Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #81
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Goalies are fine. The team just isn't that deep. We got wooed by the first half of last season. Tre didnt fall for it though he has been trying to pull off trades for secondary scoring left and right it just hasn't worked out for him yet.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #82
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Brutal since the all star break followed by a beat down in the first round.
25-26 since the AS break including playoffs IIRC.

Far from good enough.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #83
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have those breakdowns at the start of the second, it's probably a much different game, with potentially a different outcome.

Just watching the highlights, Hanifin and Hamonic were on for both the 3-2 goal and the 4-2 goal. Didn't look good on either.

Come back with a strong effort against Florida on Thursday and try to get some momentum going into the Heritage Classic.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a different note, those championship rings the Raptors got are the size of a Volkswagon
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #85
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

People saying "we played allright"... which game did you watch??? Calgary didn't play anywhere near "allright", ffs. Gaudreau did not play well at all; like nothing worked for him. And when Gaudreau doesn't have a good game, nobody does for some reason. Anderson's goal was a dumb fluke, OK, but it was started by Talbot taking his sweet time behind the net, completely unnecessary. Our possession was bad, zone entries were bad for the most part; it was all Washington and they didn't even try hard!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #86
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Capitals 5, Flames 3

Thoughts from the Dome:
- effort looked good
- the top line is complete trash right now. They aren’t executing anywhere near where they need to be. Monahan looks like the best one, and Gaudreau looks totally ineffective during 5v5 play.
- Czarnik and Mangiapane both stood out as having strong efforts and good games tonight
- Rieder’s speed is effective. He’s coming on.
- Felt bad for Talbot. Just had a bad night.
- Tkachuk and Backlund are also not executing anywhere near the level they should be
- The Flames should have been a lot, lot better in the 3rd period. Not a good enough push back.

Trust the process, I suppose - but the process can’t take much longer.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #87
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
That Wilson goal. Talbot lifted his leg to let it in.

The Anaheim win buys him some slack. He may have used all of it.
Really you are gonna blame him for a guy wide open in the slot? in that situation the goalie is guessing a bit
Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #88
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Really you are gonna blame him for a guy wide open in the slot? in that situation the goalie is guessing a bit
Agreed.

On a clear cut and needless 3v2 with a poor backchecking effort by the top line.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #89
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

40 minute efforts result in losses. It's like driving a car when you are speeding. Take your eyes off the road for 5 seconds and bad things happen.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #90
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I have to agree with the poster in the gdt. I think Tre made a huge error in not closing the deal on the stone trade.
Good gosh, when are people going to realize that trading for essentially a rental on this team would've been worth giving up Valimaki? Come on now.

And if we re-signed Stone, how would we have been able to sign Tkachuk? We couldn't have.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #91
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yep.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #92
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're 5-5-1 and CP is acting like we're 0-11 and out of the playoff picture for good.

The team hasn't even hit it's stride yet, not even close and doesn't have a losing record despite having a semi-tough schedule.

We'll be fine without having to trade Gaudreau or Monahan.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #93
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
We're 5-5-1 and CP is acting like we're 0-11 and out of the playoff picture for good.

The team hasn't even hit it's stride yet, not even close and doesn't have a losing record despite having a semi-tough schedule.

Team lost its stride post all-star game last season.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #94
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #95
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see ryan pike on twitter posting how the record this year is the same as last year, and that should make us feel more comfortable or something. Are we just to assume this team figures it out 'like always' after 1 year of precedent.

This isn't the same as iggy having weak October's across a hall of fame career.

Last edited by bubbsy; 10-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

First, let me preface this by saying this isn’t a knee-jerk reaction to a single game. This observation has been slowly building since the start of the season.

To me, this is how our current depth breaks down (not in any order):

Top liners
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Tkachuk

Second liners
Backlund

Third liners
Mangiapane

Fourth liners
Bennett
Ryan
Lucic
Czarnik
Jankowski
Reider

Our top talent isn’t top enough (and our bottom talent is too bottom) to hide the tumbleweeds that are just blowing through our middle-six. We need another top-six guy really bad. We couldn’t land Zucker or Kadri in a trade, and we didn’t have enough room to just sign anyone, so our only hope was that Bennett would finally step up to the plate.

I don’t know what we’re going to do, but it’s crystal clear to me that we need to move someone pretty significant out. Nobody wants Frolik, and Brodie’s off the table because Valimaki’s on a table. I don’t envy the mess Treliving is in with this roster.

Hate me all you want, but I almost feel like this is a pretty good season to write off and draft high. Dump some s##t off the books at the deadline, throw a gigantic pile of darts at the draftboard and then beg Hall to come and play for his home team. Even that doesn’t sound overly spectacular to be honest.

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #97
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
On a different note, those championship rings the Raptors got are the size of a Volkswagon

Just looked it up, man those look fugly on your finger.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #98
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

This edition of the Flames is not good enough and we are far too inconsistent.

We know the talent level on this team and more importantly what this team is capable of. The standards for this team have risen since last season and it's not to early to be critical of their performance.

This team can and should be better.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #99
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m no coach but from tv it looks like teams defend CGY breakout with 2 guys pressuring up ice and 3 along their blue line. It seems to negate the entries. Why doesn’t CGY do that if true (and effective)?

They need to figure out a counter where they keep possession. I did see some creative plays by CGY on indirect stretch passes. Tkachuk in particular.

I didn’t watch long stretches but what I saw was pretty good. No great chances but that’s credit to WAS they are very good defensively. First goal against was not good.

I know he scored but Rieder plays one speed, albeit fast, but NHL players just angle you off and rub you out. Obviously his role is PK and bottom 6 and I don’t mean to single him out but I’d just like to see some plays. He’s giving effort though and it’s more team wise not finishing - so yeah not his fault at all.

They’ve got to adapt attack where they can get some flow, quick passing. I might be wrong but there is another level in them.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-22-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #100
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that this team seems to have far too many 4th line players.

But really, we need to win on the play of our top line. They’re not producing 5on5 in enough games and some of the chemistry seems to be missing maybe. Not enough talent on this team to overcome poor games from the top line, especially Johnny G.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote