.

Quote:
And it is nothing at all like offensive Japanese caricatures. I find it more ignorant and offensive that anyone would compare the two. It shows a complete lack of cultural awareness

It's two guys in suits pretending to be Japanese characters to get attention or a laugh. I'm puzzled why this is hard to get.

Quote:
Also, the article fails to mention how many people got offended. It could literally be like 5 angry Karens.

Why would that matter? It either is or is not offensive. You don't think it is and that's fine.