Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #5861
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I live in Vancouver and someone close to his family mentioned to him that Evander is interested in the Flames as a possible landing spot. Says he is not keen to necessarily play too close to home but likes where the Flames are headed and thinks it might be a good compromise. Mentioned that he heard Flames are willing to part with Bennett as his contract will most likely be pricey and a blue chip defensive prospect. I would think it might also take a pick of some sort. Think this is even possible?

Take with a grain of salt.
Bennett + Fox/Andersson/Kylington/Valimaki + a draft pick for two months of Evander Kane would be an insane decision for the Flames. Terrible.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #5862
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I live in Vancouver and someone close to his family mentioned to him that Evander is interested in the Flames as a possible landing spot. Says he is not keen to necessarily play too close to home but likes where the Flames are headed and thinks it might be a good compromise. Mentioned that he heard Flames are willing to part with Bennett as his contract will most likely be pricey and a blue chip defensive prospect. I would think it might also take a pick of some sort. Think this is even possible?

Take with a grain of salt.
1) Why would Sam Bennett's contract be pricey? He has 6 goals as a follow up to a 13 goal season. He's an RFA with bad stats, he's got no negotiating power.

2) Why would they move a player because his contract "will be pricey" to go after a free agent who's contract would be much much higher?

3) I'm willing to get into this debate again, but the Flames don't have a blue chip defensive prospect. Let's not throw around "blue chip" too liberally.

4) Bennett, a blue-chip prospect and a pick for a rental Kane? Why would the Flames ever consider that especially, if the rumours are at all true, he's already looking at Calgary as a destination...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #5863
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

It certainly sounds like that would be Buffalo's ask, but no way in hell do Flames pay up.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #5864
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Bennett isn't moving to Buffalo for what is only guaranteed to be 2 months or so of Evander Kane. If Kane had several years at a reasonable hit on his contract that might be a discussion but no way otherwise.

There's also no guarantee that Adam Fox signs here so I could see his rights moved in a deal and Buffalo needs goalies, so maybe the Flames consider moving Gillies what with Parsons coming up the ranks and Rittich doing well here but that's still an iffy proposition.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #5865
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like the idea of picking up Kane but no chance in hell i give up Bennett for him.I honestly think you will be able to get him for fairly cheap because of the question marks that come with him.Not many teams will be willing to give up much for him in my opinion and if you can bring him in fairly cheap i think you do it.I think Buffalo is asking way more then they will end up getting.They will learn very quickly that teams aren't willing to give up much for a player with so many question marks and will settle on the best offer they get.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #5866
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
It certainly sounds like that would be Buffalo's ask, but no way in hell do Flames pay up.
I don't think the Sabres are going to get close to their asking price for Kane anyway. I don't think they are getting package of a solid NHL roser player, 1st round pick, prospect, and conditional pick (likely a high pick based on him resigning with that team or them going far in the playoffs). Maybe two of the four but they aren't getting all that.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #5867
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

if the flames give up this early on Sam Bennett, especially as he finally looks to be rounding into form, I'm going to be pissed....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #5868
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
1) Why would Sam Bennett's contract be pricey? He has 6 goals as a follow up to a 13 goal season. He's an RFA with bad stats, he's got no negotiating power.

2) Why would they move a player because his contract "will be pricey" to go after a free agent who's contract would be much much higher?

3) I'm willing to get into this debate again, but the Flames don't have a blue chip defensive prospect. Let's not throw around "blue chip" too liberally.

4) Bennett, a blue-chip prospect and a pick for a rental Kane? Why would the Flames ever consider that especially, if the rumours are at all true, he's already looking at Calgary as a destination...
I dunno, hence grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #5869
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I really would like to see the math and see where the money is better spent.

spending on Tavares for 15m a year and having 3 of guys like Hathaway, F. Hamilton, on your third fourth line.

Subtract Brower and Stajan and I would gladly take Tavares for 13m.
Tavares @ $13 million
Janko @ $1.75 million
Rittich @ $1.00 million
Hathaway @ $950k
Kulak @ $950k
Hrivic @ $800k

1. Gaudreau ($6.750) - Tavares ($13.000) - Ferland ($1.750)
2. Tkachuk ($0.925) - Monahan ($6.350) - Frolik ($4.300)
3. Bennett ($1.950) - Jankowski ($1.750) - Hathaway ($0.950)
4. Mangiapane ($0.705) - Lazar ($0.950) - Brouwer ($4.500)

Extra - Lomberg ($0.710) / Hrivic ($0.800)

1. Giordano ($6.750) - Hamilton ($5.750)
2. TJ Brodie ($4.650) - Hamonic ($3.857)
3. Kulak ($0.950) - Stone ($3.500)

Extra - 7th Dman ($0.730)

1. Smith ($4.250)
2. Rittich ($1.000)

Salary Cap - $80,000,000 (Projected)
Cap Hits - $77,757,543
Cap Space - $2,242,457

Brouwer bought out clears another $3 million minus his replacement cap hit, so another $2.4 million roughly, which clearly wouldn't be needed. The summer of 2019 though the Flames would need to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett and Ferland so you'd probably buy out Brouwer then and have to hope the cap rises again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #5870
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see any chance in hell that Bennett moves for Kane. Bennett has been solid since moving to the wing and might not break out until he is 22-24 years old. I think he has a ton of potential and love that he is building with Jankowski.

Kane at a 5x5 contract is interesting but still suspect since he has known character issues. His style of play fits perfectly with the team and having Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland, Kane, Hathaway on the wings makes the Flames a very tough team to play against.

If he thinks he would sign here why not wait until the summer and get him for free opposed to getting him for an extra 2 months and giving up Bennett and Fox
Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #5871
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kane is interested in the Flames as a potential landing spot, and the Flames are interested in landing him, then just wait until July 1st and sign him for nothing more than cap space.

I don't want to trade for him even with an extension in place, at least not at the rumored ask or at the cost of Bennett ++
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #5872
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t see any chance in hell that Bennett moves for Kane. Bennett has been solid since moving to the wing and might not break out until he is 22-24 years old. I think he has a ton of potential and love that he is building with Jankowski.

Kane at a 5x5 contract is interesting but still suspect since he has known character issues. His style of play fits perfectly with the team and having Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland, Kane, Hathaway on the wings makes the Flames a very tough team to play against.

If he thinks he would sign here why not wait until the summer and get him for free opposed to getting him for an extra 2 months and giving up Bennett and Fox
Same thoughts I had about it.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #5873
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not McDavid that's causing the cap hell. Again, Iginla signed a 7M contract when the cap was 39M and the Flames were able to ice a Northwest division champ team (in large part thanks to Kiprusoff). That's 18% of the cap at the time. I know it's not an exact correlation, but 18% of an 80M cap would be 14.5M.

Ovechkin was making 17% of the future cap when he originally signed in 2008. They were able to build three President Trophy winning teams around him and that contract.

The issue with the Oilers is pretty much everyone else. Lucic at 6M, Russell 4M, Kassian at 2M, Draistail at 8.5M depending on your view on him and Pouliot at a 1.3M buyout. That's a lot of cap-space that could be filled with cheaper players or those that should be the equivalent of ELC contracts but they have no prospects that weren't drafted 1st overall. There's not a cap-hit in 2019 currently on the Oilers that you're getting 'additional value' for. Unless Puljujärvi breaks out in a big way or Talbot bounces back significantly.

Again, even as a big proponent of Tavares and 'high priced contracts' I think 15M is pushing it. But if you wanted to see a possible team that could contend with a 15M Tavares, look at a team like the Hurricanes who have been in-and-out of the playoffs all season. They could simply add a 15M contract at the beginning of the year without having to remove anyone instantly filling their biggest need.

Imagine how much better the Devils would be if they had Tavares at 10M+ instead of Zajac at 6M this year. Easily overshoot the Capitals and probably racing with the Lightning for first.
well calgary currently has 2.5 million in cap space... so whether the edmonton players are useless or not, there is only so much space available, and if you have them signed that's too bad for you. Oilers aren't the best example to use considering where they sit in the standings

next year, calgary will have 58 million in salary with a projected cap of 75-80 million... but that's with 9 emply roster spots to fill, including backlund and janko

15 million for Tavares eats a ton, especially since 2019 calgary will have to resign Tkachuk and Bennett and Ferland

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-19-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #5874
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Kane would be a huge mistake. Regardless if we gave up assets or simply threw a wad of money at him as a UFA.

We have a much more complete player in Ferland who will be looking at a solid raise and doesn't carry the off ice and character question marks that Evander does.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #5875
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Kane would be a huge mistake. Regardless if we gave up assets or simply threw a wad of money at him as a UFA.

We have a much more complete player in Ferland who will be looking at a solid raise and doesn't carry the off ice and character question marks that Evander does.
I'm always extra wary of guys having great production in their contract year.
Look at almost every player, career years usually come at the end of the contract, then they regress to their usual production
Old 01-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #5876
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sam Bennett has another year left on his deal so the hope is he will be needing a pricey re-sign on a long term deal next summer (when Tkachuk, Ferland and a number 1 Goalie need deals)

Agree on point 2

Blue chip was probably used loosely and the ask is likely a top D prospect and the Flames have 4 pretty solid D in Fox, Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson

Agree on point 4
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #5877
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see the close family member knowing the interest Kane has in Flames but can't see how Kane or the family member would have any idea what the Flames would be sending.

Insiders don't even have this info out so I highly doubt Botteril is going up to Kane and telling him this is the return we're about to get for you, do you think this is enough? Sorry don't buy what that family member is selling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #5878
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane has cooled off considerably.

He was on pace for 35 goals and 77 points in 82 games, but has only scored 1 goal and 2 assists in his last 10 games.

Now on pace for 29-36-65 in 82 and dropping
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #5879
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kane has cooled off considerably.

He was on pace for 35 goals and 77 points in 82 games, but has only scored 1 goal and 2 assists in his last 10 games.

Now on pace for 29-36-65 in 82 and dropping
Good. Extra emphasis for the team to stay the hell away.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5880
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Oilers aren't the best example to use considering where they sit in the standings
But....it was you who brought them up? I'm just saying that teams have been able to build around players making that ~17% of the cap since the cap was institutionalized. Including multiple divisional, conference and President Trophy winning teams. I don't see a reason why that can't be the case today. Especially for a player of Tavares' calibre. You just need to build around them properly. Again, though, I think 15M is high.

Chicago won the conference last year with Kane and Toews making 10.5M each on top of Seabrook's terrible 6.87M contract. With competency, it's easier to build around a great player(s) making a ton than it is building a balanced team (which pretty much requires an expansion draft to do at all) without a bonafide top tier player.
Closed Thread