Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #1081
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I really don't think Marleau is going to sign up to be 3LW on a line with a guy basically coming of a bit of a sophomore slump (not his fault IMO) and an undrafted rookie. You'd want to find a way to put him on the top line or make Marleau the 3rd M in 3M.

Also I think it's highly doubtful both Foo & Jankowski break camp (I wouldn't even bet strongly on 1 of them doing it).
You're missing the point if the call Tree got was actually from Marleau - he's (or whatever vet it was that called) not going to be worried about the prestige of playing on the 1st line, 2nd line or whatever - whoever Tree spoke to wants to win, and if you're a smart vet and want to win, then you know it's all about buying in and being part of the team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #1082
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would take Doan on the Flames as a bottom 6 burr-under-the-saddle vet.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #1083
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I really don't think Marleau is going to sign up to be 3LW on a line with a guy basically coming of a bit of a sophomore slump (not his fault IMO) and an undrafted rookie. You'd want to find a way to put him on the top line or make Marleau the 3rd M in 3M.

Also I think it's highly doubtful both Foo & Jankowski break camp (I wouldn't even bet strongly on 1 of them doing it).
"3LW" isn't really "3LW" anymore though. All great teams now-a-days send their lines out in waves. It's not really as clear cut as 'top 6' -> scorers and 'bottom 6' -> energy players. We all saw how Pittsburgh rolled 3 waves of attack in the 2016 playoffs with Crosby/Malkin and Kessel and decimated their competition en route to an easy cup win. Not to mention factoring in PP time he'd still average >15min/game which is great for a player of his caliber. Our problem last season was that the top line was great outside of the first 6 weeks, the 3M line was exceptional all year, and then we had a rotating mess of wingers and line combos in the bottom 6 that never really was able to gel together. It was like as the 3M line went, so did the team. Not only would Marleau give us three dangerous scoring lines, but he would also play that 'Hudler role' to Bennett as Jiri did to Sean and Johnny. Surrounding him with someone as skilled and smart like Marleau would transcend Bennett's game to new heights which would not only be a benefit for us next season, but for the next decade as well, long after Marleau retires.

Last edited by Love; 06-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #1084
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Miller goes to Anaheim, I wonder where Bernier will end up.

I wouldn't mind the Flames giving him a look if the price is right. He put up better numbers than Johnson last season, but he's likely also looking for more money than Johnson will be.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #1085
Knut

Exp:

Bernier is probably going to the Flyers - Hextall likes him
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #1086
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It would be awesome if it was Radulov but I don't think the team can afford to go longer than 2 years. Maybe that works for Marleau who I also think would be a great fit with any of our top 3 centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tko View Post
Radulov ��
I think Radulov would be a great acquisition for this team, but I don't think he is the player in this rumour.

In another thread, it was stated that the player wants to play for one of the 4 teams on his list or may retire instead. From most accounts, Radulov is seeking a long term deal somewhere (and is still in his prime earning years).
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #1087
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think Radulov would be a great acquisition for this team, but I don't think he is the player in this rumour.

In another thread, it was stated that the player wants to play for one of the 4 teams on his list or may retire instead. From most accounts, Radulov is seeking a long term deal somewhere (and is still in his prime earning years).
No. The original report was corrected, and multiple attendees agreed that Treliving's story was about a UFA who had singled out four teams for whom he would like to play which he believes will be contenders. There was apparently nothing about retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #1088
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doan has nothing left in the tank at all. Please please please please stay away.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #1089
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Rumour on TSN 1040 in Vancouver that Ryan Miller is set to sign a contract in Anaheim.
Forgot about him. Seems like a Smith comparable to me.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #1090
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Doan has nothing left in the tank at all. Please please please please stay away.
Agreed, only scored 6 goals last year.

Marleau almost hit 30.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #1091
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I was at the session and i do not recall Treliving stating thebplayer that called was thinking retirement. I heard it was a player that was at a spot in his career where winning was the most important and he could pick his team.

Agree it is not Radulov. Doan makes sense but hoping it is Marleau
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #1092
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know I have never really been a fan of Doan but he actually wasn't that bad last season. Pretty much everybody on that team was better when Doan was on the ice vs when he wasn't.

Really the big difference in his stats was his shooting percentage dropping off a cliff.

15/16: Shot 16.5% for his 28 goals (Unsustainably high)
16/17: Shot 4.2% for his 6 goals (Unsustainably Low)

If he shot anywhere close to his career average of 10% last year he would have been able to score 15 goals . In the scenario where we could magically get rid of Browuer he would be a great replacement in a bottom 6 role on a cheap 1 year contract.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-28-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #1093
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Hoping it was Marleau but it was probably Doan which gets a solid "meh" from me. I could take it or leave it.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #1094
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
You know I have never really been a fan of Doan but he actually wasn't that bad last season. Pretty much everybody on that team was better when Doan was on the ice vs when he wasn't.

Really the big difference in his stats was his shooting percentage dropping off a cliff.

15/16: Shot 16.5% for his 28 goals (Unsustainably high)
16/17: Shot 4.2% for his 6 goals (Unsustainably Low)

If he shot anywhere close to his career average of 10% last year he would have been able to score 15 goals . In the scenario where we could magically get rid of Browuer he would be a great replacement in a bottom 6 role on a cheap 1 year contract.

Trade for #48!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #1095
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Mike Smith said he is looking forward to passing the puck up to forwards who can actually score. He alone would likely veto a Doan acquisition.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #1096
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Mike Smith said he is looking forward to passing the puck up to forwards who can actually score. He alone would likely veto a Doan acquisition.
Sadly, no. Smith was quoted as saying he believes Doan still has it and can contribute and that he was upset Doan didn't get a better chance at winning while they were both there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #1097
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Smith and Doan are very close. Factor in the Treliving and Maloney connections as well and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Calgary signs him.

I think he's got more to give and would make a great fit on a young team that has only 3 guys over the age of 30 on it.

People saying they don't want him because he's too old, I can get that, but the ones who don't want him just because they "don't like him" make me laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #1098
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doan would be fine for some depth & veteran presence on the roster, but I don't feel adding him would address the top 6 RW need for this year, nevermind going forward.

If he can be had for cheap, go for it.

But I hope that's not the only acquisition we're looking at via free agency or trade before training camp.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #1099
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I doubt Tre would bring up the story like that to the media if he expected to get a deal done with the player in the future. Doan is quite literally the opposite of what we're building here. He is done. He'll be playing in that same beer league with Ryan Smyth next season
Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #1100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't get on board with Doan. Maybe if Treliving doesn't sign Brouwer you could look at bringing him in for a season but the team already has an unproductive veteran player on the roster and can't afford to waist a roster spot on an another potential unproductive vet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread