Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #381
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Treliving tried 3 times to get Bishop. Not sure what more he could have done there.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #382
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bishop was a free agent who signed elsewhere for less money. He wanted to play in Dallas.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #383
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would try to run with Lehner and Rittich for a season. No need to spend big assets on a goalie when time after time teams have been able to win cups with average goaltending.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #384
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Are you talking about them not being able to reach KK? Was that for a Bishop deal? And is that a real thing?

Yeah I can't recall all the details but sounds like a deal was done but they couldn't get all the approvals from the Flames' end.

And the second time Bishop had no interest in coming here.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #385
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion that first round pick is untouchable. The Flames can't wait to pick until the 3rd round another year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #386
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

We differ on that. I think that 1st is as good as gone. This team will get a goalie ad its going to use that as currency. Just my opinion.

Edit - I also see now that Lack is on waivers. Just saying

(kidding, put down the knives)

Last edited by Toonage; 11-08-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #387
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Something in me feels like we should try and get a non superstar goalie that has some good stats the last few seasons.

Halak, Khudobin, Greiss or Lehner.

Basically try and duplicate how we got Kipper. Thats doable right? RIGHT?!

I really miss Kipper.
Halak is going nowhere. boston can't trust Rask and Halak has the best stats in the league.
you'd have better luck getting rask from them right now.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #388
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^I don't like that idea of trading the first pick, we could be where we were lats year out of the playoffs without a 1st pick and nervous about a generational lottery pick. They may be at the point where they need to throw every single goalie in the organization at the problem until someone sticks.

If you trade the first pick the list of targets begins and ends with Carey Price, otherwise no way. I'd rather have them tank(win and lose games at 4-3 and 5-6), then draft the pick and sign a goalie FA.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-08-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #389
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Halak is going nowhere. boston can't trust Rask and Halak has the best stats in the league.
you'd have better luck getting rask from them right now.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #390
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one. Treliving should be fired if this continues and the Flames miss the playoffs. I would rather spend assets on a #1 goalie than another garbage washed up goalie. No faith in Treliving getting his head out of his arse when it comes to goalies.

Last edited by keenan87; 11-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #391
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
No one. Treliving should be fired if this continues and the Flames miss the playoffs. I would rather spend assets on a #1 goalie than another garbage washed up goalie. No faith in Treliving getting his head out of his arse when it comes to goalies.
So...you want it fixed but you don't want a replacement?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #392
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
So...you want it fixed but you don't want a replacement?
I just don't have faith in Treliving. How about we fire Treliving and then fix the goaltending with the new guy? That's the option I choose.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #393
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Mike Smith + something to the Wings for Howard.
Howard is a UFA so give the Wings an asset beyond this season, a season in which they will miss the playoffs.

If Howard performs well here, sign-him to a 2-3 year deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #394
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't have faith in Treliving. How about we fire Treliving and then fix the goaltending with the new guy? That's the option I choose.

What makes you think the new guy is somehow going to be able to magically produce a true #1 goalie. With what assets? Which goalie do you think he can just go and get.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #395
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
We differ on that. I think that 1st is as good as gone. This team will get a goalie ad its going to use that as currency. Just my opinion.

Edit - I also see now that Lack is on waivers. Just saying

(kidding, put down the knives)
At best they can trade the 2020 pick, because at the very least they would have the 2nd rounder still. Trading this years first, would be short sighted and could potentially cripple the longevity of this team. I would argue that any young player has more immediate value than a pick, and would not hurt the Flames as badly in the long run.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #396
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Roster mods except goal, and coaching hire are looking pretty good as of right now. Smith is on the last year of his contract. I don’t see Tre going anywhere.

If the coach was wrong and they didn’t make the playoffs, maybe, but Smith imploding was not reasonably foreseeable
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #397
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm just as frustrated with Smith's play as everybody else, but how can you tell he has hit a wall? Or that he is done?

Plenty of goalies have gone through rough stretches where they have lost their confidence and bounced back to being solid again.

I'm not arguing that is the case here because I really don't know, but what is it that makes it so definitive about Smith? I ask because unfortunately it kind of looks like we are tied to him this season whether we like it or not.
Look at his positioning...well actually lack of positioning.

He is perennially too deep in his net.

He continually lets goals in via the 5-hole...every player in the league knows this.

He can not control his rebounds.

He is continually flopping all over the ice...in grand fashion none the less...could get a top 10 for every dramatic flop he makes. Good goalies can make saves and stay on their feet to face the next shot.

He never squares himself to shooters or comes out of the net to challenge them.

Good goalies might start to falter and show a weakness in one area of their game. With Smith, his problems are compounding.

As far as I am concerned, he has not only reached his best before date, he has passed it.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #398
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What makes you think the new guy is somehow going to be able to magically produce a true #1 goalie. With what assets? Which goalie do you think he can just go and get.
I don't know that the new guy will be able to do. However, I do know that Treliving has had way too many shots and has blown all of them. So, the new guy won't do much worse than him.

Assets.. draft picks, parsons, kylington, bennett...
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #399
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Roster mods except goal, and coaching hire are looking pretty good as of right now. Smith is on the last year of his contract. I don’t see Tre going anywhere.

If the coach was wrong and they didn’t make the playoffs, maybe, but Smith imploding was not reasonably foreseeable
That's right and I agree with you that the coaching and roster moves are looking alright. However, as a GM you need to make sure all parts are working. Especially, once you have had multiple attempts. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if this was his first attempt but it is not. At some point, you need to fix the *biggest* issue you have been having over the past few seasons.. and going in with a starting goalie in his late 30s and a back-up that would have cleared waivers at the start of the season is not the most reasonable idea imo.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #400
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Treliving brought these goalies in but both Smith and Elliott faltered. And I dont think thats squarely on Treliving. If both goalies could have had a GAA and S% somewhat close to their career average numbers these talks wouldn't be happening.

Would be really silly to fire Treliving over this. His positives FAR outweigh the negatives IMO.

But yes, Smith now for a long time just isn't capable of being a starting goalie.

I believe Treliving is exploring options.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post: