Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #61
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, as my avatar would indicate, I've finally replaced the 280z with a 987.2 Cayman S.

It's a great drive and a well sorted car with solid maintenance history, and the price was right. The one issue is that it appears someone tried to steal the "S" badge off the back.

(larger: https://i.imgur.com/vBNqzPO.jpg)

What do people suggest for this? I don't need perfection (it's not that noticeable anyway from any distance) but I would like it to be sealed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is it with degenerates that like to steal badges? If those are scratches I would get a small bottle of touchup paint (not the pens) and get a very fine tipped brush (for crafting from Walmart, Home Depot, etc) and gently fill the scratches with a few coats until you layer just above the factory paint. Ideally you would remove the badge using a heat gun and fishing line to leave a smooth surface for an orbital polisher. After a few days then follow up with a mild polish on the area leveling off the touch up paint and then re-attach a new badge or re-use your old badge if in good shape, cleaned, and old tape removed and replaced with new 3M double sided tape. If you aren't OCD about these things forget about the badge removal and polishing and just do the touch up paint and layer it close to level with the factory paint. Never use the brushes that come with touch up paint for filling in fine scratches like this as they are too thick and are only good for filling in chips.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-08-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #63
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typically if you order new badging from the dealership, it will include decals to help you align it correctly. I really think it would be easier and the result will look nicer just to remove the old one, correct, and apply the new one. But I'm pretty particular I suppose.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #64
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a Porsche. Your only option is to remove the badge and repaint the entire car. Cost of ownership, sorry.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #65
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Hey guys ... do we have a resident Calgarypuck friendly autobody shop on the list?

Thanks!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #66
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Warren at http://www.sportscarcoachworks.com/index.asp

has helped me a number of times. Located in the NE off Edmonton Trail.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #67
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone recycle a car before and get cash for it, and if so recommendations on places? Putting to rest a 91 town car. RIP!

Edit - if you auto guys are interested, 205k on the engine (4.6 v8) and seems perfect. Air suspension light goes on, electrical gremlins causing headlights to not work. Tires prob have 10k on them.. Goodyear graspics?

Last edited by calumniate; 08-11-2018 at 07:01 PM.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #68
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Anyone have a good estimate of how much a brake fluid flush should cost? I got an estimate from the dealership but I want to see what people would normally pay for this (in Calgary).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #69
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think a better question is why? What vehicle, how old, tow with it?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #70
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I talked to a couple of places and all they've told me is that it's a job for touch up paint. The only other option would be to re-paint the panel.

Okay... so is there a place in town people would use for touch up work like that? Somewhere that knows what they're doing in terms of the application of base coat, clear coat, sanding and polishing that will make it look better than I could do it? One of the places I went to was literally called "Auto Touch Ups" and they weren't even apparently the shop for it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #71
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can't tell by your pic if the clear is damaged or the scratches are deeper. Your car also looks like it could desperately use paint correction I'm thinking a detail shop could do the touch-up or tell you where to get it done.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #72
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Didn't want to bump the winter tire thread but I'm thinking of ordering early so have a few questions.

A narrower tire for winter tires makes sense, but really in Calgary how much deep snow do we have where that'll be really impactful? A good portion of winter tire season is spent on dry or mostly clear roads. Is there still a benefit of going down a size if one isn't going to go narrower as well?

For a car where the front and back tires are different sizes (rears are wider), would you stay with similar sizes and widths?

I.e.
18x8.5" wheels front with 235/50/18 tires
18x9" wheels rear with 265/45/18 tires

Would just going to 17x8.5" wheels for front and back be fine? Or narrower? Or just get the same wheels/tires in winters.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #73
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is there still a benefit of going down a size if one isn't going to go narrower as well?
Cost, generally speaking. I dropped a size but kept the same width.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #74
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had Michellin X-Ice 225/50/17's on a G6 and they were a lot better than I expected of a wide tire. I would be more worried about compound and tread than tire width.

Drove on them for two years in Moose Jaw where they rarely plow. never got stuck.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #75
photon

Exp:

Hm thanks.

Looking at Nokain Hakkas. They have a run flat option it seems too, which I might not want in the summer but in the winter seems like the added mass would be less of a problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #76
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't want to bump the winter tire thread but I'm thinking of ordering early so have a few questions.

A narrower tire for winter tires makes sense, but really in Calgary how much deep snow do we have where that'll be really impactful? A good portion of winter tire season is spent on dry or mostly clear roads. Is there still a benefit of going down a size if one isn't going to go narrower as well?

For a car where the front and back tires are different sizes (rears are wider), would you stay with similar sizes and widths?

I.e.

Would just going to 17x8.5" wheels for front and back be fine? Or narrower? Or just get the same wheels/tires in winters.
I run staggered in the summer and square in the winter. Winter tires wear faster for me so I liked the idea of getting rotations out of them. I went 225/45/17 in winter on 17x8 rims as opposed to 255/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear in the summer.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #77
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hm thanks.

Looking at Nokain Hakkas. They have a run flat option it seems too, which I might not want in the summer but in the winter seems like the added mass would be less of a problem.
You will hate your life if you buy run flat winters. I did that the first year because I have no spare and thought it would be a good idea but the ride was so rough on half pliers roads that it was a nightmare. I’m also in a sports car so if your in an SUV I imagine a larger sidewall would remove some of the harshness.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #78
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hm thanks.

I've had Nokians on a couple vehicles, nothing low profile but they are great winter tires.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #79
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I.e.

I just bought winters for my wife's SUV

Summers
21x8.5 245
21x9.5 275

New Winters
19x8.5 235
19x8.5 255

You don't need to go staggered wheels for winter if you still want staggered tires. I originally tried to order 9.5" wheels for the back, but on winter tires you can't mount a 255 on 9.5s.

Her summers are run flats, but I didn't get winter run flats, and we have no spare.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #80
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
You will hate your life if you buy run flat winters. I did that the first year because I have no spare and thought it would be a good idea but the ride was so rough on half pliers roads that it was a nightmare. I’m also in a sports car so if your in an SUV I imagine a larger sidewall would remove some of the harshness.
Hm good to know. It's not an SUV it's a sportier car (Cadillac CTS Coupe). Yeah I don't think I could deal with that.

I guess it's just buy a roadside assistance membership somewhere... So many cars now have no spare!