Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 08:46 PM   #8881
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 05:48 PM   #8882
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Republicans - and to some extent Liberal Democrats - have figured out that there is a strong current of anger running through the population. Specifically, anger at the fact that the "American Dream" is a lie for almost everyone. By appearing to be angry, politicians allow voters to identify with that emotion. Towards whom the emotion is directed is almost totally irrelevant, what matters is the emotion itself. I am certain this was the ultimate secret to Trump's success, this appearance of anger.

Post-Covid, we hear over and over again that 'people are angrier than ever' and I'm starting to ask myself how much of this is the tail wagging the dog. Regardless, anger is electorally profitable.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:43 PM   #8883
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Republicans - and to some extent Liberal Democrats - have figured out that there is a strong current of anger running through the population. Specifically, anger at the fact that the "American Dream" is a lie for almost everyone. By appearing to be angry, politicians allow voters to identify with that emotion. Towards whom the emotion is directed is almost totally irrelevant, what matters is the emotion itself. I am certain this was the ultimate secret to Trump's success, this appearance of anger.

Post-Covid, we hear over and over again that 'people are angrier than ever' and I'm starting to ask myself how much of this is the tail wagging the dog. Regardless, anger is electorally profitable.
There isn't anger at the American dream being a lie. It's pure fear because the world is changing faster than it's ever changed before and no one has a job that can't be taken away or a lifestyle that can't be changed. The way we do everything is changing and fast. What we're seeing is simply scapegoating, mostly from one side, though it's certainly done on both sides
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:07 AM   #8884
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I don't know if the American dream is a lie or if it's dead, it's just different. There's more opportunity for some and less for others and more opportunity in different areas, less in others. Like everything, it's become politicized that certain groups have to achieve certain things and that is a measurement, but in general, there is a lot of competition and with all competitions, people get left behind.

Yes everything is changing fast but I feel it's always changed fast. For example, i know programmers who couldn't keep up when we went from mainframes to PCs.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #8885
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So one of the things the unions were fighting for during the threatened strike was better safety regulations. Lo and behold, here we are a several weeks after the government intervened to stop the strike and Norfolk Southern, who has lobbied heavily against safety regulations has a train blow up in Ohio.

I'm sure Mayor Pete will be all over this to ensure it doesn't happen again.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #8886
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always good to know what the Communist Party of Canada has to say about American industry and politics. It's always fun when two completely unrelated events become intertwined.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #8887
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
It's always good to know what the Communist Party of Canada has to say about American industry and politics. It's always fun when two completely unrelated events become intertwined.
Communist Party of Canada? Is this the level of analysis your "students" get these days?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 04:04 PM   #8888
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should probably just close the thread and/or impose a "residents and experts only" rule for this Off-Topic Forum on a Hockey Message Board.

We have no standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 04:51 PM   #8889
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Should probably just close the thread and/or impose a "residents and experts only" rule for this Off-Topic Forum on a Hockey Message Board.

We have no standing
Just start referring to yourselves as aliens.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #8890
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Communist Party of Canada? Is this the level of analysis your "students" get these days?
If any of my students came up with connection you made between government action against disruption of critical infrastructure and a transportation accident, I'd ask if they had a head injury. Next level stupidity with zero understanding of governance. But hey, you got the thanks from the unaccomplished smarmy incel segment of CP, so that should keep you chugging along.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:21 PM   #8891
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But hey, you got the thanks from the unaccomplished smarmy incel segment of CP, so that should keep you chugging along.
Take 5 Lanny, what other people post on the internet shouldn’t bother you this much.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 10:25 PM   #8892
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 10:29 PM   #8893
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Take 5 Lanny, what other people post on the internet shouldn’t bother you this much.
What people say on the internet? The man can’t even stop himself from hating the internet. He thinks “Google” is a slur.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:33 PM   #8894
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

By invoking the power of calling people incels, Lanny wants to make sure everyone here knows

...Lanny f ucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:46 PM   #8895
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
By invoking the power of calling people incels, Lanny wants to make sure everyone here knows

...Lanny f ucks
Only if you count what he believes happened when he was abducted by aliens. Part of the same very “real” memory he earned his PhD in.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:55 PM   #8896
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the Republican Party Went Crazy (1 hr podcast, worth a listen but long. Also skip the first 2:30)

Spoiler!
Old 02-11-2023, 02:53 AM   #8897
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If any of my students came up with connection you made between government action against disruption of critical infrastructure and a transportation accident, I'd ask if they had a head injury. Next level stupidity with zero understanding of governance. But hey, you got the thanks from the unaccomplished smarmy incel segment of CP, so that should keep you chugging along.
Let's get you to bed after you've had your dose of Real Time With Bill Maher.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2023, 07:39 AM   #8898
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny has never exactly been subtle when it comes to being a Richard, but he seems to have really ramped it up of late.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:56 PM   #8899
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-wake-up-call

Tell us again how rampant cost-cutting measures by this massively profitable company had "nothing to do" with this derailment...
Old 02-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #8900
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lanny has never exactly been subtle when it comes to being a Richard, but he seems to have really ramped it up of late.
I'm tired of the little passive aggressive shots from certain posters. You don't want me to be a dick, don't be a dick towards me. Attack my argument and don't try and discredit me or my accomplishments as an attempt to make your empty argument seem valid. It's weak sauce and when you do it, I'm going to start doing it right back at you (not you Senator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-wake-up-call

Tell us again how rampant cost-cutting measures by this massively profitable company had "nothing to do" with this derailment...
This is a huge problem but do we know what the cause of the derailment was? They suggest a broken axel, but the NTSB is still investigating. It would be very useful to know what the cause of the derailment was before casting blame. I think there are a lot of moving parts in an incident like this and we need more information.

It's great they got the leader of a union to comment on the issue - no bias likely to be expressed there - but there wasn't any balance with comment from the company or from the government. I do appreciate they mentioned how the industry provides self-oversight as this is a massive problem across many industries in the US. The conservative agenda has been to eliminate government oversight and instead pass it back to the very people who require oversight. I don't think we'll see any changes in this regard until Americans begin to understand the mechanisms of oversight and how important is to have outsiders manage and complete that oversight.