Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #241
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rattie projects to Rene Bourque, IMO. As others have mentioned, he is always going to need somebody on his line willing to do some of the grind work. If he achieves that, he is going to be a great second round pick for the Blues.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #242
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
I wasn't going to comment on what I thought of Rattie when the Winterhawks came to Saskatoon, but since it's the hot topic right now, I'll give my 2 cents.

The good: Rattie knows where to go in the offensive zone. He has a very good sense of where the play is developing in the zone and can set himself up for a scoring opportunity. He also is pretty difficult to knock off the puck for his size.

The bad: He did not engage in the play at all. He would find his spot and wait for the puck to come to him. He is not a game changing player, he is a good supporting player that needs someone to do the dirty work. He also did basically nothing in his own zone, again was always just waiting for that breakout pass, never trying to get the puck himself.

Very small sample size but that's what I saw out of him. Also, he really needs to learn to have his head up when he has the puck, he's going to get destroyed in the NHL if he doesn't change his game up a bit. The one thing I could say with certainty was in that game against the Blades, he did not contribute at all to the win.
I've seen him play 5 times live and would agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. He has a finishers touch, and reads the play very well. Seems to play a bit recklessly with the puck and doesn't back check well
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #243
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Rattie projects to Rene Bourque, IMO. As others have mentioned, he is always going to need somebody on his line willing to do some of the grind work. If he achieves that, he is going to be a great second round pick for the Blues.
Except he's shorter and much weaker. I don't see the comparison at all.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #244
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good first week for Jon Gillies. Was named the defensive player of the week in the Hockey East.

@CoachLeaman
Congrats to Jon Gillies on Hockey East defensive player of week. #gofriars
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #245
LHCB
Draft Pick

Ryan Culkin was selected to take part in the Subway Series in November.

Seeing who they invited, I'd say he has a good chance of making the Canadian junior camp in December. He's the third best defenseman on the QMJHL's roster.
LHCB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LHCB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #246
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coda Gordon and his Swift Current Broncos teammates will be on WHL On Shaw as they host the Everett Silvertips tomorrow at 7:00 PM MT.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #247
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been reading a lot about Coda Gordon lately and from most accounts, I believe that I read he does a lot of his work in the dirty areas and isn't necessarily highly skilled with the puck. I haven't actually watched him play but am really quite keen to see what he's like.

Has anyone already watched? Can you describe what sort of player he is and tell me if there was a reason he was in the 6th round with decent point totals?

Note: I am honestly pretty big on him, personally I think he looks like a great pick thus far.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #248
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Has anyone already watched? Can you describe what sort of player he is and tell me if there was a reason he was in the 6th round with decent point totals?
I think the most common player he's associated like is Matt Moulson. He's got a decent shot, but mostly gets the dirty goals in front of the net ala Moss or Smyth. He knows where to go to score and just heads there. I think one scout I heard said that he's not the flashiest player in the world, but he'll just find a way to work out goals.

One huge note is that his stat's aren't a great representative of what he does either. He was on a brutal SC team last year.

Goal scoring is his biggest stat, while the rest of it is a bit of a work in progress. He isn't a great passer (effective, but nothing special), and is always pointed out on his skating. One other concern some have raised is the fact that he has only 12 PIM despite working so hard in front of goalies; if you're going to be there, you should be a bit meaner. I think that's a bit silly, but I can see what they're thinking.

He was predicted to be a 3rd round pick by most scout's count. 6th was a bit of a surprise.

This article is a pretty good summary. The guy ended up pretty keen on him and thought that he was a 45-60 pick (in a later post, his words were effectively "The Flames won't be disappointed in taking him").

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...da-gordon.html

I draw the comparison to Moss from this description. I personally see a bit more of Moulson in him, but if the Flames get Moss, that's still amazing value.

Last edited by kirant; 10-17-2012 at 08:50 AM.
kirant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kirant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #249
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice, thanks for the reply, I'll follow his stats a bit this year and hopefully watch a few games if he goes to Abbotsford. I don't know if I'm stupid for it, but he's the most interesting player for me from the draft this year, even despite the out-of-nowhere Jankowski.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #250
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Erie Otters are in to play Windsor tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing Connor McDavid, there is a lot of buzz about him.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #251
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaron Vickers' (from FutureConsiderations ---> FCAV on this board ) assessment of Gordon after the draft paints a pretty good picture:

[The Flames] have a got a lot of players in key spots. Take a look at Coda Gordon going where he is: he scored 30 goals with Swift Current this year - he's a good talent. He's one of those players that know where to be to put the puck in the back of the net. And there's nothing about his game that stands out to you, there's nothing that jumps off the page at you ... but for some reason, all he does is find the back of the net. So with a pick like that - phenomenal value for when you get him.

I trust Aaron in this case
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #252
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames drafted extremely well this year. Jankowski projects decently. But Sieloff fills an organizational hole. Culkin is fantastic value in the fifth round. Gordon is great value in a late round.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #253
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sieloff with a primary assist and 2nd star in a 2-1 win over the Otters.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #254
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sieloff with another Monster hit tonight! Pestering Connor McDavid a lot during the first two periods ref pulled him aside presumably over all his little cheap shots on the kid, talked to him for a long time at the end of the 2nd.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #255
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The Flames drafted extremely well this year. Jankowski projects decently. But Sieloff fills an organizational hole. Culkin is fantastic value in the fifth round. Gordon is great value in a late round.

If Culkin pans out it will certainly be a blessing that Wideman didn't sign with us before the draft as we would have had to surrender that pick
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #256
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Sieloff with another Monster hit tonight! Pestering Connor McDavid a lot during the first two periods ref pulled him aside presumably over all his little cheap shots on the kid, talked to him for a long time at the end of the 2nd.
Was it Sieloff giving the cheap shots?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #257
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
No need to worry since it starts at the very beginning.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #258
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing! I love this kid!
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #259
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how he throws a huge clean hit like that without getting penalty ... and his team comes out of it with a huge chunk of powerplay because of Pelech:

2 - ER A. Pelech, 15:56 - Instigator, 2 min (PP)
2 - ER A. Pelech, 15:56 - Fighting, 5 min (3 PP)
2 - ER A. Pelech, 15:56 - Misc-Instigating, (46.10) 0 min
2 - ER A. Pelech, 15:56 - Game Misc-Agg., (46.2) 0 min

They scored both goals during the following powerplay.

Last edited by devo22; 10-19-2012 at 03:55 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #260
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this isn't relevant to the Flames, but Connor McDavid is an exciting kid to watch. He is a fantastic skater, very smart, makes good decisions, good puck movement. Hard to believe he is only 15.

Tags
2012 , 2013 , heat , prospects , statistics