Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #41
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah? So? You still have every right to go vacation there if you want, but their official stance is still that people should avoid non-essential travel over the border. Why should he make things nicer for people who are ignoring that anyway?

"Hey everyone I know our official stance is against non-essential travel but please be nice to everyone ignoring that."

That's kind of a silly thing to expect.

I don't like Horgan and wouldn't be travelling to BC anyway, but what do they owe Albertan vacationers anyway?
What's so hard about saying "please dont vandalize peoples cars".

nothing.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
What's so hard about saying "please dont vandalize peoples cars".

nothing.
Well, despite the very few instances of this happening (I think you'll find maybe 1% of stories that allude to this harassment, and a few of them are dubious) he addressed it fine I thought:

Quote:
"We don't know why they would continue to have plates that are not consistent with British Columbia and we should act accordingly," Horgan said.

"If you believe that someone is a threat to you, you should keep your distance. If you can't, wear a mask and be civil and respectful. Be calm. Be kind. And we'll be safe."
Like he's basically asking what even I said was plenty to expect, because as he said, nobody really knows why someone has an out of province plate.

I'm just not sure why you, an Albertan who was planning to vacation in BC and ignoring in Horgan's request not to vacation in BC, thinks it's important that Horgan make a specific request not to vandalize OOP cars.

If you're going to ignore one of the recommendations they've made to keep BC residents safe, why would you care about him making recommendations to make Albertan vacationers feel safe? Seems weird.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #43
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, despite the very few instances of this happening (I think you'll find maybe 1% of stories that allude to this harassment, and a few of them are dubious) he addressed it fine I thought:

Like he's basically asking what even I said was plenty to expect, because as he said, nobody really knows why someone has an out of province plate.

I'm just not sure why you, an Albertan who was planning to vacation in BC and ignoring in Horgan's request not to vacation in BC, thinks it's important that Horgan make a specific request not to vandalize OOP cars.

If you're going to ignore one of the recommendations they've made to keep BC residents safe, why would you care about him making recommendations to make Albertan vacationers feel safe? Seems weird.
Jesus. Pulling the rip cord, because, apparently, you think it's worth arguing over the premier not giving a #### his province is vandalizing cars and acting like #######s to people they perceive as "not belonging".

I thought progressives didn't believe in orders btw? The #### is going on here?
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #44
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://trib.al/eHOuyOG
Old 07-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #45
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Horgan has also asked people to avoid non-essential travel over the BC/Alberta border, hasn't he? I don't think BC is yet at a point where they want to in any way encourage tourism.
They were welcoming people back a month ago...

Quote:
B.C. welcoming Alberta travellers, asking for caution

“Now that we’re moving into Phase 3, our message to them would be slightly amended to say, if you’re coming to British Columbia, be mindful of what British Columbians have done together to get us to a position where we can welcome people from other parts of the country,’ said Premier John Horgan.
Asking travellers to take the bus, ride transit, change plates (Larf Out Loud), is a completely childish response to criminal activity by citizens he governs. There are plenty out of province and out of country plates here in Alberta, the official message isn't "Come to Alberta, but be sneaky about it!"
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #46
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Horgan has also asked people to avoid non-essential travel over the BC/Alberta border, hasn't he? I don't think BC is yet at a point where they want to in any way encourage tourism.

And yet, Albertans who want to go to BC for a vacation are mad? I get the low-risk threat of being harassed in BC is annoying, but if you shouldn't be there in the first place if you're going on a vacation. Horgan's comments have shifted my thoughts from "I'm not going to BC" to "I'm definitely not going to BC." To be fair, his message to residents was to consider the fact that they don't know someone's travel intent just based on out of province plates, but I don't really think Horgan minds Alberta vacationers feeling unwelcome. We are unwelcome. Why are we going there?
Yeah, Fernie has been advertising on Global Calgary for a month for people to come out and visit. The thing about this is that BC has a very small segment of their population that are absolutely 'Deliverance' type bushed, backwoods people. This pandemic is just the impetus for their xenophobic, racist, get off my lawn flag to fly.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #47
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Going to Kannanaskis for 2 days this weekend to meet up with my bro and his partner who are coming from Saskatoon. We did our first BC trip last year to Panorama and it was great. We had hoped to go again this year but with the pandemic, we decided to limit ourselves to staying in the city with the exception of the trip to K-Country.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #48
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrated my wife’s birthday with a weekend at the lodge in Kananaskis. Was pretty well setup for Covid and we didn’t feel compromised at all. It helped that there is a very large patio for the restaurant so people can spread out more. Mix of maskers and non-maskers.

We just cancelled our driving trip to the coast but will spend a couple of days in Fernie instead.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
They were welcoming people back a month ago...

Asking travellers to take the bus, ride transit, change plates (Larf Out Loud), is a completely childish response to criminal activity by citizens he governs. There are plenty out of province and out of country plates here in Alberta, the official message isn't "Come to Alberta, but be sneaky about it!"
Yeah, I find it strange because there is both recent evidence about Albertan travellers being welcomed, but the official position is no non-essential travel. So admittedly, that’s confusing.

That said, how much of the harassment is criminal? The vast majority of people who have travelled seem to have had no issue at all. And of the few that have reported problems, most of those seem to be rude people and nasty notes.

I didn’t know like 5 instances of vandalism required the Premier to weigh in to placate Albertans.

Again, he said “be kind and keep your distance.” Being that of the few issues noted, most were simply being rude, I’m not sure what else we’re looking for here. His solutions weren’t realistic for most Albertan vacationers, but what are the other solutions? Don’t go? Would that have been better? I doubt it. Say nothing to out of province people? I guess, but his comments were addressing concerns OOP drivers had, so what’s he supposed to say to them beyond “here are some ####ty solutions and allow me to tell BC people to be nice, calm, and avoid people.” That seems like the extent of it, given how insignificant the problem is.

I don’t know. Just thinking out loud, I don’t the issue really, it was a nothing response to a nothing situation. Seems like a big stretch to change up your entire vacation response because you don’t like how Horgan says something, but then again, there are Albertans going to the news because someone left a mean note on their car. Feels like we’re being a little thin-skinned and dramatic about it, not really the reputation I’d want for Alberta, but oh well.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #50
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Because BC isn't a separate country.

What a garbage take.
There were pretty much no cases before tourist season picked up. Going around town in Penticton today, there are a lot of people from out of town, many from Vancouver as well as many from Alberta. Lots of youngish people around and very few wearing masks and socially distancing. Since Canada day the Okanagan has gone from having very, very few cases to being the COVID outbreak centre of BC.

Almost 1/3 of the population in Penticton is 65+ years of age. Same for the Okanagan overall. The local population is pretty old on the whole with lots of people in the highest risk demographic.

Asking people not to come is a double edged sword, because tourism is critical for the economy, but based on demographics and health risks, this is the last place people should be encouraged to come to.

People who are young and don't wear masks or social distance deserve resentment. Those aren't just people from Alberta. I believe it was reported that the Kelowna outbreak spread from Vancouverites. Regardless of where someone is from, they should be considerate of the fact that the local population of this major tourism region has a lot of people at high risk of serious or deadly consequences of infection.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #51
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

We went to Osoyoos to visit my wife's folks for11 days at the beginning of July. No one vandalized our vehicle, but it was getting busy as Hotels were full. Did the drive in one day each way with minimum stops in BC for fuel.

The inlaws were becoming a bit more concerned about the number of people in town. So a couple weeks later with better weather it's probably even busier.

I was thinking of heading out again in August though.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If cases here spiked because people from Saskatchewan didn't stop coming and breaking covid protocols, we'd be mad too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #53
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

BC’s relatively passive-hostile approach to Albertan tourism and COVID has definitely spelled out clearly that Alberta simply doesn’t have enough intraprovincial recreational spots to go to.

Again people don’t want to talk about it but it’s all the more reason for Alberta and Albertans to invest in Alberta-side recreational spots / towns / areas to support demand growth in our vast, vast, insanely vast land areas within the mountains. Canadian NIMBYism be damned.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #54
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
BC’s relatively passive-hostile approach to Albertan tourism and COVID has definitely spelled out clearly that Alberta simply doesn’t have enough intraprovincial recreational spots to go to.

Again people don’t want to talk about it but it’s all the more reason for Alberta and Albertans to invest in Alberta-side recreational spots / towns / areas to support demand growth in our vast, vast, insanely vast land areas within the mountains. Canadian NIMBYism be damned.
With COVID, people are uncomfortable with outsiders generally, regardless of whether they're from another country, province or city. It's just one of the nasty sides of how COVID affects people. If Alberta did have small towns drawing huge tourist populations during COVID, I'm sure people would be resentful of outsiders in those places too.

When COVID is no longer something to fear, people's attitudes will also adapt.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #55
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That could be true, sure. But we still have an oversupply of people into current mountain towns. This is one Sliver has right.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #56
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jarvis bay at Sylvan lake has been fantastic. No one really seems to be giving a #### over about covid over here, maybe 0.5% of people are wearing masks, playgrounds packed with kids, campgrounds fully packed, but lots are already so spaced out you barely notice the neighbours. Did see some bylaw officers encouraging social distancing between groups, but for the most part it just looked like a regular day at the beach.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #57
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
There were pretty much no cases before tourist season picked up. Going around town in Penticton today, there are a lot of people from out of town, many from Vancouver as well as many from Alberta. Lots of youngish people around and very few wearing masks and socially distancing. Since Canada day the Okanagan has gone from having very, very few cases to being the COVID outbreak centre of BC.

Almost 1/3 of the population in Penticton is 65+ years of age. Same for the Okanagan overall. The local population is pretty old on the whole with lots of people in the highest risk demographic.

Asking people not to come is a double edged sword, because tourism is critical for the economy, but based on demographics and health risks, this is the last place people should be encouraged to come to.

People who are young and don't wear masks or social distance deserve resentment. Those aren't just people from Alberta. I believe it was reported that the Kelowna outbreak spread from Vancouverites. Regardless of where someone is from, they should be considerate of the fact that the local population of this major tourism region has a lot of people at high risk of serious or deadly consequences of infection.

the outbreak in kelowna is a result of a group of individuals from the lower mainland and alberta that went to parties/'gatherings' around canada day. a lady from calgary was positive for covid. she was sick enough BEFORE she came here to get a covid test and still traveled even though she didn't have her results. as a result of that one lady causing an 'exposure event', there are currently close to 1000 people self isolating.

at least our top doc is a better with her words than horgan...
Quote:
Today, Dr. Bonnie Henry addressed the issue once again and urged residents to not jump to conclusions about people with out-of-province plates, as there are many reasons why they might have them in BC.

“We do not know everybody’s story and I think we need to pay attention to the fact that we’re all in this together...whether (our licence plate) is from Alberta, whether it’s from California or whether it’s from here.”
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #58
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
With COVID, people are uncomfortable with outsiders generally, regardless of whether they're from another country, province or city. It's just one of the nasty sides of how COVID affects people. If Alberta did have small towns drawing huge tourist populations during COVID, I'm sure people would be resentful of outsiders in those places too.
Read the Canmore pages on FB. People crap bricks daily about anyone from Calgary coming out. Not just a COVID thing though, they're always crapping bricks about "out of towners", it's just a bit more brick crapping than usual. The ToC/mayor have had to regularly ask Canmore-ites (Canmorons?) to refrain from verbally accosting anyone they think is not from Canmore & there have been accounts of vehicle vandaliam, especially to out of prov/out of country plates. I have read on those pages, of people recently moved there to work, having to tape stuff to their cars saying they're recent transplants, they live there, please don't damage the vehicle, they're getting things changed over. Very entitled bunch without COVID, always bitching about every little thing, online. I mean, it's truly ridiculous - "that person doesn't live in Canmore because they eat apples" or "that person can't possibly live in Canmore because they're walking with a backpack, people who actually live here wouldn't be caught dead walking around with a backpack" - how would you know?
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Yeah, Fernie has been advertising on Global Calgary for a month for people to come out and visit. The thing about this is that BC has a very small segment of their population that are absolutely 'Deliverance' type bushed, backwoods people. This pandemic is just the impetus for their xenophobic, racist, get off my lawn flag to fly.
I think you're seriously underestimating the size of that group.

One of the things I find funny about BC and Vancouver in particular is that if citizens of Vancouver and even the Island travelled through their province farther than their bicycles could take them from home they'd be shocked that the stereotype they've built of Alberta applies even moreso to them.

Head to the Interior, go North. People there drive giant, noisy trucks and make their livings raping the land.

Its actually really funny. The stereotype is to look at Alberta and think that we're a bunch of backwards rednecks pillaging our land for natural resources and BC is some advanced enclave of intellectuals.

While they raze forests to the ground and pollute water with pulp mills and human waste and where a large chunk of their revenue comes from people from elsewhere visiting....regardless of their protests about those visitors being unwanted.

Its like an odd isolationist compound.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 01:42 AM   #60
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think you're seriously underestimating the size of that group.

One of the things I find funny about BC and Vancouver in particular is that if citizens of Vancouver and even the Island travelled through their province farther than their bicycles could take them from home they'd be shocked that the stereotype they've built of Alberta applies even moreso to them.

Head to the Interior, go North. People there drive giant, noisy trucks and make their livings raping the land.

Its actually really funny. The stereotype is to look at Alberta and think that we're a bunch of backwards rednecks pillaging our land for natural resources and BC is some advanced enclave of intellectuals.

While they raze forests to the ground and pollute water with pulp mills and human waste and where a large chunk of their revenue comes from people from elsewhere visiting....regardless of their protests about those visitors being unwanted.

Its like an odd isolationist compound.
Sorry Locke but this post is hilarious and sad at the same time. You have exactly the same qualities and biases of the people you have so much disdain for. Your numerous anti BC rants are laced with the same rhetoric you rail against.

As someone who was born and raised in Calgary for the first 30 odd years of my life and have lived on Vancouver Isle for the last 20+ posts like these make me sad. I love Calgary and I love it out here but I am and always will be a Canadian first. This kind of petty bull#### isn't needed really right now. The anti BC posts and sentiments by some on this board lately is disheartening.

My take on travel and Alberta license plates is just that you are easy to spot so are an easy target. As a VI resident we have virtually no cases and I would like to keep it that way. I don't really want unnecessary visitors from Vancouver or Kelowna anymore than I want people from Alberta. It's not personal and I'm also sad that some Albertans are being targeted but i think that is few and far between and is unacceptable.

I think most health officials (and people in smaller communities) would prefer people to vacation or travel within their own province if possible. Is that so much to ask for one summer? Visiting family is one thing, you would probably have limited community exposure and family is important but for a random destination holiday I have mixed feelings.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post: