Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #81
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

30 LSU football players in quarantine

https://www.tsn.ca/report-at-least-3...week-1.1487950

Quote:
LSU's outbreak comes on the heels of fellow powerhouse program, Clemson, announcing on Friday that 23 of its football players had tested positive for COVID-19.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #82
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing that seems to be lost in the discussion is the fact that the majority of the people in the planet will be infected with Covid 19 at some point. No question it is beneficial to not have this happening all at the same time, but the goal is not to avoid exposure for the rest of your life..not go in ng to happen.

Also, the 11 players that have tested positive is being treated as if it a shock. There are going to be positive tests. Not sure it is a cause for concern in itself; to me it is exactly what I expected. I don't see it changing anything as far as playing hockey and I expect the NHL feels the same way.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #83
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
One thing that seems to be lost in the discussion is the fact that the majority of the people in the planet will be infected with Covid 19 at some point. No question it is beneficial to not have this happening all at the same time, but the goal is not to avoid exposure for the rest of your life..not go in ng to happen.

Also, the 11 players that have tested positive is being treated as if it a shock. There are going to be positive tests. Not sure it is a cause for concern in itself; to me it is exactly what I expected. I don't see it changing anything as far as playing hockey and I expect the NHL feels the same way.
I personally intend on not getting it by avoiding exposure for the rest of my life lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #84
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sure. But logistically what happens when it rolls through a team and that team can’t ice a proper line up?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #85
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not if a vaccine is widely available within the next 6 months to a year. I love sports, but I am on the fence about opening it up right now. In 20 years from now, are historians going to say, "They really should have opened professional sports just a little bit earlier."

Last edited by pseudoreality; 06-20-2020 at 05:44 PM.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #86
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
I personally intend on not getting it by avoiding exposure for the rest of my life lol
Best of luck with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #87
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sure. But logistically what happens when it rolls through a team and that team can’t ice a proper line up?
That would be a problem. But IF the plan to quarantine and test players and support staff works it would be quite unlikely to happen.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #88
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Not if a vaccine is widely available within the next 6 months to a year. I love sports, but I am on the fence about opening it up right now. In 20 years from now, are historians going to say, "They really should have opened professional sports just a little be earlier."
I'm no expert but the expert opinions I have heard about developing a vaccine at all are not optimistic, let alone in months.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #89
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
I'm no expert but the expert opinions I have heard about developing a vaccine at all are not optimistic, let alone in months.
There are several advancing and showing positive signs
One is gonna hit
Old 06-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #90
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
One thing that seems to be lost in the discussion is the fact that the majority of the people in the planet will be infected with Covid 19 at some point.
Is this a fact? I have not found anything confirming this prediction. Seems to me no one really knows.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #91
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are 4 or 5 vaccines that have been shown to work in animals. They have been shown to produce anti-bodies in humans, and shown on small samples not to cause short term adverse affects in humans and that are going into wide spread human trials.

Also they found that SARS anti-bodies work on Covid-19 and Covid’s spike protein isn’t mutating.

I would say there is optimism that an effective vaccine will be identified by the end of the year. Manufacturing and Distribution of 7 billion doses will take some time.

The other big factor that is currently unknown is the duration the vaccine will be effective for.

So if you planned on canceling 2021 as well and starting the next season in October 2021 you would likely be able to do so with vaccinated players.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #92
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.politico.eu/article/coro...ke-to-develop/
This article seems pretty balanced and doesn't suggest we will see anything any time soon.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/basics/test-approve.html

Here is some info on vaccine development in general

Last edited by blender; 06-20-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #93
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That article is months old
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #94
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For 98% of the players it will be a mild cold. Injuries would typically keep them out much longer. If they're keeping to the hotels and not visiting the elderly during the tourney then it all seems pretty feasible still. Just have to avoid half a team coming down with it at once, which should be doable with the daily testing.

Some players will bitch because they probably have lowered interest in participating, for reasons like it being a few months removed from the season and being away from home/family. Understandable, but you're also getting paid millions to play. That some random players contracted it was because they're out in their own time and got it. Has little to do with the tournament. Once all teams are at the hubs they should be pretty well insulated.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-20-2020 at 06:38 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #95
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
For 98% of the players it will be a mild cold. Injuries would typically keep them out much longer. If they're keeping to the hotels and not visiting the elderly during the tourney then it all seems pretty feasible still. Just have to avoid half a team coming down with it at once, which should be doable with the daily testing.
Well that’s a shortsighted view, what about the older coaches trainers and staff members? Will it be “just a cold” for them as well?
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #96
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Well that’s a shortsighted view, what about the older coaches trainers and staff members? Will it be “just a cold” for them as well?
Fair point.

Obviously they need to be cautious af for the staff who are more susceptible. Maybe some take a seat upstairs during game time.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #97
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That article is months old
Yes, but is there anything new to report? Feel free to link anything you find. The reality is there is no clear path forward to a vaccine. Not saying it won't happen but the history isn't favourable on this one, Jiri.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #98
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There are several advancing and showing positive signs
One is gonna hit
I'll take the other side of that bet.

Coronavirus has been an issue in livestock for years and we can't seem to make a useful vaccine against it. I'd bet on the sinopharm attenuated vaccine if i had to pick, but it's going to be a while.

The other modalities are generally unproven and have a huge question mark: safety. The last thing this world needs are authorities pushing borderline "novel" vaccine strategies that truly do have safety risks. That will poison the well even further for all of the currently effective vaccines we've been using for decades.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #99
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am curious were any of the players actually sick? Putting hockey aside I think it is positive if more than expected tested positive but without serious symptoms. Much as I would love to be optimistic about a vaccine I still doubt it is a timely fix.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #100
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but is there anything new to report? Feel free to link anything you find. The reality is there is no clear path forward to a vaccine. Not saying it won't happen but the history isn't favourable on this one, Jiri.
Here's an article from June 9 with a chart showing timelines for some of the front runners in vaccine development.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/c...bEyFEvZxBfyTvQ

This is going to be the fasted vaccine every developed. There are over 100 possible candidates. Here's another article where a Canadian expert is sayings its months away, not years.

https://www.theprogress.com/news/can...ot-years-away/

A vaccine is happening, and that is when things are going to go back to normal, including hockey.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: