Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #4581
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Ya but we also had both regehrs, both Hamiltons, and certainly the better Gaudreau
I was cherry picking for sure. We had the better Mullen and Vandermeer, and probably tied for Hunters. We had Ron Sutter for a cup of coffee - that's a middling brother. We had the worse young Sutter.

I also forgot about Michael v. Mark Stone. Actually I'd like both of those.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #4582
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If a Hall caliber winger could only get Larsson, no way in hell a UFA Kane will get a Brodie level defenseman.

Buffalo is also in a midst of a rebuild, why would they want Brodie anyways? They should be asking for prospects and picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #4583
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
If a Hall caliber winger could only get Larsson, no way in hell a UFA Kane will get a Brodie level defenseman.

Buffalo is also in a midst of a rebuild, why would they want Brodie anyways? They should be asking for prospects and picks.
Treliving v. Chia-pete.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #4584
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In what world is Evander Kane worth TJ Brodie?
If you can agree to a deal to sign him then it works. If it's just for a half season then no, not a great deal depending on how he works out.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #4585
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I don't think BT would give up a lot of assets for a rental unless an extension is in place. With the cap going up and a lot of money coming off the books next year, a Kane extension isn't out of the question.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #4586
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
If you can agree to a deal to sign him then it works. If it's just for a half season then no, not a great deal depending on how he works out.
Kane has had some success in parts of these last 2 seasons, but he has been universally hated by his teammates and has been a general disappointment wherever he has gone.

You don't trade TJ Brodie for that kind of risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #4587
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Kane has had some success in parts of these last 2 seasons, but he has been universally hated by his teammates and has been a general disappointment wherever he has gone.

Quote:

I mean the deal is essentially a second pairing D for a top line RW. It gets complicated by the UFA status. But if you land guy on pace for 40 goals, close to 400 shots and legit snarl and can keep him for multiple seasons by dealing from a position of strength then it's not crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #4588
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Ya, I don't think BT would give up a lot of assets for a rental unless an extension is in place. With the cap going up and a lot of money coming off the books next year, a Kane extension isn't out of the question.
It would be a terrible move in my opinion. Kane is overrated and had a poor track record. Is it a shock he is playing well during a payday season?

Kane would join Monahan, Gaudreau and possibly Backlund as forwards making over $6M. Tkachuk, Ferland, Bennett need contracts the year after next and the Flames need to decide what to do with their goaltending as Smith also is a free agent.

I don’t think they can take the risk of signing Kane long term
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #4589
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the deal is essentially a second pairing D for a top line RW. It gets complicated by the UFA status. But if you land guy on pace for 40 goals, close to 400 shots and legit snarl and can keep him for multiple seasons by dealing from a position of strength then it's not crazy.
Really? Kane has been that for 23 games this season. We know how poorly he's performed in seasons prior, we know how much his teammates hate him.

Calling it a '2nd pairing D for a top line forward' is disingenuous and you know it.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4590
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is Kane not a top line RW and is Brodie not a second pairing D?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #4591
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to look at it in isolation of teammates, systems, and prior results, I suppose you could say that, but to ignore any of these is nonsense.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #4592
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was playing around with the GM mode on CapFriendly looking at next year's team with an $80,000,000 salary cap. I don't think there's any doubt that we will move one of our defenseman to bring in some scoring.

With Kulak looking like he's here to stay and Andersson and to a lesser degree Kylington looking like they're close we do seem to have a surplus of defensemen. Not to mention the fact that Valimaki sure appears to be the real deal.

I don't know if it's an in season or offseason move but I strongly suspect one of our top four guys will be on the move.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #4593
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
If Vegas falls out of the race (unlikely at this point though) I rather try and get James Neal either as a trade or sign as a UFA.
Why is that unlikely? Don't get too caught up in the new standard predictive stats when it comes to the playoff race (eg: If team X is here by date X their chances of falling are 7% etc). They're an expansion team that has built an amazing start on being gifted the nicest season starting schedule in league history.

One 4 - 6 game losing streak is very likely at some point and with it a fall out of the playoffs that they likely won't be able to recover from.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #4594
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Father Nylander.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #4595
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to look at it in isolation of teammates, systems, and prior results, I suppose you could say that, but to ignore any of these is nonsense.
I'm interested to hear what you think Brodie is worth. Who would you trade Brodie for?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #4596
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is Kane not a top line RW and is Brodie not a second pairing D?
Is Kane not a locker room risk?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #4597
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wayne Simmonds is the only deadline aquisition I'm interested in. We probably can't afford him, but that's okay too.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #4598
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks to trading for Kane, as others have said this is a contract year and suddenly he is playing great, no coincidence there. He's been overpaid for several years now and someone is going to overpay him again, hopefully it's not us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #4599
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I also forgot about Michael v. Mark Stone. Actually I'd like both of those.
Don't you mean you'd take Mark Stone 100 times out of 100?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #4600
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when so many people here were against going after Jeff Carter because they thought he was a bad locker room guy. Turned out to be a pretty good guy after all, he just needed time to grow up and I think the same goes for Kane. He's exactly the type of player we need
Closed Thread