Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #61
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, friend of mine had her bike stolen from her second story apartment. The thieves stole a ladder to get up, took the bike down somehow and then screwed off with it. That's dedication.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Strava vs Garmin

I find any phone based GPS app to not be nearly as accurate as a full-blown GPS. I always laugh at my buddies who use the ski tracker app and claim they were going 20 km/h faster than my gps registered, yet never seem to be able to pass.

However that seems like a huge difference.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #63
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
RE: Strava vs Garmin

I find any phone based GPS app to not be nearly as accurate as a full-blown GPS. I always laugh at my buddies who use the ski tracker app and claim they were going 20 km/h faster than my gps registered, yet never seem to be able to pass.

However that seems like a huge difference.

Wasn’t using the phone based GPS. This was after syncing my watch to upload my results go Garmin Connect. Strava then sync’d that data and fiddled with the data.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #64
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Ohhh I read that entirely wrong then.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #65
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode elbow loop for r the first time ever today.

It is a long hard ride, but overall I enjoyed it,as some of the scenery is awesome and it is cool to get into the back country. The first portion of big elbow is fantastic. Some of the views from the single track.

I will put this on my once a year list for sure.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #66
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Strava, I'm not sure what the differences in elevation would have been, but the "auto-pause" you noted doesn't make a difference for Strava as its times are "Moving Time." If you look at the specific run or bike you will see underneath the moving time there is "elapsed time" as well. Segments are still measured in elapsed time however.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #67
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Update on Rossland.

My bike got stolen overnight Fri/Sat. The locals were quite surprised, as people leave their 10k bikes out without locks. They cut and broke through two locks to get to mine. Anyways, I need to give a huge shout out to Revolution Cycles in Rossland for some incredible compassionate pricing and getting me back on the road for Sunday. Took the new whip up the seven summits and boy did it challenge me, but what a ride. Such a beautiful part of B.C.

On to Kelowna.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ what kind of rig did you buy and if you feel comfortable, what kind of discount did they give.

I have a bit of a moral question for the group - i am heading out to kelowna next week and am meeting with a friend. our plan was to ride beowolf at silverstar.

silverstar does not open until 10 - he wants to go there and ride early in the morning to avoid the heat. basically he wants us to ride the trail when the park is not yet open for the day.

personally, i hate being that kind of irresponsible rider. but i am open to having my mind changed if someone could present a compelling argument.

riding in the heat does not bother me, so i will likely ride this trail regardless.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #69
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I ended up getting a Giant Reign 2, it’s certainly more beefier then my Norco was. I don’t really feel comfortable sharing $$, but MSRP is $3300. I figure the price that the guys gave me was essentially cost plus man hours to build. I ended up buying a bunch of tools and stuff to try and level it out a touch. They were genuinely concerned that I come back and the rest of my trip was a success. So if you’re ever rolling through, support these guys for supporting a Cp’er in their time of need!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #70
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
Update on Rossland.

My bike got stolen overnight Fri/Sat. The locals were quite surprised, as people leave their 10k bikes out without locks. They cut and broke through two locks to get to mine.
What, you don't sleep with your bike in your room? What kind of animal are you?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #71
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Lesson learned.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #72
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah man, too bad about your bike. But yes, always take it in the room. From my experience, all hotels in biking towns will allow the bike in the room, or provide lockup in a conference room. Rossland is awesome. Such a beautiful place.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that is solid that they did for you given you are not a regular customer. no on-line place would have been a position to save your trip like that.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #74
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

North side of Bow River Path is closed at 29th street NW to 14th street NW. (Crowchild/Memorial Construction)

Couldn't find anything on the website related to this. Apparently you have to go through West Hillhurst to 14th St. or Cross the river at Edworthy. (Which has horrible sections of pathway) This is in effect for this biking season. Some signage anywhere well in advance of 29th would have been nice.

Why did they close access to the Girl Guide bridge over memorial. I loved the detour sign on this bridge that is a detour into a fence closure at 14th. Why can't they move the fence at 14th street 100m and allow that bridge to be used.

I'd log a call on 311 but I don't live within the city limits.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #75
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, so the bridge by the Scout/Girl Guide building is also closed? I thought the idea was anyone riding westbound used that to cross over Memorial and then onto the new pathway that runs to Crowchild and will let you connect to 5th avenue to continue westbound.

I actually have to try this route tomorrow morning, so I hope it works.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #76
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, the City doesn't even have the closure up on their bike path page (last updated July 5th...). CBC has an article online now and I guess that the north Bow path is closed from 14th street west to 29th like you said JohnnyO. Guess I need to change my plan for tomorrow morning, will probably just go right to 5th avenue at 10th street and head west from there.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #77
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Wait, so the bridge by the Scout/Girl Guide building is also closed? I thought the idea was anyone riding westbound used that to cross over Memorial and then onto the new pathway that runs to Crowchild and will let you connect to 5th avenue to continue westbound.

I actually have to try this route tomorrow morning, so I hope it works.
The stupid thing is the bridge is open but leads to a dead end fence. (You can go around the fence heading east at 14th but you have to hop on memorial to do so)

You need to go north on 14th st from the bow river path and then cut into West Hillhurst and head west through the neighborhood, then wait 5-10mins to cross Crowchild, then make your way to 29th st to cross memorial at the light to get back to the North Side West bound path.

Complete Lunacy!!!
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #78
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else get totally annihilated on the way home yesterday? The rain I could handle but the hail was painful! LOL - took shelter with three other cyclists on Acadia in a bus shelter til it passed.

The north wind was amazing though - 35kmh and barely cranking.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #79
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I bugged out when I saw it coming on the radar. Beat it home by 30 min.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #80
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yep, set some personal bests on the way. Made it about 23 out of my 28 km before I had to duck into the cart corral at Walmart on 130th. Then waited for the rain to just slow down and went for it. Totally soaked on the way home.

It was fun/scary being on Lynnview Ridge looking at the ominous clouds and hearing the constant roar of thunder.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: