Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default CBE online learning HUB Program

Anyone else considering keeping their kids out of school? The more I read about the CBE's return to school plan, the more concerned I am that it is foolish.

My wife and I are considering keeping our daughter (grade 1) out of school and using the HUB program instead. It seems inevitable that the schools will close very quickly, as there will be one kid who attends infected and spreads it to dozens of others before it is caught. At that point, everyone has to scramble to figure out how to work from home with their kids there.

Better the devil you know (and can plan for) than the devil you don't.

Thoughts?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, we signed up for the hub for our son (grade 5), but we also know that (a) We've got a lot of availability to support him, and (b) he's got a good aptitude for schoolwork where he can stay focused outside of the classroom (which he definitely didn't get from me).

Our biggest reason was basically what you said, we see a lot of value on being able to plan for how things go between here and February or beyond. There's a lot of uncertainty with what will happen in the classrooms, and how stressful it will be for the students.

For younger kids, including Grade 1, I think the social side of school is more important than in older, and there are things that may be important for a child that they may not get through online learning (depending on how it's implemented)... but I also think kids are pretty resilient and adaptable for the most part, and developing some of those social skills a year later isn't a big deal. Kids develop all those skills at different speeds anyway.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm am really struggling with this decision right now. We have a daughter going in to grade 1 this year and we are expecting our 3rd child at the end of September.

If it wasn't for this new born on the way I think we would be sending our oldest to school.

Right now though I just don't know what to do. Seems inevitable that schools will close and we have such a higher risk with a new born at home.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Yeah, we signed up for the hub for our son (grade 5), but we also know that (a) We've got a lot of availability to support him, and (b) he's got a good aptitude for schoolwork where he can stay focused outside of the classroom (which he definitely didn't get from me).

Our biggest reason was basically what you said, we see a lot of value on being able to plan for how things go between here and February or beyond. There's a lot of uncertainty with what will happen in the classrooms, and how stressful it will be for the students.

For younger kids, including Grade 1, I think the social side of school is more important than in older, and there are things that may be important for a child that they may not get through online learning (depending on how it's implemented)... but I also think kids are pretty resilient and adaptable for the most part, and developing some of those social skills a year later isn't a big deal. Kids develop all those skills at different speeds anyway.
Socializing is our biggest concern as well. She will still be going to her small dayhome every day, so I think that will more or less cover that off. We can do day-trips with cousins and stuff as well.

Wife and I just decided to do the HUB program, at least until February, when they are offering the option to switch back.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we have 6 yr old twin girls going into grade 1. this year we will put them in the same class (trying to lower our odds) and have them attend school. they are very aware of whats going on and are very diligent on face masks and sanitizing hands that we feel ok with the decision. outside of the socialization, the largest reason they will go back is because they are in french immersion. the online hub is english only. so if they go online, and merge back in february or rejoin school in grade 2... how behind in french will they be? too far in my opinion, so back to school is our current plan.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife is a sub in the CBE and she is legit scared to go back.

Seriously considering offering to tutor a pod of HUB students this year. Financially, probably not the best move, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk based on how the government is rolling things out.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't really matter IMO for several reasons:
- just like all existing flus, virus', colds, etc... this will eventually become endemic to society and will have annual hot spots. How much do we want to flatten the curve relative to destroying business' and society?

- more than enough statistics to indicate that the younger ones are generally least susceptible to landing in ICU or death. The issue is them being carriers... and infecting the vulnerable.
- quite likely the same scenario for returning to your place of work.

- If you have more than 1 kid it's also tough as their bubbles are different at school, join at home, and then go share with the world. Because of this I expect even those who do initially go back to school must basically plan for an on/off again school year.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
My wife is a sub in the CBE and she is legit scared to go back.

Seriously considering offering to tutor a pod of HUB students this year. Financially, probably not the best move, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk based on how the government is rolling things out.
If it makes her feel better, I would bet that schools will be closed by xmas anyways.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Doesn't really matter IMO for several reasons:
- just like all existing flus, virus', colds, etc... this will eventually become endemic to society and will have annual hot spots. How much do we want to flatten the curve relative to destroying business' and society?
what are you saying doesn't matter?

[QUOTE=RichieRich;7542413]- more than enough statistics to indicate that the younger ones are generally least susceptible to landing in ICU or death.

Quote:
The issue is them being carriers... and infecting the vulnerable.
I'm not sure what you were going for here. Yes, part of the problem is that they can infect others. They also might have risk factors themselves.

Quote:
- quite likely the same scenario for returning to your place of work.
This is a fairly common response to COVID. "If we can't fix it all at once, then why bother trying?" Doesn't make much sense to me though.

Every student not in the classroom, makes the entire classroom safer. I have the option to work from home and my kids have spots in dayhome they can continue to attend. It makes sense for us to keep them out of school. Not everyone is the same, but that's the beauty of free will.

Quote:
- If you have more than 1 kid it's also tough as their bubbles are different at school, join at home, and then go share with the world. Because of this I expect even those who do initially go back to school must basically plan for an on/off again school year.
totally agree with this.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know if this is the norm or not, but our school is placing siblings within the same cohort. They've also asked parents to volunteer known associations outside of school (i.e. go to the same dance studio) and will try and accommodate those into the cohorts as well. It's not perfect, but I thought the consideration was notable.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grades 4 and 5 for me with CCSD.

Not CBE but there just hasn’t been enough info about how the online Hub will function for the CCSD. If they committed to teachers having office hours during regular school hours between lessons I would consider it. Last year worked for a pinch but I am disappointed it doesn’t seem that they improved the model going forward.

My kids have dictated they are going back. It would be a war and likely destructive to their education not to send them. I’m happy they are so keen in going back to school.

As for the plan it appears to match Germany, Japan, Belgium, Australia. Both Australia and Germany have had schools that have had to close and schools that have stayed open. Early results seem to be that if community spread is low than school spread is low so Calgary right now is looking like its reasonable in its chance of success. I’m hopeful that the school boards seem well prepared to transition between phase 1,2 and 3 without too much disruption. I figure that getting 6 of 10 months in person this year is worth it. Depends on age too I would be more concerned about jr high and high school than elementary and middle.

Overall I don’t think there is a wrong decision to make. We don’t have sufficient information on the likelyhood of outbreaks by age groups in Calgary, the consequence of lost learning through online, the consequence of lost learning through transition from in person to online a few time’s over the course of the year, the increased risk of teen pregnancy or the long term affects of Covid on children.

So given the two choices of online and in person the error bars of expected outcome overlap. So I would say ask your kids what they want to do. You know how they will learn best. Evaluate how you will handle a school stoppage vs the additional work required online. Pick what works best for you logistically and then don’t worry that you made the wrong decision.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good analysis, without sufficient information (as you say) that's about as good as you can do.

Our specific situation (age, nature of kid, my ability to work from home, risk factors at home, etc) has me leaning towards the online. Worst case is it's only until February.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
we have 6 yr old twin girls going into grade 1. this year we will put them in the same class (trying to lower our odds) and have them attend school. they are very aware of whats going on and are very diligent on face masks and sanitizing hands that we feel ok with the decision. outside of the socialization, the largest reason they will go back is because they are in french immersion. the online hub is english only. so if they go online, and merge back in february or rejoin school in grade 2... how behind in french will they be? too far in my opinion, so back to school is our current plan.
Completely OT so apologizes but is your plan to eventually put them in separate classes? We did that with our twins in Grade 1 but moved them back to the same class and never looked back. They did much better together than if we split them up. Grade one was a challenge to say the least. Do whatever you feel is right, don't let the school tell you how they would prefer it (not saying that is an issue for you but we were pressured to split them)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm curious about those that depend on childcare as well. My inlaws are older and their son is sending his kids back to school, but he also heavily depends on his parents to look after his kids and take them to activities. They are now wondering if they can do that if the kids go back to school. They don't want covid, but the risks are going to be increased greatly for them.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I'm curious about those that depend on childcare as well. My inlaws are older and their son is sending his kids back to school, but he also heavily depends on his parents to look after his kids and take them to activities. They are now wondering if they can do that if the kids go back to school. They don't want covid, but the risks are going to be increased greatly for them.
Also on the topic of childcare and/or keeping kids home. Businesses are going to end up on the hook when their plans to return to work are derailed by all their employees who will suddenly claim they need to continue WFH because they are choosing to keep their kids home from school.

Interesting debate on this one. Business has been extremely flexible (they didn't have a choice) when the initial weave hit and everyone was sent home but how much longer are they going to be expected to accommodate employees whoa re not comfortable with the situation even if it may be safe (debatable I will admit).

Case in point - my sister in law. She is supposed to return to work next week but is 'not comfortable' doing so despite her employer making major adjustments to the workplace. Her daughter is also going back to school and she is 'not comfortable' sending her. At what point does an employer draw the line and say you are either coming back or you can move on but you cannot have it both ways.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Completely OT so apologizes but is your plan to eventually put them in separate classes? We did that with our twins in Grade 1 but moved them back to the same class and never looked back. They did much better together than if we split them up. Grade one was a challenge to say the least. Do whatever you feel is right, don't let the school tell you how they would prefer it (not saying that is an issue for you but we were pressured to split them)
We had them separated in kindergarten last year and had no issues. We do plan on going back to separated in grade 2 next year. We have dictated this process and the school has always been very accommodating thankfully.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote