Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
aem123
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default how to watch movies in canada

sorry if this has been discussed here ad nauseam, but how are the movie buffs here getting their movies? - i currently get dvds shipped to me in the mail via zip.ca but i think zip.ca is on its last legs - the selection and delivery time is getting worse and worse - do any streaming alternatives in canada have a large selection and all the new releases? - also, i have never streamed before and i want to watch movies on my tv not my PC or laptop - how does one stream from the internet to a tv?

any help would be appreciated and sorry again if this has been discussed elsewhere - looking for help in threads with 1000 replies is like looking for a needle in a haystack

Last edited by aem123; 12-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.
aem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Netflix
Unblock Us
Plex media server on PC/laptop
Device such as a Roku, Xbox360/One, PS3/4, AppleTV, or Chromecast connected to TV
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I order them from Amazon and return them to Walmart.

Just Joking.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

-Netflix/HMA
-iTunes
-buy the blu-ray
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
aem123
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
-Netflix/HMA
-iTunes
-buy the blu-ray
thanks - how do you rent a movie from itunes and then watch it on a normal tv? - is this possible?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem123 View Post
thanks - how do you rent a movie from itunes and then watch it on a normal tv? - is this possible?
Apple TV, or use an HDMI out from a computer. Personally I like the apple TV. Decent little gadget for $100.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apple TV is good because you have days to watch, when you do watch you have a 48hour period to watch again as many times as you like. AppleTV needs a fast internet connection though as it streams.

XBOX offers a similar service. Not sure if it streams or is buffered onto the HD. I would assume buffered onto the HD.

There is a compression algorithm in both, so quality of video can suffer, but to be honest I don't notice.

What I don't like about the service is that they seam to pre-release movies for sale only and then a week or two later they become available for rent. This policy, which I am sure is driven by the content owners, just gets in the way of the end consumer using the product in their preferred method.

However, other then nostalgia, and the thrill of being lucky to get the "last copy" or the disappointment of a wall of rented movies, I do not miss the blockbuster experience.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

you can pick up a PS3 pretty cheap these days for netflix and new movie buys/rentals on demand from the PSN network at reasonable prices. I don't have super fast internet and have no problem streaming in HD.

the advantage of the PS3 over the Xbox 360 is that you DON'T have to subscribe to their on-line service to use these features. Xbox 360 requires a gold membership just to use netflix.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
aem123
Farm Team Player

Exp:

itunes and apple TV might be the way for me to go - i assume apple TV connects your computer to your TV - does it matter that my computer is 5 years old (Vista) and my tv is ancient
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
itunes and apple TV might be the way for me to go - i assume apple TV connects your computer to your TV - does it matter that my computer is 5 years old (Vista) and my tv is ancient
You can connect it, but don't need to. You can use itunes/rent movies right on the device.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
aem123
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
You can connect it, but don't need to. You can use itunes/rent movies right on the device.
thanks, that sounds like the way for me to go - but apple tv must run through the internet, though - how would it connect to itunes without going online?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have Shaw as your cable provider, you can order movies from Shaw on demand through your cable box.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
thanks, that sounds like the way for me to go - but apple tv must run through the internet, though - how would it connect to itunes without going online?
The apple tv doesn't need a computer at all. It stands on its own. It connects over a hardwired or wireless internet connection and has a store interface right on your screen...like iTunes. You then use your apple id to purchase and rent from apple.

Grab one from future shop and try it out. You get 30 days to return it.

Start here: http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/what-is/
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
... It does go online. It can use a wifi connection, or it has an ethernet port. No computer needed.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't feel bad about not understanding how simple it is. My parents who are technopeasants barely understand it and have never used it even thought I have set them up. Channel up or channel down is all they understand.