Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #401
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to imply no difference at all. Just that there's no reason to pay like $1000 more for one 55" over another because you want the benefits of the better TV.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #402
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry, I'll further clarify, if money is no object than it probably is worth paying a lot more for a better TV at 55". If money is an object, which it is for most, then don't worry too much unless you're getting into that 65" range.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #403
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
i'll refrain from a long spiel but i'll be as obnoxious as possible instead..
Not sure why you'd be annoyed. I gave you exactly what you were asking for, which is the best options in your price range that meet your size requirements. I just think you should almost certainly be looking at a 65" at minimum (although having said that, there are some situations where anything bigger than 55 simply won't fit or where you're, say, installing it in a foot-of-bed TV lift).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #404
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
i'll refrain from a long spiel but i'll be as obnoxious as possible instead..

lol that was so annoying haha thanks for the help though bud.
He wasn't obnoxious at all and not only answered your question the first time around but even followed up with more useful information afterwards.

I mean, being obnoxious would have been something like "read the thread you lazy-arse".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #405
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

21 pages.

Sweet Jesus.

I am starting the search to buy a new TV for the basement. It will be finished sometime in June. Needs to be good enough to optimize a PS5.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #406
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given that it's in the basement, think about whether you want a projector... they're actually at a point where it's a realistic option for gaming.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #407
jayswin

Exp:

Are they actually good now? I have PTSD from all my friends in the 2000's claiming they had 70-100" screens in their basements that was better quality than most TV's because they bought a projector.

Every single one of them was severely underwhelming, and not even close to touching medium to high end TV's at the time.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-29-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #408
jayswin

Exp:

Although back then it wasn't common to buy TV's over 42-50" for a reasonable price, so at least the 60-100" was a novelty. But the quality? Nope.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #409
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The only projectors I've seen that really rival LCD are the short throw Laser TVs

Amazon has them for $3500, which when considering it's a 100 inch screen is pretty damn cheap
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #410
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the new builds are likely to have mild steel studs, not much to anchor a self tapping bolt into either
How do you do this? Metal drill a pilot hole and then have to insert an anchor?

Wooden studs were so much easier back when I was in a house.

It's funny but we were talking to construction company about mounting TVs in our office which also has steel studs and they said they don't even bother with this. They just glue a big piece of plywood to the wall, screw into the drywall, and then attach the TV mount to this rather than anchor in the metal studs?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #411
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Given that it's in the basement, think about whether you want a projector... they're actually at a point where it's a realistic option for gaming.
I don't think there is the space.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #412
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Are they actually good now? I have PTSD from all my friends in the 2000's claiming they had 70-100" screens in their basements that was better quality than most TV's because they bought a projector.

Every single one of them was severely underwhelming, and not even close to touching medium to high end TV's at the time.
Picture has been pretty good for a while, but they've been unusable for gaming due to the lag. Now they're finally pretty decent in that regard... the Optoma UHD50X seems to be the standard now, but there are competitors. You can get a whole setup, including sound, for about $3K, though obviously if you want really good sound it gets more expensive.

I still wouldn't necessarily recommend going the projector route except in the narrow use case where you have a basement with lots of real estate for a big screen, or a house you don't want to have a TV in because it'll break up the view (like a waterfront cabin or something).

But, for example, my dad has a dedicated theatre room in his house that's perfectly set up for a projector, with the only source of light being a sliding door covered with a very effective blackout shade that is then doubly covered when the projector screen comes down. That's something not a lot of people have, but if you have a basement and you can black out the windows with good blinds, you could potentially get pretty close. And in that circumstance, a gigantic screen to play games on is pretty epic. I played through all of TLOU2 and FF7 Remake on my dad's theatre screen and it was quite an experience, even though the games themselves were both a bit disappointing.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #413
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
21 pages.

Sweet Jesus.

I am starting the search to buy a new TV for the basement. It will be finished sometime in June. Needs to be good enough to optimize a PS5.
Anything with gaming NEEDS VRR in some fashion or another. Gsync, freesync whichever.

Concept and implementation was the single best thing in monitors on the PC side post 2013. Now with consoles using it, you'll regret not having it certainly.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #414
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Anything with gaming NEEDS VRR in some fashion or another. Gsync, freesync whichever.

Concept and implementation was the single best thing in monitors on the PC side post 2013. Now with consoles using it, you'll regret not having it certainly.
Has the PS5 even been updated to utilize VRR yet?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #415
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had projectors since about 2007. I love them, and ya, playing games is awesome on them. I don't play FPS, but I do play driving games and input lag has never been an issue. Same with paltformers. Quality is just fine, I'm still running 1080p because I had a lot of issues with the 4k ones I tried. That's my biggest complaint, I found them not very refined.

I have no windows in my media room, and can shut 2 doors for complete darkness, but it still does pretty well with lights on full, though I usually dim them quite a bit. The cost/screen size is the biggest benefit. My current projector was about $900, for 96". It's a Benq HT50a, with lag of about 16ms. I think my old one was around 25ms. Honestly my brain lags a lot more than the projector.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #416
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Everything I've been reading about the new Samsungs says there are way better TVs for the price than what Samsung is pumping out, particularly in their lower-end offerings.

I'd go with a TCL 6-series before a Samsung Q60 or Q70.

I bought this TV in 55”.

I had some shipping troubles through Amazon so I just went to Best Buy and got it. Same price.

The TV is fantastic so far. I never used Roku before but I like it so far.

Most importantly, picture quality is insane. Amazing.

One minor gripe: the remote works like #### out of the box. Takes five clicks sometimes to get to a menu etc. Really frustrating trying to sign into accounts etc.

So I google it and turns out tons of people have the problem. Easy fix, just re-pair the remote to the TV. Remote works flawlessly now. With such a common problem you’d think they would just mention it in the quick start guide to re-pair the remote right off the bat.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #417
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the same issue with my TCL remote. Really wish the Hulu and Netflix buttons were programmable to launch different apps.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #418
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I had the same issue with my TCL remote. Really wish the Hulu and Netflix buttons were programmable to launch different apps.
I was going to say there's an Android app that can do that, but I forgot TCL is Roku. So I'll just say that if you get a Shield or the new Chromecast TV, you can get an app for those called Button Mapper that will let you remap any button on your remote to any function that you want. And if the TCL remote is bluetooth you should be able to pair it to those devices
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #419
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I was going to say there's an Android app that can do that, but I forgot TCL is Roku. So I'll just say that if you get a Shield or the new Chromecast TV, you can get an app for those called Button Mapper that will let you remap any button on your remote to any function that you want. And if the TCL remote is bluetooth you should be able to pair it to those devices
The companies (Netflix, HULU, etc) paid TCL/Roku to have those branded buttons so there isn't a workaround. Thought someone would have hacked it by now but I haven't been able to find anything on the interwebs.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #420
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bought this TV in 55”.

I had some shipping troubles through Amazon so I just went to Best Buy and got it. Same price.

The TV is fantastic so far. I never used Roku before but I like it so far.

Most importantly, picture quality is insane. Amazing.
1. Glad to hear it’s as good as I hoped it would be!
2. I’m 2 for 2 now.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote