Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #2061
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Considering they would want one of Bennett or Brodie included in the deal, giving up a large unwanted salary (for a guy who wanted to come to Calgary badly and who can control where he wants to go) plus some "stuff" is the complete opposite of what Colorado wants.

You basically gave them a bunch of guys you consider completely expendable.

It's surely the way to build a contender, and its the reason trades like this only get completed on a posting board.

If trades like this occurred, 16 teams would be perpetual playoffs teams, and 16 teams would be perpetual lottery eligible.
Except Avs won't get a promising young Dman or Centre who are NHL proven. Oilers wanted a Dman for Eberle for years. They settled on Strome. And Eberle had better numbers than Duchene. How long has Duchene been on the trade block?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #2062
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
#2 would never get it done, Brouwer I believe is still protected by a NTC this year and I highly doubt Colorado is on his list let alone waving in the first place. We don't have anymore 2nd round picks that are lucrative because we spent them on Smith and Hamonic and while Andersson is a debatable blue chip adding two B/C level prospects in eat bread (B) and Klimchuk (C) is just not getting it done for Duchene.

This will cost 1 of Bennett or Jankowski 1 of Andersson or Kylington and Colorado taking a realistic contract dump like Stajan - which is still iffy as he has a modified NTC so who knows if he's even got Colorado on his radar.
I forgot about Brouwers NTC clause. I didn't realize Stajan had one too. Seriously those are ######ed dumb contracts. I thought Burkie only believed "special" players get those type of clauses? Lol
Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #2063
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Except Avs won't get a promising young Dman or Centre who are NHL proven. Oilers wanted a Dman for Eberle for years. They settled on Strome. And Eberle had better numbers than Duchene. How long has Duchene been on the trade block?
So your making arguments against the value of Duchene going as far as saying he is on par with Eberle in terms of value and the proposal you offer is insanely different than what your insinuating Duchene is worth.

Fact is Duchene is worth a lot more than Ryan Strome and it's not even a debate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #2064
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I forgot about Brouwers NTC clause. I didn't realize Stajan had one too. Seriously those are ######ed dumb contracts. I thought Burkie only believed "special" players get those type of clauses? Lol
Most 3 + contracts that are handed out to 28+ UFA players include some form of NTC or modified NTC or both throughout even Mason Raymond had a modified NTC for his 3 year deal with the Flames. They tricky ones are NMC deals and are seemingly more rare.

Nothing odd or weird about the NTC in Stajan or Brouwer's contracts IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #2065
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Firstly, your use of the term "######ed" is probably considered offensive to many people and should be curtailed.

Secondly, Treliving is the GM of the Calgary Flames, Burkie is not.

And thirdly, as someone already said, most UFA's get some sort of NT protection, or you can't sign them.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #2066
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Firstly, your use of the term "######ed" is probably considered offensive to many people and should be curtailed.

This.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #2067
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1) Flames trade Stajan @50% retained to Pens for 3rd
2) Flames trade Brouwer + 2nd + Anderson + Mangiapane + Klimchuck for Duchene
3) Flames sign Jagr

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Duchene - Lazar
Versteeg - Jankowski - Ferland

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

That's a cup winning roster for sure
I'm sorry, did you just make a super lame trade proposal just to get Duchene to center our 3rd line? Nevermind that I think you gave up way too many solid assets (I'd be pissed if we traded Andersson away for example), and made a proposal that doesn't give the Avs anyone of Duchene's caliber, but you don't even consider Duchene to be a top 6 center?

I honestly don't get you.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #2068
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Duchene is so overrated at this point in his career. His value is pretty much his 'name value' right now.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #2069
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames trade the last year of Mason Raymond's contract buyout for Crosby. Flames might have to add Stajan and Brouwer to make it work.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #2070
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Duchene is so overrated at this point in his career. His value is pretty much his 'name value' right now.
Well, the Avs are certainly over rating his value right now, that's for sure...

Really, IMO, it seems like a guy whose in the range of a 1st, 2nd and maybe a 3rd type deal, if we are strictly talking draft picks... different players can replace those picks, but that's the approximate value i would place on Duschene, compared to say Hamilton who netted a 1st and 2x 2nds

the problem for the Avs is that I cannot imagine him playing better next year with this hanging over him...and if his play declines, so will his trade value to Avs... they need to move him sooner rather than later.

i'd pass on trying to land him btw... now Mckinnon? he definitely be a guy that would be worth looking into if he were available

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 07-22-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #2071
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Secondly, Treliving is the GM of the Calgary Flames, Burkie is not.

And thirdly, as someone already said, most UFA's get some sort of NT protection, or you can't sign them.
I agree with your post except that Treliving didn't sign Stajan to his contract.

I see no reason why a UFA should not seek a no trade contract.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #2072
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with your post except that Treliving didn't sign Stajan to his contract.

I see no reason why a UFA should not seek a no trade contract.

I didn't say he did.

The OP was mentioning Burkie with respect to the Flames NTC, I simply pointed out that Burke is not the GM of the Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #2073
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say he did.

The OP was mentioning Burkie with respect to the Flames NTC, I simply pointed out that Burke is not the GM of the Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Burke isn't the GM, but he is the one who signed Stajan to that contract and gave him the NTC. Which I think is the point the original post was making.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #2074
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Burke isn't the GM, but he is the one who signed Stajan to that contract and gave him the NTC. Which I think is the point the original post was making.
I thought this as well but he muddled up his point when he included Brouwer in the same sentence which kind of implied Burke was responsible for both.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #2075
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

To elaborate on my point about NTCs, surely some of the selling points when seeking a UFA (or resigning a pending one) have to do with being part of the team long term, the attractiveness of the city, etc. So an NTC is simply part of that discussion.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #2076
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I thought this as well but he muddled up his point when he included Brouwer in the same sentence which kind of implied Burke was responsible for both.
If you've ever worked anywhere ever, you'd know that upper management always has responsibility for the actions carried out below them. If Burke issues a mandate that NTCs are limited to franchise players or elite UFAs, then even the GM will have to abide by them.

You're either inexperienced or ignorant if you don't think Burke approves every UFA signing. Guys like Treliving go to his boss and says "I have a deal in place for Troy Brouwer, who I believe benefits the organization by meeting X organizational goals... Here's the details.... Please advise"
Old 07-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #2077
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you've ever worked anywhere ever, you'd know that upper management always has responsibility for the actions carried out below them. If Burke issues a mandate that NTCs are limited to franchise players or elite UFAs, then even the GM will have to abide by them.

You're either inexperienced or ignorant if you don't think Burke approves every UFA signing. Guys like Treliving go to his boss and says "I have a deal in place for Troy Brouwer, who I believe benefits the organization by meeting X organizational goals... Here's the details.... Please advise"
This post shows that it is you that is inexperienced.

And there is absolutely no need for terms like ignorant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #2078
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually, I'm sure Burke gives mandates at every free agency. Either Burke is a micromanager who says "I want you to sign Troy Brouwer", or he's macro and says "If you can, sign a right handed winger with XYZ skills". I can't see him being lazy and say "Do what you think is best, I'm on the golf course"

I'm sure thats the case for deadlines, opening day, draft day, etc. Following each mandate, he will then approve every deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #2079
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I'm sure Burke gives mandates at every free agency. Either Burke is a micromanager who says "I want you to sign Troy Brouwer", or he's macro and says "If you can, sign a right handed winger with XYZ skills". I can't see him being lazy and say "Do what you think is best, I'm on the golf course"

I'm sure thats the case for deadlines, opening day, draft day, etc. Following each mandate, he will then approve every deal.
Probably not this.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #2080
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread