Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2015, 02:33 AM   #201
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Anyone hiking the Pacific Crest Trail this year?
I was just wondering how much busier it will be this season due to the recent resurgence of 'Wild'. Now when I say busier, I mean just in general along the trail. Not sheer number of through hikers.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #202
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Any recommendations for hiking boots, jacket and a small backpack for dayhiking? I'm practically a beginner, so don't want to spend too much right away.
For boots, I wear Vasque. Any good hardshell goretex jacket will keep you happy in the wind and weather. As for the pack, for dayhikes, a small (35L or less will haul everything you need and are a dime a dozen.
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #203
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
For boots I got Solomons. They were nice because I took them on the west coast trail (first time used... I know) but they were very comfortable. They make the shoe so you don't need to break them in.

http://www.salomon.com/caus/product/...article=128391

As for jacket, there are now a lot better stuff out there than goretex. Just need to look it up.

And backpack depends how long you plan to go out for. If you're just doing day trips you won't need a 60l and vice versa.
I'll second on the boots portion. I also have solomon boots and they are great.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #204
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Any recommendations for hiking boots, jacket and a small backpack for dayhiking? I'm practically a beginner, so don't want to spend too much right away.
Hey Cameron. I see a lot of people suggesting goretex jackets. Personally, I think that is kind of overkill if you are just getting started. For the price of a light goretex jacket ($250-300), you could get a good rainshell ($100-120), a nice pair of hiking pants ($80-100), and a good daypack ($50-100).

For the boots, IMO opinion comfort is the most important factor, so I'd suggest heading into a few outdoor shops (Campers Village, Atmosphere, The Norsemen...anything but MEC really) and try on boost until you find something that works well for you. A good pair of hiking socks would also be a really good investment.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #205
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Solomon boots are great, I've had a few pairs in my life. I also have a pair of mid hikers that I really enjoy from Oboz:

http://obozfootwear.com/mens/mid-hiking

The Sawtooth specifically. It is a great utility boot if you want something that you will wear off the trail as well. I use mine in the winter when the snows deep, spring time when the puddles are massive, at the lake on and off the trail, fishing, hiking up and down the mountains for field work. Almost four years of heavy use and the first wear and tear it has shown is one of the casings for the laces finally bit it. Can't really argue with that.

Also, my wife has the Beartooth and loves it. Used for trails and winter time here in Sask, no complaints.

The thing about hiking is that you want something that is versatile to minimize the amount you have to wear and/or carry in your pack. When you are a beginner that is the perfect time to start this mentality because as you build your kit out you will end up with a lot of useless stuff if you aren't careful. A good goretex jacket will be waterproof, wind proof and will breath with you as you sweat, and boy will you sweat. Also, stick to the reputable brands and you will get a life time warranty. Any problems down the road, you simply get a new one. I recently replaced an Outdoor Research jacket for warranty that was 7 years old. Started tearing on some of the seams, got a brand new one. Hard to argue with that. Spend the money, take care of your kit, and down the road it will take care of you.

I look at it this way, I am either spending $300 once or $100 multiple times for an inferior product.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-13-2015 at 11:21 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #206
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, CS, for a beginner looking to 'dayhike' most recommendations so far are overkill for you.

You don't need hiking boots unless you are humping a big pack (and even then its debatable). Get a pair of water-proof Keen or Merrell 'light hikers' (or equivalent) easily had for $100 or less if you keep an eye on sales. When I hiked the inca-trail in Peru, our group's porters wore sandals (flat-top chuck taylor's if they were luckier) and they humped heavy packs on rough trails at high altitude.

Don't worry about a gore-tex or even a shell for day-hiking. If it's miserable out, stay home or hike somewhere with a better forecast. You can grab a poncho or vinyl raincoat at walmart for $20 if you are concerned about a surprise storm on the trail - but really, for a 1st year beginning hiker, you aren't going to die from getting wet (if you are otherwise dressed properly. NO COTTON), you'll just be cold and miserable when you get back to your car.

Backpack... use one from your school-days or get one from walmart/target/sears for $30. What are you gonna carry? a waterbottle, first-aid kit, lunch and maybe a rain-poncho.

If you want to spend some money (which is my weakness frankly) I'd recommend a 'wind-stopper' (or equivalent) fleece jacket and some bear spray (plus a trail-guidebook).

Next year, if you had a blast this season, you can start investing in some more 'durable' (ie expensive) products and you'll have a much better idea of what you'll want.

(of course my recommendations would change materially if you were overnight-hiking or going to remote (not k-country) locales).

