Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #21
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Awesome video AC how did you find that one?

I remember watching that game and wondering the same thing so many other people were wondering. Sakic, Yzerman, Gretzky for the shootout! What was Crawford thinking?! At least he realizes he knows what his gravestone will say because man, I distinctly recall being so riled up about that decision to leave out Gretzky.

Greatest player of all time and you can sit on the bench but we’ll put this defenceman out here. Wow. What a crazy decision. Also so bizarre that they “hadn’t thought of it (the shootout)” according to Lindros. I sure hope the coaches had thought about who to put out there. You could tell that Canada came in a little cocky but met the best goalie at the time. What a cool story for the Czechs though.

So many great players in that tournament. Team USA was also so stacked. Hilarious to listen to Hull pretend that the team tucked themselves into bed at 7pm sharp every night of the tourney, meanwhile the hotel is destroyed after the loss...

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 08-08-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #22
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gretzky was a safe choice but I was not angry he was left on the bench. The entire Canadian roster could have shot on Hasek five times each and they still wouldn't have scored a shootout goal. My biggest gripe in 1998 was the Canadians not bothering to show up for the Bronze.

The late 90s were sure a dark time for Canadian hockey but it did make the 2002 victory so much sweeter.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Gretzky was a safe choice but I was not angry he was left on the bench. The entire Canadian roster could have shot on Hasek five times each and they still wouldn't have scored a shootout goal. My biggest gripe in 1998 was the Canadians not bothering to show up for the Bronze.

The late 90s were sure a dark time for Canadian hockey but it did make the 2002 victory so much sweeter.

Really? I was always of the same opinion as Fleury: Canada wins gold or nothing. I didn’t even care to know the outcome of the Bronze Medal game at the time.

It is pretty amusing after the fact watching how resentful many of the Canadian players are about losing in the shootout. I have always felt this way, but from an outside perspective it sure sounds petulant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #24
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Canada just needed to move on from the 80s oilers. Gretzky, Messier, Sather (coach in '96)...

The '89 Flames Fleury, Nieuwendyk, and MacInnis did get to redeem Canada in '02 though.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: