Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 07:38 PM   #341
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Also let's not pretend like people with deeply rooted issues don't attract other people with similar issues.

Usually well reasoned, well adjusted, secure people don't run off with and commit to compulsive liars with potential personality disorders, unless they're still very young and naive or got married within weeks or months of meeting.
Dude, this is a cringey ####ing sentence that boils down to victim blaming.

True colours coming out after marriage is very common.

Sure, there are plenty of 'everyone sucks here' situations. What's your point? There are plenty where that is not the case. I see no reason to believe this is the former. But hey, maybe she's sooooo crazy and dramatic that she just really want to tell her kids' friends' parents all about the police coming over during a sleepover.

Or maybe she just saw the many downsides and few (if any) upsides for her and her family to proceed through this ordeal.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 11:54 PM   #342
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Myth of False Allegations of Intimate Partner Violence

https://ablawg.ca/2023/11/08/the-myt...tner-violence/

Quote:
In 2018, the federal Department of Justice noted that intentionally false allegations of family violence in family law disputes “are generally understood to be rare” (see Family Violence: Relevance in family law). Australia’s National Domestic and Family Violence Bench Book, 2023 edition instructs judges that “false denials of true allegations are more common” than false allegations of family violence (at s 4.1). In the United Kingdom, Michael Flood’s research cites a 2022 report of the Metropolitan Police that found that from 2018 to 2021, police flagged domestic abuse complaints as false in only 0.01% of complaints in that period.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 12:22 AM   #343
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Dude, this is a cringey ####ing sentence that boils down to victim blaming.

True colours coming out after marriage is very common.

Sure, there are plenty of 'everyone sucks here' situations. What's your point? There are plenty where that is not the case. I see no reason to believe this is the former. But hey, maybe she's sooooo crazy and dramatic that she just really want to tell her kids' friends' parents all about the police coming over during a sleepover.

Or maybe she just saw the many downsides and few (if any) upsides for her and her family to proceed through this ordeal.
That was not discussing the case involving Lucic. That was a post building off the tangent discussion that was irrelevant to this case, regarding posters claiming they dated compulsive liars and Pepsi's funny remark about taking anecdotal accounts as gospel.

Work on your reading comprehension. This jumping to conclusions without reading the chronological posts thoroughly enough to grasp the context gets silly sometimes.

As for this case, I don't think we can say anything definitively because it was dropped and you can't convict people based off a police testimony (where, as another poster pointed out, anything can be said) but if I were a betting man I'd say he ####ed up and she did what other victims unfortunately do and dropped charged once asked to testify. I don't think this was nothing or theatrics, and I feel for her, but even more so the kids.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 02-17-2024 at 01:04 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #344
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That was not discussing the case involving Lucic. That was a post building off the tangent discussion that was irrelevant to this case, regarding posters claiming they dated compulsive liars and Pepsi's funny remark about taking anecdotal accounts as gospel.

Work on your reading comprehension. This jumping to conclusions without reading the chronological posts thoroughly enough to grasp the context gets silly sometimes.

As for this case, I don't think we can say anything definitively because it was dropped and you can't convict people based off a police testimony (where, as another poster pointed out, anything can be said) but if I were a betting man I'd say he ####ed up and she did what other victims unfortunately do and dropped charged once asked to testify. I don't think this was nothing or theatrics, and I feel for her, but even more so the kids.
5/7 posts, including the 3 immediately before yours were talking directly about the Lucic case. The other 2 were space jokes. Then before that there was some talk of dementia...

So I guess it's that well adjusted people don't end up with people who end up having dementia? Or is it that the posters talking about difficult experiences with past partners must themselves not be well adjusted? I think you'll have to spell it out for me because apparently my reading comprehension is just that bad that I have no idea what point you're trying to make or what thread you were picking up?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #345
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Please point me to where I said you can make a definitive conclusion from a police report. All I said was that it was more than assertion.

This has nothing to do with “rights”.

But again, what reason would there be to fabricate the notes?
Okay, you said that what the prosecution read was some esoteric thing that lies between an assertion and a fact.

The notes themselves are not fabricated; I'm sure they're exactly what the police officer wrote down. The substance of the notes is biased because of what they want the outcome of the case to be. For example, they may write "subject was argumentative and belligerent", but they will not write "subject was calm and polite". They are not an impartial record of what happened.

No need to be upset. You tend to see things from a prosecutorial standpoint and I tend to see them from the eyes of the defense. We're different.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:18 AM   #346
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Okay, you said that what the prosecution read was some esoteric thing that lies between an assertion and a fact.

The notes themselves are not fabricated; I'm sure they're exactly what the police officer wrote down. The substance of the notes is biased because of what they want the outcome of the case to be. For example, they may write "subject was argumentative and belligerent", but they will not write "subject was calm and polite". They are not an impartial record of what happened.

No need to be upset. You tend to see things from a prosecutorial standpoint and I tend to see them from the eyes of the defense. We're different.
No, I see things from a defence perspective, because that’s the only criminal law I ever did. But they wrote down “victim’s neck was red”, that’s an observation of fact. And in fact their notes in this case had evidence going both ways.

It’s nothing esoteric. It’s just evidence - albeit much of it hearsay.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:28 AM   #347
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"The Boston Bruins organization supports Milan and his family as he continues his personal rehabilitation," the team wrote.

After his arrest, Lucic entered the NHL's Player Assistance Program, which helps players going through mental health and substance abuse issues.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:28 AM   #348
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like maybe they both have substance abuse issues.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:33 AM   #349
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

It's more common than you'd wanna believe. Codependency and enabling families is just a.Startin point.
Few see it for what it is.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:51 PM   #350
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not uncommon for substance abuse program entry to go hand in hand with dropped or stayed charges or “alternative measures”.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 04:10 PM   #351
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

His wife is apparently filing for divorce.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 04:13 PM   #352
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If drinking alcohol turns you into a moron, quit drinking alcohol.

If you can't quit drinking alcohol on your own, seek help.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 05:52 PM   #353
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If drinking alcohol turns you into a moron, quit drinking alcohol.

If you can't quit drinking alcohol on your own, seek help.
Unfortunately you usually have to hit rock bottom before path 2 starts happening.

Path 1 almost never happens.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #354
Jiffy Loob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good for her - takes a lot of courage to take this step:

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...er-allegations
Jiffy Loob is offline   Reply With Quote