Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Care to share the average price per window? Just the full job price divided by the number of windows done. Curious what I should expect.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Care to share the average price per window? Just the full job price divided by the number of windows done. Curious what I should expect.
I think it depends on the amount of windows. If I recall correctly, most of the rough window quotes my parents received were roughly based on total sq ft of windows required on the house as their supplier cuts it to size and just add the necessary stuff around it or something. It's not exact, but not crazy exponential. I also seem to recall there was a significant jump from double to triple pane windows a bit more than additional materials and labour because it's more difficult to produce or something like that, but I don't know if modern technology has bridged those gaps.

I think the quotes were something like:
- Relatively fixed cost for showing up with equipment
- Variable hourly rate estimate for removal/install/cleanup; plus extra time expected on windows not near the ground.
- Variable price estimate based on total sq ft of window glass/trim to install and double/triple pane (not really by total windows IIRC)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post
We got all new windows may 2019. Which we needed had some drafty double pane windows but 80% were single Pane metal sliders.

We got quotes from ecoline, supreme and lux.

Ecoline sales guy gave us bad vibes and was lying about energy efficiency program to get us to sign.

Supreme was good but significantly more expensive. Parents had there windows done with them.

Lux sales guy was great and there price was actually the lowest and they offered triple pane sliders for our two small basement windows. They had a triple pane promotion and there windows come with low e 270 and 180 to keep heat in the house in the winter and sun heat out in the summer and neat clean glass also came with it.

We are happy and it has made a good difference already
We went with Lux during that promotion in May as well. Three awning windows, three static windows, one crank window, back door and front door. We had a sales lady that was great. Job went smooth and we are super happy with them.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #44
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just replaced all the windows and doors at my Priddis house, triple pane etc. I used Pella, not cheap by any means, but excellent workmanship.

As someone else said, you get what you pay for.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #46
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I used Western Windows about 8 or 9 years ago in my old bungalow, was pretty happy with the price, install and service.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #47
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are getting some quotes done right now. Supreme seems pretty professional, not sure how the prices are compared to others, but for example most windows are running between $900 - $1300 installed for vinyl, triple pane, with crank opening. For 21 windows and 2 doors (front entry door and garage side door) the quote was $28k.

Also waiting for Gienow to come by to do a quote. Anybody else that would be a good candidate for a 3rd quote?

Last edited by Wormius; 10-03-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #48
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know one company I talked to said, installation was about the same price as the window.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #49
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
$1200

Like you were saying in another post similar size house to ours. We have 11 windows.

Lux was actually the cheapest quote at $13,400 and the highest being $14,500.
We also got triple pane mostly casement only 1 fixed window the biggest.
A lady I work with had 11 done with Canadian choice windows and paid $10,000 but the experience sounded like a nightmare that wouldn’t end. The crew said they would do a side job fixed the vinyl siding and it took like 1-2 months and she said forget it and paid someone else. Also she is unsure if they sent away for the rebate.

With 8 single pane windows and 3 double we received a rebate of $1100
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twitchy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #50
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We are getting some quotes done right now. Supreme seems pretty professional, not sure how the prices are compared to others, but for example most windows are running between $900 - $1300 installed for vinyl, triple pane, with crank opening. For 21 windows and 2 doors (front entry door and garage side door) the quote was $28k.

Also waiting for Gienow to come by to do a quote. Anybody else that would be a good candidate for a 3rd quote?
Try lux. My parents went with supreme and were very happy but they were the highest quote I received.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve never heard anything bad about Lux and they have a metal clad exterior on a vinyl so you can choose an exterior colour and have that extra protection.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #52
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How many typical windows can they do per day? Is there a huge benefit price-wise for doing more at once (economies of scale)?

For example, let's say I wanted to upgrade a few windows each year so I'm not breaking the bank in one year. If I'm paying a fixed cost for them to show up at my house each day and set up, and they can do 3 windows per day, it would be more "efficient" to do 3 windows per year rather than 4 since I would pay the fixed cost for two days each year.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #53
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
How many typical windows can they do per day? Is there a huge benefit price-wise for doing more at once (economies of scale)?

For example, let's say I wanted to upgrade a few windows each year so I'm not breaking the bank in one year. If I'm paying a fixed cost for them to show up at my house each day and set up, and they can do 3 windows per day, it would be more "efficient" to do 3 windows per year rather than 4 since I would pay the fixed cost for two days each year.
11 windows took about 2-3 days. The cost was pretty hurt at the time we thought about doing just a few but they all needed to be done and were unsure if conservatives would take rebate away as well. It is cheaper to do more at once, I think when I asked about doing say like 5-7 instead of 11 it would add $100 per window roughly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twitchy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #54
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

No love for the diy option? Our sliding patio door failed last year and we replaced it ourselves. Wasn't that big a deal. I assume windows would be just as easy. We are probably due for ours in the next few years, I might do a couple (ground level) myself to try it first, and just get the big front window (~6 feet wide) and the upstairs done by professionals.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #55
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got the rest of my quotes in. Kind of weird, but the spread between the highest and lowest bids was tight. Is there some kind of Big Window price collusion going on?
Old 12-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #56
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Got the rest of my quotes in. Kind of weird, but the spread between the highest and lowest bids was tight. Is there some kind of Big Window price collusion going on?
Between ecoline , supreme and lux it was 13,400 , 13,600 and 14500. They were pretty close
Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #57
Salisbury
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would like to get a few quotes to get some leaking and cracked windows changed.

Any ideas of the quality and workmanship of Supreme vs Lux. Thanks for anyones input or advice.
Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #58
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post
I would like to get a few quotes to get some leaking and cracked windows changed.

Any ideas of the quality and workmanship of Supreme vs Lux. Thanks for anyones input or advice.
Supreme did our windows and they did an excellent job. Very happy with the experience, product and price.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my experience with both on some projects that used them, Lux appeared to be a better product. If it’s PVC/PVC though you probably don’t find too many differences and then it comes down to price and appearance of the mitres, jambs, sash dimension, stops and operating hardware.

If it’s a wood and metal clad window, then the differences might be more apparent.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #60
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s good to know about Lux. We are about too pull the trigger on replacing the windows and doors in the house and thought they had some of the options we liked. Kind of sucks making a big investment for comfort that you probably won’t get out when you sell the house.