Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey Capt

i figured this would have been on your list too...

Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know why, but I left animated out of it, though Kanan's death in Rebels, Satine's death in Clone Wars. Even Jessie's death in the last episode were all emotional.

Fry's dogs death in Futurama absolutely gutted me as he waited for a master that was never coming home.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know why, but I left animated out of it, though Kanan's death in Rebels, Satine's death in Clone Wars. Even Jessie's death in the last episode were all emotional.

Fry's dogs death in Futurama absolutely gutted me as he waited for a master that was never coming home.

a few notable deaths (such as Maude Flanders) in the Simpsons over the years, I guess the poignant one that comes to mind is Bleeding Gums Murphy
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #24
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ragnar Lothbrok's death on Vikings

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #25
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

This is one of the saddest scenes ever made. I had blocked it from my memory.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Archie Bunker

The death of Edith Bunker

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ykux7

Archie Bunker was a pretty unabashed racist in a time in American history when sadly casual racism was acceptable.

I remember there was one episode in Archie Bunkers place where he was having a conversation after hours in his bar, I can't remember who, and he came to realize that he had been taught racism by his father and his father before him and he never had or took a chance to change. It was a really powerful scene. Or it could be my imagination that I saw it.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #27
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ryan Chapelle's death in 24, just because I assumed they would find a way out of it.

David' Palmer's death in 24, happening right at the beginning of the season.

Evan Gomez' death in Nash Bridges, just the way Harve told Nash while he was undercover and couldn't respond properly.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #28
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tara's death on Sons of Anarchy still holds up as one of the most horrifying things I've ever watched on TV. It's just so incredibly violent and brutal.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

My wife was never really a cartoon watcher but I eventually got her into Bob's Burgers, American Dad and Futurama. I'll never forget when we got to this episode - as it ended she just looked at me with tears in her eyes and a look of disbelief. She eventually muttered something about '#### this show' and got up and walked away. She was pretty upset about it for days. Such a tough and touching episode for any dog lover.

Back on track, if you haven't watched The Morning Show on Apple TV+, then I'll spoiler this:

Spoiler!
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #30
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Archie Bunker was a pretty unabashed racist in a time in American history when sadly casual racism was acceptable.

I remember there was one episode in Archie Bunkers place where he was having a conversation after hours in his bar, I can't remember who, and he came to realize that he had been taught racism by his father and his father before him and he never had or took a chance to change. It was a really powerful scene. Or it could be my imagination that I saw it.
I wonder about shows like this, and the fact that they will never be made again in today's climate. It was a comedy, with a touch of family drama and social commentary, really a template of what a lot of comedy became after it.

The main character had a fatal flaw in that he was a racist and a bigot, but the stature of man that he was beneath that, was such that people forgave him, and stuck with him. Over the entire arc of the show, it was a touching story about redeeming someone who today would be written off, and as much about the people who put in the time to educate Archie, as about Archie himself.

(That's not even taking into consideration the amazing character that Edith was.)

All in the Family is probably in the process of being banned right now.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #31
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Can I volunteer a TV death that happened on a show with such hamhanded writing it was tough to watch?

We still get a chuckle out of this. My young daughter sitting in the back seat with an ice cream cone, asked to see my phone, and puts on Drift Away

http://foreveryoungadult.com/2016/10...ject-oh-mitch/

Quote:
Dawson's decided to drop out of USC's prestigious film school for good, and stay in Boston so he can basically hang out with his friends and hopefully get to see Joey's boobs for the first time in their entire lives. (I'd like to remind you here that USC film school was supposedly Dawson's dream.) He takes the bus home to Capeside to break the news to his parents, and they are obviously pissed. How much did they pay for Dawson's first semester at USC, which he ditched in OCTOBER? Yes, it's the second month of the school year and Dawson's already bailed. He's so certain this is the right move for him, refusing to listen to poor Mitch, while Gail admits she doesn't exactly hate the idea of Dawson being only a couple of hours away instead of across the country. He and Mitch fight and fight and fight, but Dawson sticks to his pretty stupid guns, and then before Dawson gets on the bus back to Boston, Mitch tells him he's disappointed in him, which is pretty harsh, but that he'll always, always love his son. I'm glad he said that, because the episode ends TERRIBLY. Mitch is getting ice cream in the middle of the night, and jamming out to the car radio, when his ice cream scoop falls off his cone. He leans down to retrieve the scoop, and the lights of an oncoming truck flood his car, before the episode ominously fades to black.

DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Aren't we supposed to call him The Dawson.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those that haven't seen Gangster Nos 1 Lenny Tailors death is fair grim, Not even close to suitable for work!!

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Tara's death on Sons of Anarchy still holds up as one of the most horrifying things I've ever watched on TV. It's just so incredibly violent and brutal.

Oh gosh yes. Horrifying!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #35
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Logan in Veronica Mars
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #36
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Adriana in The Sopranos pops up in my mind as one of the hardest. Incredible scene.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #37
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Adriana in The Sopranos pops up in my mind as one of the hardest. Incredible scene.
I legit thought she was going to be taken to the hospital

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #38
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

For those that watch Chicago Fire it's the death of "Otis" - Brain Zovonec

Old 06-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #39
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Rob Reiner: We Have Archie Bunker In The White House

Old 06-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #40
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two pages in and not a mention? I'm amazed!!

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: