Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #401
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it is too bad we missed out on Bishop because King was on a plane
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #402
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trading at 1st round pick for a goalie is madness. That would be terrible asset management. When was the last time a GM did that?
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #403
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Trading at 1st round pick for a goalie is madness. That would be terrible asset management. When was the last time a GM did that?
Cory Schneider?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #404
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Cory Schneider?
and Martin Jones..
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #405
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Treliving brought these goalies in but both Smith and Elliott faltered. And I dont think thats squarely on Treliving. If both goalies could have had a GAA and S% somewhat close to their career average numbers these talks wouldn't be happening.

Would be really silly to fire Treliving over this. His positives FAR outweigh the negatives IMO.

But yes, Smith now for a long time just isn't capable of being a starting goalie.

I believe Treliving is exploring options.
That is great and I am not saying he hasn't made positive moves. However, the end result is winning a Stanley Cup. If at the end of the year, the Flames don't make the playoffs... positives outweighing negatives mean nothing because you have to look at the bigger picture and goal.

This is his 5th season as the GM. One fluke season with a playoff series win and then swept by the Ducks. If the Flames miss the playoffs this season, then he needs to go. Especially if the goaltending falters again.

As I said, just my opinion though. Keep in mind, as much as we rip on Chiarelli, his Oilers team has won more playoff games than Treliving's team and Chiarelli started a year later.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #406
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get that. But this team, this year, is the best team we've had under Treliving, and thats because he built it.

Guess I still trust Treliving and that he will do what he can to fix this problem.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #407
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That is great and I am not saying he hasn't made positive moves. However, the end result is winning a Stanley Cup. If at the end of the year, the Flames don't make the playoffs... positives outweighing negatives mean nothing because you have to look at the bigger picture and goal.

This is his 5th season as the GM. One fluke season with a playoff series win and then swept by the Ducks. If the Flames miss the playoffs this season, then he needs to go. Especially if the goaltending falters again.

As I said, just my opinion though. Keep in mind, as much as we rip on Chiarelli, his Oilers team has won more playoff games than Treliving's team and Chiarelli started a year later.
This is a vary short sighted view of the situation isn't it? Chiarelli lucked out falling into the best player in the world and a goalie that played way above his pay grade for a season, not really comparable.

The biggest thing for a GM is job security. Give him some leash to build his team because these things take time. You don't want a GM making moves to try and save his job. You want a GM that is there to make decisions for the long term success of the franchise.

Yes Treliving has failed in bringing in a long term, quality starting goalie, but it's not like he hasn't been trying. He has been in conversations and rumors surrounding Talbot, Jones, Anderson, Murray, Bishop and probably more that we don't even know about.

Smith started out strong and it looked like a good move. Banking on him being at least average this year wasn't a crazy idea.

It would have been hard to acquire a goalie when we were spending picks on Hamilton and Hamonic at the time. You can judge how those moves turned out, but I think the team looks awesome on the ice today.

All in all if Anaheim wouldn't have got that offer from Toronto we are likely sitting here today with Anderson in net and a top 3 team in the league. I know it's early, but as of right now it looks like a goalie is the missing piece to this team- who knows Rittich might even be that guy.

Treliving leaves no stone unturned and I can guarantee he knows we need a goalie just as much as everybody on here. Firing him now would be a massive mistake in my opinion. Like, who do you replace him with?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #408
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Tre's two options are to:

1) trade when a team with a pending ufa goalie falls out of the playoff race. That likely won't be for another 30+ games.

Or

2) trade for another teams back-up goalie sooner than later

Sophie's choice.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #409
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
and Martin Jones..
and Raanta
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #410
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
and Raanta
The Raanta trade also included a Stepan cap dump. I don't think the Flames would have been able to make that deal.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #411
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I am triggered. WHY did King have veto power over hockey decisions!? Part of our long strange history.
EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #412
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The Raanta trade also included a Stepan cap dump. I don't think the Flames would have been able to make that deal.
I don't think Stepan was a cap dump.

Guy points up 50-55 points everyseason and is a top 6 center.

Plus not like it was a cheaper cost for taking on Stepan - they gave up the 7th overall pick and DeAngelo - who himself was a first round pick who played 39 games for Arizona that season.

That trade is tougher to break apart what the cost for Stepan was vs. what the cost for Raanta was.

But from the Flames you were looking at 16 overall (Valimaki) + Andersson/Kylington likely to get even close to what Arizona paid overall.

And Arizona's package is still better
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #413
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think smith will bounce back. Physically and athletically he’s still got it. It’s his confidence and positioning that need to come back. Maybe the new equipment is affecting him? But I don’t get the drop off in play. I think part of his problem was the team defense, or at least that was making him seem worse than he actually was playing. The team has tightened up defensively, now he needs to find another gear. I don’t think it’s out of the question. Also I don’t have much more confidence in Rittich. I don’t think treliving is going to find a goalie anytime soon that is a bonifide #1.

It needs to be figured out internally. And I think it’s going to happen.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #414
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

I think you regain picks in trading guys like Smith (Florida).. .
Why would Florida or anyone give us picks for Smith? He's one of the worst goalies in the league, and isn't even cheap. He's not even an improvement on James Reimer, and Luongo should be back in a couple of weeks.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #415
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
And that may have ended top being a blessing in disguise if that trade had included the #6 pick, which turned into Matthew Tkachuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #416
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too am very reluctant to see the team trade it's first round pick. One 3rd round pick over a two year period is going to have long term implications and at some point, you're not going to have anyone playing on an ELC.

I'm not a huge Treliving fan, more middle of the road, but I don't want to hang the guy over this. If I owned the team, I'd want to know what his plan is.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #417
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I too am very reluctant to see the team trade it's first round pick. One 3rd round pick over a two year period is going to have long term implications and at some point, you're not going to have anyone playing on an ELC.

I'm not a huge Treliving fan, more middle of the road, but I don't want to hang the guy over this. If I owned the team, I'd want to know what his plan is.
I agree. And if I am the owner of the team my priority would be to ensuring that the team is more likely successful in the long run and not just in this season.

Simply put, the Flames and Treliving are in a jam, and I think it is unlikely that this is an issue which gets resolved before the end of the season. Is ownership brave enough and committed enough to a longer-term goal to see this through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #418
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to pull a name out that should be relatively cheap to acquire.

This player is from Western Canada.
This player is 30 years old, so should still have something left in the tank and something to prove.
He has 49 NHL starts in his career, of which 33 are quality starts (.673 QS% - the highest of anyone active with at least 30 starts)
He has a career .923SV% in 56GP and a 2.31 GAA.
He's currently his team's 3rd string goalie.
He's played one game this season, where he saved 31/33 shots he faced, but lost.
He has previously shown he can handle a string of consecutive starts with huge pressure to win.

Andrew Hammond.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #419
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Trade Mike Smith + something to the Wings for Howard.
Howard is a UFA so give the Wings an asset beyond this season, a season in which they will miss the playoffs.

If Howard performs well here, sign-him to a 2-3 year deal.

Jesus, how many more bandaids need to be put on this festering tumour?

Howard is not the answer. The time for spending assets on stop gaps is over.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #420
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wings have been bad but Howard has looked pretty good for them actually. As far as stop gaps go, you could do much much worse. Like you know, Smith.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote