Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Default AHL Clear Day

Thursday is AHL Clear Day when teams submit their 22 man rosters going forward for the remainder of the season. Could be a few spots available for Wrangler callups, or perhaps a surprise like Dustin Boyd being added (only Calgary player on a two-way). Juniors can be added after their respective seasons are over. Right now, the Peterborough Petes and the Kamloops Blazers (Armstrong and Puustinen) are battling for a playoff spot. All the other junior prospects look to play at least one round.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Does JD Watt have to play through his season, or can we "call him up" since he's an over-ager?

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think JD Watt can join you when HIS season is over.

Please correct if I'm wrong.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I was just told that teams can add junior players when their seasons are done, so STeeLy, you are correct. However, if I understood correctly, those junior players do not count against the 22 man roster limit. Here's my guess -

Curtis McElhinney
Matt Keetley

Adam Pardy
Tim Ramholt
Brett Palin
Tim Hambly
Matt Pelech
Gerry Burke

Grant Stevenson
Krys Kolanos
Brandon Prust
David VanDerGulik
Carsen Germyn
Warren Peters
Derek Couture
Tomi Maki
Kris Chucko
Cam Cunning
Eric Nystrom
Brett Sutter

Adam Cracknell
Ryan Donally

Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
beermoney
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL Website
Teams may also add signed junior players or players on amateur tryout contracts after Clear Day, but only once their respective junior or college seasons are complete.
Unless I missunderstand this Junior and or college players can join the team after there seasons are completed and it would not count against the 22 man roster. So I would go with what DS posted as a roster and then bring up a player out of juniors when they are done. I could be wrong on how it all works though.
beermoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I like the look of that lineup DS, but I'd probably leave off the Vegas forwards and include Boyd and one of the dmen from Vegas (either Baldwin or Cole). If Calgary would miss the playoffs Boyd would hopefully be able to improve on his subpar play with the lil' Flames this year with a strong playoffs. I also don't like the idea of trying to get through the playoffs with only six dmen. I guess that if injuries were to occur, dmen could be added without having to be on the clear day roster.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
I like the look of that lineup DS, but I'd probably leave off the Vegas forwards and include Boyd and one of the dmen from Vegas (either Baldwin or Cole). If Calgary would miss the playoffs Boyd would hopefully be able to improve on his subpar play with the lil' Flames this year with a strong playoffs. I also don't like the idea of trying to get through the playoffs with only six dmen. I guess that if injuries were to occur, dmen could be added without having to be on the clear day roster.
The talk around the campfire is that Nystrom is going back up soon. I wouldn't be comfortable with the team holding a spot for both he and Boyd. With both Donally and Cracknell on the roster, we're covered in case Nystrom stays up as well.

:EDIT:

From the AHL site -

American Hockey League teams shuffled their rosters in advance of Thursday afternoon’s 3:00 (ET) Clear Day deadline. The complete Clear Day lists will be released on theahl.com no earlier than 10:00 a.m. (ET) on Friday.

Last edited by Drunk Skunk; 02-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Boyd and Nystrom, predictably, are on the list while Gord Baldwin is the sole callup from Las Vegas. According to Quad City Times.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

It makes no sense to me to have both Nystrom and Boyd on the list, but that may be why I'm not in the business. Now do I hope Calgary misses the playoffs so they come back down here?

:EDIT:

Aha, shows what I know. An "emergency situation" is described as an injury, suspension OR a call-up. I didn't know it included call-ups. It turned out to be a good move overall. Crow isn't very tasty.

Should I still hope that we get Boyd and Nystrom back?

Last edited by Drunk Skunk; 02-29-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Krahn? I guess that bode well for his health.
I can totally understand no Kevin Lalande, though, considering Las Vegas' playoff position.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
No Krahn? I guess that bode well for his health.
I can totally understand no Kevin Lalande, though, considering Las Vegas' playoff position.
Yeah, Krahn's season is over.

No point having an extra goaltender on the Clear Day list. Quite naturally, should need arise, they (Lalande or Irving) would be emergency additions.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I understand why they sent Boyd down and called him back up for clear day roster. Now it shows up as a Call up so we can get other players.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote