Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #461
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Facts aside... Will they both perform adequately with respect to contract numbers, to the satisfaction of the ambulance chaser type trade proposers on CP?

Whipping boys happen.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #462
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd say that Frolik has done so in all three years of his contract, even considering his decreased offensive performance last year. He gets criminally underrated on this website.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #463
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Facts aside... Will they both perform adequately with respect to contract numbers, to the satisfaction of the ambulance chaser type trade proposers on CP?

Whipping boys happen.
Whiners gonna whine
Blamers gonna blame
Haters gonna hate
Complainers gonna complain

Undoubtedly there will be whipping boys. Game threads are fuelled by fans who like to shriek out their overreactions. Some people love fixating on one play or one mistake and blowing it out of proportion.

Stone will make a good whipping boy for some because there are some fans out there who don't really value what he's good at (playing physical along the boards and in front of the net) and only value things he's not as good at (puck moving and skating). His salary will help their dislike of him. He's probably the most prime candidate to be hated on by a small segment on this board and we've already seen evidence of this. They won't give him credit for consistently wiping guys out along the boards or clearing the net. But they will sure as heck be all over him if he ever coughs up the puck. I mean we saw Engelland be massively undervalued by a small contingent on this site the entire time he was here. Some fans just don't really understand the value of physical, defensive defensemen. Somehow clearing the net isn't a valuable skill even though deflections, tips and rebounds make up the majority of all goals. If you can make sure a guy isn't screening your goalie the other team will have a much harder time of scoring.

Frolik will make a good whipping boy for those that like efficient contracts (usually signed by much younger RFAs) even though his UFA deal was market value. Some fans can't seem to handle the fact that UFAs get paid more and therefore are less efficient. They desire an impossible world where every player on the roster is on an efficient contract which really cannot happen if you ever sign an UFA. Some will undervalue his defensive contributions and smart play because they only credit players with offensive counting stats.

In reality both are useful hockey players. Both have positive trade value. But hyperbole will rule the day for some. Some will call them boat anchors, overpaid, worthless.

It's all too predictable.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 08-08-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #464
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

They both have value and won't be an issue on the team this year.

However, by next season when we need capspace, to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett and replace or re-sign Smith, we will likely need to move at least one of them. They both will only have 1 year remaining so moving them shouldn't be an issue.

Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Mangiapane, Foo and Dube are going to start pushing these guys for their jobs as soon as this year which bodes well for future cap considerations.

For now they are a nice luxury to have and will only push the prospects to be better.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #465
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
They both have value and won't be an issue on the team this year.

However, by next season when we need capspace, to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett and replace or re-sign Smith, we will likely need to move at least one of them. They both will only have 1 year remaining so moving them shouldn't be an issue.

Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Mangiapane, Foo and Dube are going to start pushing these guys for their jobs as soon as this year which bodes well for future cap considerations.

For now they are a nice luxury to have and will only push the prospects to be better.
Exactly, could see one of combo of Bennett, Frolik or Stone gone next year to make room for Tkachuk and younger, cheaper talent that can play a regular shift.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #466
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Exactly, could see one of combo of Bennett, Frolik or Stone gone next year to make room for Tkachuk and younger, cheaper talent that can play a regular shift.
You do realize that Bennett is younger than Mangiapane, right?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #467
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

By 2 months.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #468
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
You do realize that Bennett is younger than Mangiapane, right?
It blows my mind how little patience people have with Bennett, while at the same time Jankowski is almost 2 years older and has just played his first NHL season. It just feels like Bennett is a seasoned vet already because he's played 3 seasons in the NHL.

Having patience with Bennett will pay off so much for this team. I'm working on the Bennett video right now and the biggest takeaway I have is that upgrading from Hathaway to a better offensive player will be huge for Sam. Frolik, Ryan, Czarnik, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube, whoever.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #469
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Whiners gonna whine
Blamers gonna blame
Haters gonna hate
Complainers gonna complain

Undoubtedly there will be whipping boys. Game threads are fuelled by fans who like to shriek out their overreactions. Some people love fixating on one play or one mistake and blowing it out of proportion.

