Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #321
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Maybe he will be the time we hit as a franchise on old formerly good goalies that we pick up off the scrap heap. We missed on Fuhr, Vernon, Wregget, Hiller, Elliott and Smith. Maybe it is 7th time lucky.
Didn't exactly hit on Curtis Joseph or Niklas Backstrom either
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plaedo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #322
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaedo View Post
Didn't exactly hit on Curtis Joseph or Niklas Backstrom either
Forgot those guys, a Flames tradition to bring in a goalie 5 years after their prime and hope for the best. Only good thing with those two is that they were not brought in as starters. The other six were brought in as starters.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #323
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Perhaps making the highest salary or top 3 salary on a team isn’t what motivates him. Maybe we actually have some players that believe in the concept of a team and are willing to “only” make 6-7MM instead of 7.5-9 MM so they can surrounded by a team that can win
Sure. Maybe. Or maybe having a father who fought for every penny he earned will be impressing on his kids how important it is to get paid every cent?

Maybe having a brother in the league will motivate him to get as much as possible to raise the stakes on his brothers next contract.

Quote:
Do you think iginla wishes he could trade 15MM of his career salary to have a Stanley cup? I do
I don't.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #324
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sure. Maybe. Or maybe having a father who fought for every penny he earned will be impressing on his kids how important it is to get paid every cent?

Maybe having a brother in the league will motivate him to get as much as possible to raise the stakes on his brothers next contract...
Yeah, I am fully expecting a massive contract for Tkachuk. I will be surprised if it is not the most valuable contract in team history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #325
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 goalies over three seasons

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...three-seasons/
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #326
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would have been nice to land Raanta back when he was available. I was skeptical at the time, but he's been phenomenal in every Yotes game I've watched.

Realistically I think we roll with Smith and Rittich this year with Rittich starting every third game or so. Adjust accordingly depending on who is going.

Off season could be huge though- not sure if we have the money to land Bob, but you have to think the Flames will explore it. Talbot might look better getting off that Oilers roster as well. He has proven that he can steal games.

No matter what they end up doing I think you just hope for Rittich's continued development and see how far he can go. He's a real late bloomer so who knows what he might be in 2-3 years.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #327
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

A Team is only as good as its goalie.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #328
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been really impressed with Rittich thus far, but we shouldn't forget last season so quickly. Rittich should have the starters net if we weren't so interested in Smith regaining form we haven't seen in almost a year, but that's still a risk I wish we'd stop taking.

Rittich has shown thus far that he gives you a better opportunity to win games in 2018, but we've seen the wrong end of the goalie gamble enough times. I hope that Brad is very involved in a trade that would bring someone like Bobrovsky here, and finally shore up this teams biggest weakness. Worst case? Rittich plays great, and ends up creating an unstoppable goalie duo.

I think you regain picks in trading guys like Smith (Florida), Frolik, Brodie, etc if you need to rebuild your prospect pool. But we also have a ton of youth in the NHL right now. I'd rather avoid it if we can, but I think we'll survive another weak draft if it means legitimately giving the team a shot at making some noise.

Last edited by Split98; 11-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #329
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Crawford is just an average goalie IMO. When the Blackhawks won the 3 Cups, the team in front of him was the best in the league. They won with Niemi and they could've won with any other average goalie. Takes a team to win, not just one guy to shoulder everything like Kipper (and Iggy).
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #330
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
A Team is only as good as its goalie.
I get what you are saying, but this is not really true. Even with little better than League-average goaltending there are often teams that are among the top teams from one season to the next. The Flames this year are ranked among the best teams, and their goaltending has been generally poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #331
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I think Crawford is just an average goalie IMO. When the Blackhawks won the 3 Cups, the team in front of him was the best in the league. They won with Niemi and they could've won with any other average goalie. Takes a team to win, not just one guy to shoulder everything like Kipper (and Iggy).
Without him last season they totally unraveled as he had a .929 SV% in 28 games which was keeping them competitive. He's better than average IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #332
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if Smith continues to struggle, I see a few possibilities:

1) Jankowski is the major piece in a Bobrovsky deal. There won't be an extension as I think Bobrovsky like most Russians probably has his eyes set on the Eastern US and likely the Islanders (less in the spotlight).

2) Jimmy Howard is acquired for cheap. He is the poster boy for average goalie, but maybe that's all this team needs. Plus Peters was the assistant coach in Detroit during Howard's best statistical years.

3) Craig Anderson is acquired for cheap assuming he is actually playing well and better than Smith. Another aging goalie, but like Smith is UFA. It would obviously just be for the playoff run. No long term extension.

None of these are long term solutions, but the asset cost is relatively low. In the off-season, Tre can try and land Talbot or Varlamov via free agency.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #333
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at Hartley's Flames when they made the playoffs - 'decent' goaltending that year (middle of the pack in almost every statistical measure IIRC). I do think that Rittich and Smith are able to provide that to Calgary. I think you just have to let Smith play through his downs right now. If he doesn't right the ship, then you can see about looking for another goalie. Must be a few that are on the cusp of making the NHL, or a few that are on the cusp of being pushed out by an up-and-comer, and so on. Something cheap and adequate.

Rumor has it that Bobrovsky wants a huge payday. How is that going to work under the cap?

A team is only as good as their goalie when their goalie is either absolute trash or absolute elite. Flames are a terrific team that just need average goaltending to remain a terrific team. I think the Flames just have to show a bit of patience first with how Smith is doing, while keeping their eyes and ears open to see who may be available on the cheap.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #334
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Crawford also had a .929 SP in 28 games last year. That roster was far from best in the league and they struggled immensely after he went down with an injury and they missed playoffs.

Crawford is a big part of that team and I think he's underrated. He won his fair share of those playoff games single highhandedly.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #335
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He definitely seemed pretty average then, but he has definitely earned his spot amongst his peers since then:
https://www.nhl.com/player/corey-crawford-8470645

But that team was a cheat-code TBH, and I think it'll be a lot easier to get a Cup-calibre goalie than hope that the team can prop Smith to .920+ (sorry if I misconstrued the point)
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #336
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get what you are saying, but this is not really true. Even with little better than League-average goaltending there are often teams that are among the top teams from one season to the next. The Flames this year are ranked among the best teams, and their goaltending has been generally poor.
"League average goaltending" is usually not good enough to get you out of the first round most years. And certainly not enough to win it all.

Just because one team once won a cup with Niemi doesn't mean it's to be regularly attempted. Usually teams win because Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas, Matt Murray, whomever, decides to stop letting in pucks.

You need a guy who can consistently give you .920. Period.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #337
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need above average goaltending. It's just that sometimes it comes from guys who are average, but going really well when it counts.

If the present Flames hit the POs with first half of last season Mike Smith (or mid-two seasons ago Elliott), that's a deep run.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #338
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think if Smith continues to struggle, I see a few possibilities:

1) Jankowski is the major piece in a Bobrovsky deal. There won't be an extension as I think Bobrovsky like most Russians probably has his eyes set on the Eastern US and likely the Islanders (less in the spotlight).

2) Jimmy Howard is acquired for cheap. He is the poster boy for average goalie, but maybe that's all this team needs. Plus Peters was the assistant coach in Detroit during Howard's best statistical years.

3) Craig Anderson is acquired for cheap assuming he is actually playing well and better than Smith. Another aging goalie, but like Smith is UFA. It would obviously just be for the playoff run. No long term extension.

None of these are long term solutions, but the asset cost is relatively low. In the off-season, Tre can try and land Talbot or Varlamov via free agency.

1. If Jankowski is the major piece, you're not getting Bobrovsky.

2. Jimmy Howard is a below average starter

3. Craig Anderson is a below average starter.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
1. If Jankowski is the major piece, you're not getting Bobrovsky.

2. Jimmy Howard is a below average starter

3. Craig Anderson is a below average starter.
No one should pay a lot for a rental though. The Sabres got a second (conditional first on a re-signing), a conditional fourth and a prospect for the top rental available last year. Bob is worth a little more, but no manager is giving up a definite first in return or a good roster player for someone who won't stay.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #340
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one should pay a lot for a rental though. The Sabres got a second (conditional first on a re-signing), a conditional fourth and a prospect for the top rental available last year. Bob is worth a little more, but no manager is giving up a definite first in return or a good roster player for someone who won't stay.
Yep, no way our 1st is in play without an extension in place for Bob. As far as him wanting to go out east, I dunno. He’s gonna get paid well whenever he ends up and if he comes to Calgary, he’ll immediately be on a cup contender for several years. Gotta figure that’d be pretty appealing.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote