Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #901
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the reasons those scenes are so memorable IMO is the characters mean so much to us, especially for those who grew up loving the original series. There is a lot of history and nostalgia there for some of us.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #902
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Because there's a lot of talk about other Star Trek in here? The seems like an unusual hostile response
sorry, I like Discovery and got annoyed for a moment. there'll be lots of good general Star Trek discussion here in the offseason, but once season 2 kicks in, you're going to probably need a solution for not wanting to read about it.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #903
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I agree, Nemesis is a disaster on every level. The TNG crew deserved so much better. I was hoping they were gonna do at least one more movie with that cast just so they could do it the right way and go out on a high note.

Perhaps the new Picard series will help right some of those wrongs.
Like a 'Star Trek' version of Logan!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #904
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, Nemesis is a disaster on every level. The TNG crew deserved so much better. I was hoping they were gonna do at least one more movie with that cast just so they could do it the right way and go out on a high note.

Perhaps the new Picard series will help right some of those wrongs.
The last two TNG movies probably jaded everyone not named Stewart or Spiner. Frankly even in Generations the cast were made out to be either background furniture or outright boobs.

I can just imagine the script reading for Nemesis

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-14-2018 at 10:02 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #905
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually didn't mind Insurrection. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything, but I enjoyed it for the most part, and it was nowhere near as bad as Nemesis.

First Contact is easily the best of the TNG films, right up there with II, IV, and VI as one of the better entries in the entire series. Not surprisingly it's also a critical favorite (93% on RT).

Generations had some good moments, but was really uneven. The way they tried to shoehorn Kirk into the story just didn't feel natural to me. I get that they wanted to "pass the torch" and all that, but it really didn't work the way they had hoped. Stewart's performance was excellent though, and I thought Malcolm McDowell made a great villain. Shatner looked like he didn't even want to be there.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #906
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually didn't mind Insurrection. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything, but I enjoyed it for the most part, and it was nowhere near as bad as Nemesis.

First Contact is easily the best of the TNG films, right up there with II, IV, and VI as one of the better entries in the entire series. Not surprisingly it's also a critical favorite (93% on RT).

Generations had some good moments, but was really uneven. The way they tried to shoehorn Kirk into the story just didn't feel natural to me. I get that they wanted to "pass the torch" and all that, but it really didn't work the way they had hoped. Stewart's performance was excellent though, and I thought Malcolm McDowell made a great villain. Shatner looked like he didn't even want to be there.
Insurrection was basically just a really long TNG episode. Nothing wrong with that generally speaking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #907
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody read the TNG and DS9 rewatch reviews on tor.com? Takes me back.

https://www.tor.com/series/star-trek...ation-rewatch/

https://www.tor.com/series/star-trek...-nine-rewatch/
Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #908
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Insurrection was basically just a really long TNG episode. Nothing wrong with that generally speaking.
that movie had a budget of $70 million! in late 1990's dollars! where the hell did all that cash go into, when all the sets, costumes and CGI look so damn cheap that they're on par with the TV show 10 years earlier. especially when its predecessor First Contact was really good looking when it came out and even mostly holds up to viewings today.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #909
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that movie had a budget of $70 million! in late 1990's dollars! where the hell did all that cash go into, when all the sets, costumes and CGI look so damn cheap that they're on par with the TV show 10 years earlier. especially when its predecessor First Contact was really good looking when it came out and even mostly holds up to viewings today.
Perhaps Star Trek has been a studio-conjured embezzlement scheme all these years?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #910
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Memory Alpha it was a new kind of CGI used in the movie, which presumably increased costs. But boy does it ever look terrible. The drones especially on the planet's surface looked incredibly fake.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #911
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine who loves all things Trek things Insurrection was a great movie. In fact he likes all the ST movies. I think the NG movies we're all terrible; but Insurrection was a particularly revolting ...#### movie. It had a terrible story, bad effects, bad acting, and plot holes you could put a star ship through. I could at least watch a movie like First Contact and not get bored to tears or annoyed to the point of scratching my eyes out. But that hot mess is irredeemable.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #912
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if it took one or two lunch hours for the summer intern to model Admiral Dougherty's death by Microsoft Paint:

Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #913
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

LOL I'd forgotten how awful that was

Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #914
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They picked their Spock

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sta...ck-1202904311/

There's a rumor that

Spoiler!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #915
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next thing you know they'll have Data emerge through a time portal and become a member of the crew.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #916
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Next thing you know they'll have Data emerge through a time portal and become a member of the crew.

Actually with Kurtzman, he'll have that traveller guy and Wesley Crusher show up, because he believes that Star Trek fans love the Crush man

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #917
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

has anyone tried this? I think my computer is too decrepit to do it justice but looks pretty intriguing:

Stage 9: Virtual Enterprise D Re-creation
https://stage-9.co.uk/

it's made by fans, which is great because that means it's probably more accurate than anything Paramount themselves could come up with (also glad the studio has decided not to mash their litigation button for now). I watched a couple of walk-throughs and it's really comprehensive both inside and outside the ship.

aside from the usual suspects (bridge, battle bridge, ten forward, engineering, senior officer quarters), they even did the main hangar at the back of the saucer, which was never actually seen on the show due to budget constraints. you can even take a Danube class runabout for a spin. it's not really a game, but you can warp to a few popular destinations, and perhaps even encounter a hostile species or two.

I know CC hates Galaxy class because it's a love boat in space, but it's the one I grew up with and goddamn if it doesn't give me the feels seeing her hallways again with that unmistakable engine murmur in the background.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #918
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, I'm just a bit of a stickler on ship designs and they have to make some sense. I get that the Enterprise D is the flag ship, but the thing looks like a flying hotel lobby the other thing that drove me nutso is the crew quarters, everyone all had their own quarters and they were all these super luxurious quarters with seperate bathrooms. The ship had a crew of over 1000.

I really disliked the 3 chair configuration of the bridge. I mean frankly having a separate chair for the XO made little sense to me because usually the command structure is such that when the Captain is off the bridge the XO or Officer of the Deck has the bridge, during a battle where the Captain and the XO are on the bridge working together the XO is usually responsible for monitoring the command crew and relaying information to the Captain, he can't do that when he's sitting on his butt. And why does the Counselor need a chair? I mean I doubt that all the fleets counselors can read emotions, and by the way how fricken creepy is that.

I also really didn't like the external design of the ship, it just looked really goofy to me, the later enterprise looked great though.

You know what enterprise design I liked.

The 1701-A from TWOK, The bridge was smaller, but looked functional, the stations behind the Captains chairs looked like actual workstations like out of a submarine.

I loved the 1701-A from TMP not because of the design, but because the director really got something that nobody else got, you could hear the background chatter. Crewmen repeating commands or requesting reports, there was a buzz on the bridge that no other show had.

I loved one thing about the 1701-NX in that they had at first at the back almost like a command station like a Combat information center, I thought that was an amazing touch and again gave the ship a really good submarine feel. I also liked the NX-01 because everything looked functional and cramped and necessary.

The worst bridge in Science fiction is a star Destroyer in Star Wars. I mean the concept was a really good idea where the commanding officer could lord over his crew which were stuck in those pits along the walkway, but command and supervision would have been next to impossible.

I loved the bridge on the original battlestar galactica, and really liked the bridge on the revised battlestar galactica with the huge map table and status monitors. That looked like a war ship.

Anyways pretty cool app. I want to orbit earth and fire a torpedo at Edmonton.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #919
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the way I've read it is that the Enterprise D is a product of decades of relative peace and security, and its luxuriousness was as much to impress diplomatically as it was for crew comfort. that mindset is seen all the way through to her captain, who is basically a walking United Nations. it had gotten to the point of hubris where Picard said to Q he felt they were sufficiently prepared for anything, until Q snapped his fingers and gave them a little taste of Borg all up in their nacelles.

it took the Borg and Dominion threats to finally turn Starfleet around and produce warships again. the Defiant, Sovereign, Akira, Prometheus, etc. went back to the dark badass aesthetic. that's fine, as long as any one of them's got a holodeck, that's where I'd be spending 99% of my time anyways...for science...
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #920
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because the Federation had two major conflicts between the end of TOS stuff including movies and TNG

There were conflicts with the Klingons and Romulans. Then a 30 year war with the Cardassians, there were a couple of wars with minor races that lasted for years, There was also the Tholian conflict.

The Federation was never really at peace leading up to TNG.

They went from major decades long conflicts and cold wars with all of the major powers, you could argue that their true periods of peace were very few and far between and that whenever Picard said war was something that humanity had overcome that his senility was kicking in.