Stone will make a good whipping boy for some because there are some fans out there who don't really value what he's good at (playing physical along the boards and in front of the net) and only value things he's not as good at (puck moving and skating). His salary will help their dislike of him. He's probably the most prime candidate to be hated on by a small segment on this board and we've already seen evidence of this. They won't give him credit for consistently wiping guys out along the boards or clearing the net. But they will sure as heck be all over him if he ever coughs up the puck. I mean we saw Engelland be massively undervalued by a small contingent on this site the entire time he was here. Some fans just don't really understand the value of physical, defensive defensemen. Somehow clearing the net isn't a valuable skill even though deflections, tips and rebounds make up the majority of all goals. If you can make sure a guy isn't screening your goalie the other team will have a much harder time of scoring.

Frolik will make a good whipping boy for those that like efficient contracts (usually signed by much younger RFAs) even though his UFA deal was market value. Some fans can't seem to handle the fact that UFAs get paid more and therefore are less efficient. They desire an impossible world where every player on the roster is on an efficient contract which really cannot happen if you ever sign an UFA. Some will undervalue his defensive contributions and smart play because they only credit players with offensive counting stats.

In reality both are useful hockey players. Both have positive trade value. But hyperbole will rule the day for some. Some will call them boat anchors, overpaid, worthless.

It's all too predictable.
Excellent post. I just hope Neal doesn’t get added to the list.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #470
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think an Injury riddled Backlund season would turn him into the controversial whipping boy for the next 5 years. You will have Lindholm on the Wing and people campaigning that he should be the 2nd line Center and the Janko boosters saying that Backlund is holding Janko back. Of all the contracts on the team I think this one has the most whipping boy traits with a slight drop in performance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #471
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
This is utter codswallop, clearly written by a knee-jerk Leftist living in a Leftist bubble, whose only contact with ‘poor people’ probably comes from being waited on at fast-food joints, or seeing the odd panhandler in the streets – but I'll come to that in a bit.

. You are blind not only to how your political opponents think, and what they think, but to the fact that they think at all.

If you want to know what poor people believe their interests are, ask some. I guarantee you will be either surprised or contemptuous, because they will not agree with what you believe they ought to think.
If you're chatting with the average joe (on the right or the left) about the ndp for example, and coming away with the thought of "wow, Joe is one smart cat"...then we have a very different definition of what comprises a smart cat.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #472
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Free agent profile Troy Brouwer

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018...y-brouwer.html
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #473
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
"Ruinous time in Calgary" pretty much exactly sums it up.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #474
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I don't see a whipping boy quality player on this team. My guess is the next whipping boy will be Lazar/Hathaway if one or both makes it or maybe Kulak
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #475
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
"Ruinous time in Calgary" pretty much exactly sums it up.
Yeah, but hes not exactly innocent either. He had lots of ice time and opportunities and didt do anything with them.

Its not like the Flames were solely responsible for ruining his career or anything, he was paid well and produced little.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #476
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I don't see a whipping boy quality player on this team. My guess is the next whipping boy will be Lazar/Hathaway if one or both makes it or maybe Kulak
TJ Brodie or Frolik possibly, depending on how they play.

Bennett if the bad penalties continue.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #477
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, but hes not exactly innocent either. He had lots of ice time and opportunities and didt do anything with them.

Its not like the Flames were solely responsible for ruining his career or anything, he was paid well and produced little.
No, I didn't think the team ruined him or his career at all. Plenty of bright lights on this team last couple of years. He was either incapable or uninterested in being one of them. His time here ruined his career, yes, but he is ultimately responsible for where he has ended up. It's not like he wasent given the oppritunities or ice time.

Stajan is a good example of a guy that fell down the lineup but at least gave it whatever he had consistently. If Brouwer had half the heart of stajan while he was here, I think he would have taken alot less flack.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #478
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
If you're chatting with the average joe (on the right or the left) about the ndp for example, and coming away with the thought of "wow, Joe is one smart cat"...then we have a very different definition of what comprises a smart cat.
So you're a snob? Not news to me.

Here's an idea for you about talking to poor people: You're talking to one now. Care to tell me what my interests are, and how I'm betraying them by not voting for a bunch of people who want to run my life for me? I'm all ears.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #479
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn you Troy Brouwer! Even after you're gone you're tearing this place apart!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #480
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default UPD: Flames officially buyout Troy Brouwer

I was thinking he goes back to ST Louis. He played well there, and I recall they tried to keep him.