Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
It might be the pots- I have some cheaper ones where the handles heat up, and some better ones that don't.
Could be, although I always thought they were decent.

Maybe I'll invest in one really good pot to test it out before replacing everything. What should I be paying for a good quality pot that would be about the size you'd want to make some KD? Where should I go?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You probably just have the flame to high. If mine is on full, it will overheat the edges, turning it down a little heats in the same time, but the flames stay more contained and doesn't heat the handle.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #43
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have the 36" 5 Burner Miele induction cooktop as well. When we bought it, Trail had a promo going and it came with a 10 year warranty. Quick to boil water and cleanup is a breeze. We were able to downgrade the hood fan as well by using induction over gas.

We had a Samsung Induction Stove at our old place what a P.O.S.

With pre teen kids around we like that they can start cooking stuff on their own now. Not sure I would feel that way with them cooking over a flame.

Only problem I had was finding a good Moka Pot that would work with it, but eventually found one online.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #44
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a Bosch gas range, it's pretty sweet. Once in a while we just throw the grills in the dishwasher and give the stainless steel a good wipe down.

I've cooked with induction before and it's a lot easier to keep clean as you go. I find it's a little more difficult to cook with though.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #45
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Maybe I'll invest in one really good pot to test it out before replacing everything. What should I be paying for a good quality pot that would be about the size you'd want to make some KD? Where should I go?
oh I know, the Pot District, is the answer the Pot District?

That being said, we have metal handles on our pots, but when we had a gas range we had no issues with heated handles as long as the burner was an appropriate size, IE: we avoid small pot on big burner.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
oh I know, the Pot District, is the answer the Pot District?

That being said, we have metal handles on our pots, but when we had a gas range we had no issues with heated handles as long as the burner was an appropriate size, IE: we avoid small pot on big burner.
Yeah, I try to do that, but I must be fataing it up somehow. I'll play with the burner size to pot size ratio some more.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #47
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have had induction for a while now. Boils water uber fast.

Love the safety features. Cleaning is super easy.

I would agree - would have a hard time going back to natural gas.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Winners/Homesense? I don't think anything over $30 for any single pot or pan is necessary. Things go on sale and you'd vomit at how much discount you can sometimes get on these darn things.

IIRC, if the flames are licking around the edges of the pot, it's being less efficient than if the flames are properly inside the "boundaries" of the bottom of the pot.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #49
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Winners/Homesense? I don't think anything over $30 for any single pot or pan is necessary. Things go on sale and you'd vomit at how much discount you can sometimes get on these darn things.

IIRC, if the flames are licking around the edges of the pot, it's being less efficient than if the flames are properly inside the "boundaries" of the bottom of the pot.
Superstore carried really nice series of pots and pans, made by Mayer I think, good thick stainless steel base for even heat, riveted handle not spot welded, and best of all you can buy them as individual pots, the sets are a waste of time for me (and I suspect most people).
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had a gas range, so I can't really compare, however the induction is really incredible. Frankly if you're going from a "normal" electric range to either gas or induction you're going to be thrilled. The induction in comparison is amazing and I'm sure that the gas would be for all the same reasons.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #51
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Superstore carried really nice series of pots and pans, made by Mayer I think, good thick stainless steel base for even heat, riveted handle not spot welded, and best of all you can buy them as individual pots, the sets are a waste of time for me (and I suspect most people).
Okay, it can't be a pot problem, then. I bought mine at The Bay and they were more expensive than both those options. I'll just keep taking stuff off with an oven mitt, I guess.

My vote is go induction.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Gas is easy to clean. Just cut out a giant piece of aluminum foil with holes for the burners and put it down before you drop on the grills. Just throw out the sheet every month and replace. All the gunk that drops down and carbonizes is only the aluminum.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #53
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I had induction but now have gas. I prefer gas but I think mainly because cooking with that kind of heat is visual and audible and makes you feel more like a chef.

On the other hand it is easier to become more precise with your temperature with induction and it is more powerful.

I had a Bosch induction cooktop and the part that I found annoying was, it's either off or on and makes a clicking noise every time it switches. It maintains its temperature by alternating between off and on at intervals. So when you set a temp, one it hit that temp, it starts clicking off and then on to maintain that temperature.

As a result I still prefer gas but have a portable induction burner I use on occasion.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #54
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I have a 6 element 36" Viking induction in my house at Priddis and a 5 element 36" Miele induction in my house in Calgary.

No comparison between the two. If you can afford it, go with Viking all day long...named Brigade in Canada.

I got the Miele because it has a bridge element. The main thing I don't like withe the Miele is the touch control. You can set each element to 9 settings and each element, including the bridge element has a boost.

But you can't get any setting between those 9 settings, so no 4.5 etc. I am sure the Miele would be MORE than satisfactory for most cooks but when you get used to all that extra control, well you miss it immediately.

My Viking has knobs and the settings are almost infinite.

I am seriously thinking about going back to the Viking (Brigade) and selling my Miele which is not even a year old.

EDIT: By the way, I have had my Viking induction going on 8 years or so and not one issue.
When I worked in kitchens, a lot of the appliances were Viking. I loved them. Several years later I bought a townhome, with one main reason being the appliances were all Viking. I had nothing but problems with them. The dishwasher died. The ice machine in the freezer stopped working. For the gas cooktop, only the front right one would work properly. If any of the other ones were turned on the back left burner would try and start, even if it was already on. It was super annoying to be cooking for an hour and hearing click-click-click. I tried every solution I could find to fix it, and customer service was terrible. That said, I'm sure there are people, like yourself, that have owned Viking appliances with zero problems.

In my house I'm putting in a Miele gas cooktop, with griddle, convection oven, combi steam oven, hood, and dishwasher. When I tested all the products out, I thought they were the best. I like the look of the Wolf products better, but the Miele ones still look sharp. I went with a Samsung fridge, with the main reason being the dimensions, and a close second being the features.

I prefer gas over induction, especially if you are sauteing. The utility charges are cheaper, and I like the precision. I also like how I don't need special pots. I'm sure induction is great, but I believe gas is better.

For those saying the gas cooktops are hard to clean, what are you doing? When I had my Viking for six years, and I cleaned it after I used it. It didn't take more than a few minutes. Every now and then I'd pull it apart and give it a deep clean. If you are creating that much of a mess, you should watch the pots a little more closely, or turn the heat down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #55
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I buy my cookwares at spatula city!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #56
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I just switched to gas from electric in October.

I always need to wear an oven mitt to take stuff off the stove now, which I've never had to do in my whole life. Is this normal?
This is my first home with a gas range and I burnt my hand many times. Haha
I always reach for an oven mitt now so I'm just assuming its normal.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #57
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
When I worked in kitchens, a lot of the appliances were Viking. I loved them. Several years later I bought a townhome, with one main reason being the appliances were all Viking. I had nothing but problems with them. The dishwasher died. The ice machine in the freezer stopped working. For the gas cooktop, only the front right one would work properly. If any of the other ones were turned on the back left burner would try and start, even if it was already on. It was super annoying to be cooking for an hour and hearing click-click-click. I tried every solution I could find to fix it, and customer service was terrible. That said, I'm sure there are people, like yourself, that have owned Viking appliances with zero problems.

In my house I'm putting in a Miele gas cooktop, with griddle, convection oven, combi steam oven, hood, and dishwasher. When I tested all the products out, I thought they were the best. I like the look of the Wolf products better, but the Miele ones still look sharp. I went with a Samsung fridge, with the main reason being the dimensions, and a close second being the features.

I prefer gas over induction, especially if you are sauteing. The utility charges are cheaper, and I like the precision. I also like how I don't need special pots. I'm sure induction is great, but I believe gas is better.

For those saying the gas cooktops are hard to clean, what are you doing? When I had my Viking for six years, and I cleaned it after I used it. It didn't take more than a few minutes. Every now and then I'd pull it apart and give it a deep clean. If you are creating that much of a mess, you should watch the pots a little more closely, or turn the heat down.

I had the professional 36" six burner Viking gas cooktop prior to switching to the 36" six element Viking induction cooktop.

I hated the Viking gas cooktop. I had the same problem as Sliver with handles heating excessively and the burners routinely malfutioned...so I switched the gas out for induction and would never go back.

However, as I mentioned above, the Viking induction has given me stellar performance.

And my Miele pales in comparison to the Viking, both for power and for settings. It is not a bad cooktop...it is just not as good as the Viking...which is now sold as Brigade in Canada.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #58
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want top notch restaurant quality cookware, go to a restaurant supply store.

Crown Food Equipment is one that I have used regularly. For induction cookware, I swear by their Browne/Halco cookware. They also sell cookware separately rather than by sets so you can actually buy the cookware you need...rather than what comes with the set.

Otherwise, I really like Lagostina.

You can get deals from Home Sense and the like but the quality of the stainless steel is not the same.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #59
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gas all the way
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #60
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for Crown.