Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #261
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
What makes you think this at all?
Just my opinion, based on a defender who can put up points for a team vs a guy in a more shutdown role, and what each would be worth on the open market.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #262
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It's misleading to say he has barely cracked an NHL lineup. He's a classic case of smaller guys being evaluated on a different scale from guys who are a few inches taller and much worse at hockey. It's not as if he's some late bloomer here:

In 2010 as a 17 year old, Weal had his first 100 point season in Junior
In 2014 as a 21 year old, Weal was already a PPG in the AHL
In 2015 as a 22 year old, Weal was by far the best player on the Calder Cup winning team in the AHL. Was over a PPG in the playoffs.
In 2016 as a 23 year old (his first year eligible for waivers), L.A. did not want to lose Weal to waivers, even though he didn't fit Sutter/L.A.'s style of play at all. It's not as if Gaudreau would have fit so well on that Kings team, they play one way which is grind you down with size.
Hextall, who was L.A.'s AGM when Weal was drafted, had the kid included in that LeCavalier trade because he obviously believed in this kid's upside.
Finally, this year, although he was waived out of camp and no one picked him up (he was the one guy I wanted off preseason waivers) he put up 8 goals in 23 games in the NHL when he was finally given a chance.

He's a strong two-way player, his hockey sense is elite, his skill level is high, he has produced at every level he has played, he can skate, and he's a right-handed shot. He's a battler, too.
I am not trying to mislead anyone; just asking the question. Your entire post does seem to confirm what I suggested, though. Potential, sure, but 37 games to date.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #263
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
Just my opinion, based on a defender who can put up points for a team vs a guy in a more shutdown role, and what each would be worth on the open market.

Stone isn't a guy you bring in to put up points
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #264
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
There are big questions surrounding the long term affects of leg and knee injuries that Stone suffered two years ago, and how this may impact his play in the long run. He was not great when he was playing in Arizona last year prior to arriving in Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #265
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Not first pair points, certainly. But not bad for a second pairing guy, say a #4 guy. Should be able to reach 40, in my opinion.

Is that worth more than a more defensive minded guy like Alzner?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #266
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Stone also brings that heavy shot from the blue line that the Flames don't have. I'm quite certain they are going to re-sign him.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #267
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There are big questions surrounding the long term affects of leg and knee injuries that Stone suffered two years ago, and how this may impact his play in the long run. He was not great when he was playing in Arizona last year prior to arriving in Calgary.
Absolutely true. Though he improved when he arrived here, and may feel he is worth more than the $3+ million he was making in his last contract. Pure speculation on my part though.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #268
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
no.. probably not.. but he is capable of 30+ points on the two pairing.. u combine that with brodie's 30-35 and that's a very effective two-way number 2 unit that can skate and move the puck at both ends of the ice...

cgy loses a 5th round draft if stone is signed bfore july one.. so hopefully any delay is just that.. IN MY OPINION he fits this team and along side brodie like a glove...
gio - dougie
brodie - stone
thats a very effective and upper echellon top four
Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #269
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Not first pair points, certainly. But not bad for a second pairing guy, say a #4 guy. Should be able to reach 40, in my opinion.

Is that worth more than a more defensive minded guy like Alzner?

That's very wishful thinking in my opinion. Stone got first pairing minutes with OEL in Arizona and still didn't put up 40 points.

When playing with Brodie he's looked upon to be the defensive guy on that pairing. Still has a bomb of a shot for sure, but he's more of a 25 point guy.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #270
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's very wishful thinking in my opinion. Stone got first pairing minutes with OEL in Arizona and still didn't put up 40 points.

When playing with Brodie he's looked upon to be the defensive guy on that pairing. Still has a bomb of a shot for sure, but he's more of a 25 point guy.
So what kind of contract would you guess someone like that would get? Do teams pay him like he is potentially a 40 point guy, or a 25 point 3rd pairing guy?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #271
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
- Not a guy you bring in to put up points
- Shots against go up profoundly when he is on the ice

Well ain't that exciting.

Seriously though, Stone's (Flames) production pace of around 25 even strength points is perfectly solid for a top four defenseman. Even Gio and Brodie didn't total that many ES points. No, Stone isn't a guy you want manning PP1 (although Arizona had him play PP in the past), but his offensive capability is the major reason he is even considered a top 4 option. Without that he's just a bottom pair guy and probably not a great one. Speaking of which, Alzner. Avoid Alzner unless it's for under 2.5 million a year. He is this offseason's Troy Brouwer - the biggest mistake waiting to happen.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-21-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #272
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree I'd love for the flames to sign Alzner but he's going to hit a big payday and at that price no thanks.
He's going to get 6-7 million on a 5 year deal I bet so that's a big hell no .if sign him for 4-5 million for 3 years .But we all know that would never happen. So I say we let see if some of the D prospect can make the jump at camp
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #273
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alzner is bad news. This is effectively you guys wanting to chase a new Dennis Wideman contract without the 1 year of offensive contributions.

The moment Alzner signs his deal this summer, he'll be overpaid. Now imagine that deal in it's 5th or 6th year...a true disaster in the making.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #274
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bob McKenzie suggesting Vegas will flip Neal... lets see those crazy proposals....
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #275
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bob McKenzie suggesting Vegas will flip Neal... lets see those crazy proposals....
Stajan and Brouwer!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #276
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
- Not a guy you bring in to put up points
- Shots against go up profoundly when he is on the ice

Well ain't that exciting.

Seriously though, Stone's (Flames) production pace of around 25 even strength points is perfectly solid for a top four defenseman. Even Gio and Brodie didn't total that many ES points. No, Stone isn't a guy you want manning PP1 (although Arizona had him play PP in the past), but his offensive capability is the major reason he is even considered a top 4 option. Without that he's just a bottom pair guy and probably not a great one. Speaking of which, Alzner. Avoid Alzner unless it's for under 2.5 million a year. He is this offseason's Troy Brouwer - the biggest mistake waiting to happen.
Since you're an advanced stats guy, is there anyone on the free agent market that you think might fit into that 4 spot better based on defensive ability (shot suppression etc...)? I think we'd probably prefer a guy who is really able to shut it down defensively, but maybe not big offensively.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #277
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal

Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #278
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why would VGK have to qualify an RFA when it remains merely optional for every NHL team? This is how Joe Colbourne ended up playing for the Colorado Avalanche this season.
I thought it was a condition of choosing RFAs. That they have to be qualified.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #279
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Neal - Bennett - Lazar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #280
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Neal - Bennett - Lazar
Nice balanced 3 lines, and man that 3rd line would really get opposing teams and their fans going.

I'd be fine with flip flopping Ferland/Neal in that scenario as well.
Closed Thread