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 03-13-2015 at 11:36 AM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #207
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Brooks cascadias with Katulas. Any hydro pack from mec is good for a beginner and specialized jackets are overrated IMO. Don't wear all Cotten and invest the money you saved on a fancy jacket and buy some bear spray. Don't be a hero and have it with you whenever you are out. I see way too many people without it
Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ or bear bangers
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #209
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If there's a bear that's in front of you and the wind is blowing towards you, is bear spray still effective or are you going to pretty much destroy yourself?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #210
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd rather have bear spray and take some in the face than hope my little bang scares off the bear. You are talking like we are standing in gale force winds

Edit: Sorry for the initial response. To answer your question... A bear banger is used as a long range deterrent with bear spray as a last defense for tight quarters. Most outdoor stores have training sprays that you can try so that you can see how to safely discharge it in an emergency. Generally, you point it low to reduce the amount of spray back from "wind" and generally if you are using it, you're in a situation where you don't really care if you have to take a little in the face

Last edited by pgsieve; 03-20-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Realized this was a probably a legit question
pgsieve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgsieve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #211
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
If there's a bear that's in front of you and the wind is blowing towards you, is bear spray still effective or are you going to pretty much destroy yourself?
Should still be effective given the power it comes out with, but mostly due to the fact that you are supposed to deploy bear spray at an insanely close distance, not a ways away like people assume. As mentioned, you'd need gale force winds to make it totally ineffective at proper range.

Either way you're probably gonna be taking some backspray, but you can close your eyes exactly when needed, whereas the bear won't see it coming, and thus, gets the full impact.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #212
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad advice on the rain coat instead of gortex. If you're walking or moving at all and if you have a typical $20 rain coat you'll be soaked within minutes; not from rain but sweat. They are totally useless unless you're sitting in one spot. And lots of Gortex jackets are under a hundred bucks now. Get something breathable.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #213
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Any suggestions on fun scrambles close to Calgary for relative beginners? We've already done Heart Mountain, Ha Ling/Miner's, and Yamnuska. We're ready to start on the next level this year!
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #214
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcfyr View Post
Any suggestions on fun scrambles close to Calgary for relative beginners? We've already done Heart Mountain, Ha Ling/Miner's, and Yamnuska. We're ready to start on the next level this year!

East End of Rundle (EEOR) is a decent one, longer than Ha Ling and steeper. If you want a full day, try the Big Sister, approach from behind* and its a rewarding view from the top. The last bit has a short vertical section, but not to hard.

*that sounded dirty.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #215
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

First time seeing this thread.

Anyone on here familiar with the Forsake shoes/boots? There's a pretty good deal happening on Massdrop right now, curious to try them out.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/forsake...ode=guest_open
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #216
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I was just wondering how much busier it will be this season due to the recent resurgence of 'Wild'. Now when I say busier, I mean just in general along the trail. Not sheer number of through hikers.
This year, the Pacific Crest Trail Association has implemented limit on the number of daily starts for hikers wishing to hike more than 500 miles. As of right now, all spots are full in April, with most days after March 15 and through May 15 at least half full.

There will likely be some increase in numbers of people that get out to hike the trail over the coming years either from the book or the movie. Thru hiking is a completely different mentality for hiking if one wishes to successfully thru hike any of the triple crown trails. Gear selection is paramount, 20+ mile days are typical, and it becomes a mental journey after a while. Anything that gets more people outside I am all for, I just hope that people do not become disillusioned with the grandeur of long distance hiking. It is not like your couple day backpack trip full of beautiful scenery, great friends and nice break from reality. It is long, arduous, requires planning, and the ability to get out and hike, all day, every day, in all weather. After I finished thru hiking the Appalachian Trail, I became slightly enraged when work supervisors would tell me I had gone on a vacation for 5 months. Yes buddy, hiking 20 miles a day is equivalent to sitting on a beach doing #### all. Please #### off now and lose some weight.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bongo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #217
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
First time seeing this thread.

Anyone on here familiar with the Forsake shoes/boots? There's a pretty good deal happening on Massdrop right now, curious to try them out.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/forsake...ode=guest_open
What are you looking to do? Day trips, 2-5 day trips, or 5+ day trips.

I have no familiarity with them, before buying any boots online I would try them on in store. At that price point the boots would appear to be marketed toward the day hiker/urban winter crowd.

Here is their kickstarter (surprised I never heard of it before) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ou-dry-and-fly

Personally for anything other than day trips just based on the style I like (a little higher ankle support) I wouldnt even consider these for backpacking. Day trips are a completely different animal and I would consider them for that.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #218
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone ever done Mount Robson. I was always under the understanding that you could hike it. I'd love to do it but I don't have any climbing experience and its not something that really interests me. Any ideas of how far you can make it up without climbing. I'm down for a scramble, but not anything to the point that I need full harnesses or anything like that
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #219
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Alright well I apologize because I thought this would be implied, but you don't have to only wear your gear when you hike! lol

Every expensive piece of kit I have gets every day wear. That is what makes it good kit, it can take the abuse.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #220
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcfyr View Post
Give Nihahi Ridge a try. The trailhead is at the end of Hwy 66 in the Little Elbow day use area.

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness