Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #201
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I find it a little absurd that they are going to try and do this in the USA, and in a densely populated city.

What they need is somewhere remote, with low Covid cases, and with decent infrastructure. So why not put it all into one state or province? Take Alberta for example. The government wants to work with them, and we have a number of cities with good infrastructure to support their "bubbles".

Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Ft Mac all have arenas capable of pulling this off, along with a low population density, low covid numbers, and serviceable infrastructure. BC could do the same with Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton and Kamloops if their government was willing to work with the league. All these arenas are within a 1 hour flight of each other, have low Covid numbers, can house 4 teams playing every other day, and would be a pretty amazing place to play a tournament. Especially the Okanagan.

It doesn't make sense for the league to try and put the players into places like Nevada or California (or anywhere in the USA, really) because of the way they are treating Covid. It really seems like the league is making a bad decision with US cities, and they're going to pay for it when players inevitably test positive and they get shut down.
For me, as long as it’s not in Alberta, I am fine with the location. Alberta is in horrible shape economically and I can only see this as another loss financially and from a health perspective. BC basically backed out because they would not agree to the special exceptions that the NHL had asked for.

They basically wanted asymptomatic carriers to run free locally.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #202
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
For me, as long as it’s not in Alberta, I am fine with the location. Alberta is in horrible shape economically and I can only see this as another loss financially and from a health perspective. BC basically backed out because they would not agree to the special exceptions that the NHL had asked for.
The reason some of our provinces applied to host the bubble was for the economic support it would generate. Like you said everybody is in “horrible shape economically “. Everybody is looking at all avenues in which to bring in more money .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #203
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Ft Mac all have arenas capable of pulling this off, along with a low population density, low covid numbers, and serviceable infrastructure. BC could do the same with Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton and Kamloops if their government was willing to work with the league. All these arenas are within a 1 hour flight of each other, have low Covid numbers, can house 4 teams playing every other day, and would be a pretty amazing place to play a tournament. Especially the Okanagan.
Ice isn't a very big limiting factor here, it's the other infrastructure that is more important (hotels in close proximity, etc.). NHL will want plug and play in terms of TV broadcast - lighting, camera positions, and permanent broadcast infrastructure being key.

That said, the Okanagan is an intriguing option
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #204
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They basically wanted asymptomatic carriers to run free locally.
Off topic but what's your opinion on safe consumption sites?
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #205
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like it’s Toronto and Vegas for the hub cities, there has been a number of sites posting the information. Good that it’s not Alberta, all we need is some more Covid-19 clusters.
Why would 12 hockey teams in Edmonton for two weeks, tested twice daily be high risk to create a local Covid outbreak. There’s already a million people there.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #206
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I kinda doubt that will happen. I think that was only speculation anyways or was that officially mentioned somewhere?
It was mentioned in a couple of the STH calls that I listened in on by John Bean, but that was quite a few weeks back.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #207
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone think it's crazy that on that the league plans to open on July 30th and on the last day of June they still haven't settled on a 2nd location?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #208
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There was a rumour going around last night that the hubs will be Chicago and Toronto, but i am not believing anything until the NHL announces it.

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #209
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Does anyone think it's crazy that on that the league plans to open on July 30th and on the last day of June they still haven't settled on a 2nd location?

That is strange. But I guess 30 days is enough time to prep an arena, and arrange accommodations, travel, and training venues. As long as they do it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #210
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Dater 2 days ago on Twitter?. Yesterday was Arthur Staple saying the same thing. And today John Shannon leads the way. Unless it all falls apart like Vancouver, this will be the 2 cities IMO.
John Shannon? Well then, I'm sold.

https://www.tsn.ca/hub-city-search-a...four-1.1490766

Last edited by Toonage; 06-30-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #211
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post
There was a rumour going around last night that the hubs will be Chicago and Toronto, but i am not believing anything until the NHL announces it.
I don’t think there are hotels near the arena in Chicago. How do you manage that?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #212
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don’t think there are hotels near the arena in Chicago. How do you manage that?
They are not that far.

Team buses would work pretty well
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #213
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve had no problem with the NhL trying to get this going. The only thing I hate is the secretive measures the NHL has taken about not educating the players what their full plan is for hub cities and to keep players safe. They just keep announcing dates and no measures for keeping it safe . There is no wonder why some players are sceptical. They probably don’t know much more than the public. NhL has to be better with the information going forward.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #214
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really.

There's no need to rush things and it's not like they're just sitting around doing nothing. By all accounts, they're working on addressing the players' concerns and making sure there won't be any hurdles once they do make a decision.

As long as they give everyone enough time to get the "bubbles" set up safely, it makes sense to push the final decision as late as possible in case something major happens in one of the chosen cities and they have to change plans (as we've already seen in Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Vancouver ... and could be seeing in Vegas).

They don't need to worry about selling tickets or making sure that out-of-town fans can get hotel rooms. They also don't need to worry about someone else swooping in and booking the arenas and hotels out from under them. The teams will all be flying on private jets to the hub cities, so even the travel plans don't need to be finalized until just before they travel.

As a fan, it doesn't really matter to me where the games are being played. I'm going to be watching them on tv regardless.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #215
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't start meaningful games on the long weekend...I bet it gets pushed back anyway
Old 06-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #216
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
They are not that far.

Team buses would work pretty well
OK, so if that's the case why not use a city that has WAY less Covid issues, low population density, and decent arenas and can handle multiple teams and broadcast crews?

The following places fit that bill: Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton, Ft Mac, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg.

It sure seems like the league is more concerned with the host city and their image than player safety. Which is fine, but just come out and say it instead of trying to play off Toronto, Vegas, SJ, LA, etc etc as these great places to hold this when the pandemic is gaining steam in those same areas.

It just smells fishy to me.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #217
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, so if that's the case why not use a city that has WAY less Covid issues, low population density, and decent arenas and can handle multiple teams and broadcast crews?

The following places fit that bill: Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton, Ft Mac, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg.

It sure seems like the league is more concerned with the host city and their image than player safety. Which is fine, but just come out and say it instead of trying to play off Toronto, Vegas, SJ, LA, etc etc as these great places to hold this when the pandemic is gaining steam in those same areas.

It just smells fishy to me.
Victoria would laugh. The arena is a homeless shelter and won't be able for use for at least the summer possibly longer. Scratch any B.C town off that list. Bonny Henry says no so its no....everywhere.

Edit: And let's be clear, Bonny Henry literally has the hearts of everyone in B.C so when I say when she says no, she speaks for everyone.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-30-2020 at 02:06 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #218
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Victoria would laugh. The arena is a homeless shelter and won't be able for use for at least the summer possibly longer. Scratch any B.C town off that list. Bonny Henry says no so its no....everywhere.

Edit: And let's be clear, Bonny Henry literally has the hearts of everyone in B.C so when I say when she says no, she speaks for everyone.
I totally get that, but if the government was approached with a pro sports tournament in their province would that move the needle? A summer tournament in the Okanagan, broadcast worldwide, would certainly put it on the map (more so than it already is). Panoramic scenery would be quite the start to a broadcast, and their downtime would be on a boat or golf course.

Players would have a bigger problem catching the clap than covid....not sure if that's a plus but hey. I'm sure half these guys liver there in the summer anyway.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #219
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278058799979528192
https://twitter.com/user/status/1278058277398548480
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #220
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I totally get that, but if the government was approached with a pro sports tournament in their province would that move the needle?...
In BC? No. It wouldn't.

The public appetite for such a thing here is incredibly soft. The government has no real incentive to consider it, and as mentioned, the top provincial health official has already flatly rejected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: