Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 03:33 PM   #1901
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
There are some very optimistic fans here, if the Dallas model is so successful, why aren't more teams doing it?

I would be very interested in a poll " which year will the flames make the playoffs again"
For me atleast there's what I think they should do verse what I think they will actually do.

They will try the Dallas model. I don't think it will be successful. But that's probably what they're trying to do.

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since there is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

It should really force them to choose a path.

Last edited by traptor; 04-25-2024 at 04:03 PM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:53 PM   #1902
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
For me atleast there's what I think they should do verse what I think they will actually do.

They will try the Dallas model. I don't think it will be successful. But that's probably what they're trying to do.

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since their is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

I think the path could be chosen for them.
Backs may want to go to a cup winner.
Kadri may not want to rebuild.
Anderson could be up in the air.
Eat bread seems to be on his way out.
Markstrom seems to be packing his bags.
As well as kuzmenko and sharangovich.

We could still see a lot of players turned over even next year.

Myself love Backs but don’t want to extend him nor lose him for nothing.
Would like to re sign sharangovich, kuzmenko hard to say where he stands as far as career here, but put a good center between them you may have something.

One thing only will be a for sure next year and that will be unpredictable seas.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #1903
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I think the path could be chosen for them.
Backs may want to go to a cup winner.
Kadri may not want to rebuild.
Anderson could be up in the air.
Eat bread seems to be on his way out.
Markstrom seems to be packing his bags.
As well as kuzmenko and sharangovich.

We could still see a lot of players turned over even next year.

Myself love Backs but don’t want to extend him nor lose him for nothing.
Would like to re sign sharangovich, kuzmenko hard to say where he stands as far as career here, but put a good center between them you may have something.

One thing only will be a for sure next year and that will be unpredictable seas.
Yeah forsure. The scary part though is they have the assets in picks and cap space to haphazardly fill those holes if they really want to.

Hearing the connie interview again he says the dallas model but understands that they hit it massive on the one draft and it might take some time here.

I think it just comes down to they'll never intentionally bottom out to get a top draft pick. They're willing to end up with later picks while keeping the team somewhat competitive.
Theyll wait until players emerge from those later picks. If they get a lottery draft then great.

Feels like they're fine with being somewhere in the middle if that's how it works out but they're not okay with intentionally bottoming out even if it takes longer.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #1904
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Tanev really does like it here and he wants to chase a cup, I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that he sees signing one-year contract(s) in Calgary as his best move. Spends most of the year in his preferred locale and then gets moved for two to four months to one of the real contenders (may be impacted by how much trade protection he negotiates). There are a lot of contenders at the beginning of each season that become pretenders throughout the season. Getting traded to real contenders at the TDL may result in higher odds of getting that cup vs. signing a multi-year deal with, for example, an Ottawa.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 02:39 PM   #1905
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since there is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

The Flames were basically the worst team in the league after the TDL.

It would be a miracle for them to be middle of the pack next year.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:47 PM   #1906
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
If Tanev really does like it here and he wants to chase a cup, I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that he sees signing one-year contract(s) in Calgary as his best move. Spends most of the year in his preferred locale and then gets moved for two to four months to one of the real contenders (may be impacted by how much trade protection he negotiates). There are a lot of contenders at the beginning of each season that become pretenders throughout the season. Getting traded to real contenders at the TDL may result in higher odds of getting that cup vs. signing a multi-year deal with, for example, an Ottawa.
If Tanev's wife stayed behind in Calgary, it would make even more sense. No move in the off season.

It would be a motivator for him to sign a salary that's attractive in a trade as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:51 PM   #1907
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It would be a miracle for them to be middle of the pack next year.
I don't think it would take a miracle... but it would be unwise because being middle of the pack is exactly where they should avoid being. The aim should be greatness not middle-of-the-packness.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good