Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Hard to find a decent Taylor that costs less than $500.

I know....why a Taylor? Because I like the sound. Even the $5000 Martins didn't sound as good to ME as ANY Taylor I tried, and most people say go with what you like.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Would anyone here buy a guitar from Ebay?

The 410CE is $2,000 in store, but $1,300 on Ebay from reputable sellers. And I loved it as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I've bought guitars online.... But it's usually better to play it and love it first.

2 exactly identical guitars my feel and sound totally different to you...
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the current issue of Guitar magazine (November 2013) they have 15 good acoustic guitars under $500. You may want to check that out, $1000 is a lot. Last month they did 15 electrics under $500.

I'm looking to get this one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...19614000001000
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JobHopper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #25
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

$1000 is way too much to spend on your first guitar. Yamahas are great, as stated previously in this thread.

I bought a really nice Simon and Patrick guitar three years ago, I paid $700 including a nice case. This guitar plays better than some $2500 Gibson acoustics. It is all about what feels fun to play for you. Someone else earlier recommended Simon and Patrick, and they are really good value for money. Made in Quebec.

This is the one I have, I couldn't recommend it higher:

http://simonandpatrick.com/cwgtcedar.htm

If you know someone who is experienced enough to know the difference between a good guitar and a beat up one, go the used route and save a few bucks. Bring them along to have a look at a used guitar with you.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Not my first guitar. Thought I had pointed that out in the first post.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry man, missed that. Good luck to you.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Hey when you do get it make sure you don't leave us hanging... Post some pics!!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Still deciding, plus I don't have much time to go shop around.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's a lot of money to spend and not shopping around. Try some online sites, lots of selection unless you're bent on getting a Taylor. I believe there was a Taylor in the article I previously mentioned, but good luck on that.
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #31
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Go down to the states and check out a pawn shop. I bought a beautiful Takamine Dreadnaught worth over $500 for $100.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Hell I bought a MIM Fender Fat Strat in agave blue in Calgary pawn shop for $150.

About 3 years ago now...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Ended up getting the Taylor 214CE mostly cause I found it for an absolute steal. Brand new condition for half price.

Great guitar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #34
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking to get an acoustic guitar because I'd like to learn to play. A problem I'm running into is that I need a left handed guitar and they aren't as easy to find, and I don't want to spend much money since I'm only starting out. It was suggested to me by a local shop that I should check Kijiji. I found a Jasmine Tackamine on there for $125. Are there lower end acoustics still a decent guitar?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I'm looking to get an acoustic guitar because I'd like to learn to play. A problem I'm running into is that I need a left handed guitar and they aren't as easy to find, and I don't want to spend much money since I'm only starting out. It was suggested to me by a local shop that I should check Kijiji. I found a Jasmine Tackamine on there for $125. Are there lower end acoustics still a decent guitar?
Not much experience with Takamines, but if you can, take a guitar-playing friend along to try it out. If you're starting out and are looking for a guitar around $100, you want something that has decent action (strings aren't too high from the fretboard), sounds reasonably good, and can stay in tune.

One word of warning - I did a quick search, and it seems that the Jasmine's are not solid top guitars, but are laminate. Not sure if that's the case with all Jasmine's, or only certain models. Personally, I'd buy only solid top guitars. Sound will be much better, sound will improve over time, and better resale if you want to sell down the road.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Since you are new to playing, I would take this opportunity to never bother learning left-handed and just teach yourself right-handed first.

That will make the rest of your guitar playing life a hell of a lot easier.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #37
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Since you are new to playing, I would take this opportunity to never bother learning left-handed and just teach yourself right-handed first.

I tried about 20 years ago, for a brief period, but it just wouldn't work right handed.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #38
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

When I first started, I was trying right handed. Could never do it.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found this one and it's even LH. Quick search and it seems to get good reviews, good looking too. Probably a bit more than I'd like to pay though.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...9e947e3bceen02

Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Found this one and it's even LH. Quick search and it seems to get good reviews, good looking too. Probably a bit more than I'd like to pay though.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...9e947e3bceen02
Assuming you are in Nova Scotia, I would look at this one on kijiji (if it's still available).

EDIT: Noticed the guitar has cracks - tough call. If you expect to move to another guitar in, say, 5 years after you've progressed, I'd still buy it. It would be a great guitar to learn on, and still be playable and sound great.

Norman's are awesome guitars - they are one of a few made in La Patrie, Quebec, which seems to be a Canadian mecca for high-quality, low-price guitars (Seagull, Simon and Patrick are others made there).

Last edited by psyang; 01-04-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Noticed the ad mentions cracks
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote