Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #101
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Chargers have a ton of cap space too so I would expect they'll be the "Rams" of 2022 going all-in. But as we know now is the time, three more years of Herbert on a rookie deal.
You think they let him go to 5th year before trying to extend him? The way salaries are escalating I would rather lock him up a year early. The Mahomes deal is going to be a major bargain in four or five more years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #102
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh sure they'll extend him after this season for sure (the earliest they can), but that's where they can spread the cap hit across more seasons by having the poverty rookie cap hits to pump up. This is why I don't get the Washington or Indy approach, hoping you can scrap that bargain bin of talent when you don't even get a bargain price for those guys. Better off gambling on rookies until you hit one.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #103
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears gave up two firsts for him and I was told it was the biggest win ever...they won nothing and then traded him for a 2nd and 6th
Old 03-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also not sure how this makes the Bears better (Akiem Hicks is UFA as well) as their defense has been the only thing that has kept them competitive over the years. It does free up some cap space for free agency to change up the roster I guess.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #105
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raiders did nothing with the picks though either. Josh Jacobs is nice, but Damon Arnette was obviously a huge bust.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #106
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Bears gave up two firsts for him and I was told it was the biggest win ever...they won nothing and then traded him for a 2nd and 6th
To be fair all the Raiders have to show for the deal is Jacobs as the other 1st round pick was lit on fire with the Arnette pick.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:32 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jacobs is better than what Chicago has now
Old 03-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #108
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Raiders did nothing with the picks though either. Josh Jacobs is nice, but Damon Arnette was obviously a huge bust.
exactly
Old 03-10-2022, 11:22 PM   #109
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad. I loved Mack but it makes sense with the cap constraints and the need for draft capital. I still like the aggression of the Bears to make a deal when they thought they had a window to win.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:30 PM   #110
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Jacobs is better than what Chicago has now
Is he? Id arguebtheyre the same general class of running back.. very much comparable in their stats (3.9 YPC vs 4.2) with 2 full rounds seperating them in the same draft.

With the names they passed up on, theyd be in a better spot to pick Montgomery later and make a better pick that Jacobs in the first
Old 03-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #111
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Is he? Id arguebtheyre the same general class of running back.. very much comparable in their stats (3.9 YPC vs 4.2) with 2 full rounds seperating them in the same draft.

With the names they passed up on, theyd be in a better spot to pick Montgomery later and make a better pick that Jacobs in the first
Nah Jacobs is straight up better and would be a monster behind even a competent run blocking offensive line. His only issue is that he gets dinged up and the Raiders have had one of the worst run blocking offensive lines in the NFL for years. Look at the offensive line rankings. Everyone thinks the Bengals have a bad offensive line but the Raiders had by far the worst of all the playoff teams.

Quote:
Two different players allowed eight sacks individually, and only Miller earned a run-blocking grade better than 65.0. It’s remarkable that the Raiders made the postseason with this offensive line.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2...-line-rankings

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-11-2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:02 AM   #112
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Jacobs not being a bust is nice, but he isn't elite or particularly close, and wasting a first round pick on a RB is always, well, a waste. Look at some of the elite WRs who went in the second round of that draft. The Raiders did not do great with the pick in a value context, and Arnette was obviously a debacle. The Mack trade is a pretty clear lose-lose.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean Jacobs not being a bust is nice, but he isn't elite or particularly close, and wasting a first round pick on a RB is always, well, a waste. Look at some of the elite WRs who went in the second round of that draft. The Raiders did not do great with the pick in a value context, and Arnette was obviously a debacle. The Mack trade is a pretty clear lose-lose.
The Athletic disagrees with you as coincidentally they just released an article today grading the 2019 draft where the Raiders graded 1st.

2019 NFL Draft winners and losers: Kyler Murray the top producer; Raiders, Titans boast top return

Quote:
However, running back Josh Jacobs has posted solid value after being the first running back taken in the draft, amassing 3,087 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns in his first three seasons. Jacobs ranked 10th in AV among all running backs during the span.
https://theathletic.com/3154932/2022...st-top-return/

I'll take 28 TD's and a top 10 RB on my team any day for a bottom ten 1st round pick and like I said before he's accomplished this behind a terrible run blocking offensive line as Henry would see a massive decline in stats running behind that line.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #114
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah Jacobs is straight up better and would be a monster behind even a competent run blocking offensive line. His only issue is that he gets dinged up and the Raiders have had one of the worst run blocking offensive lines in the NFL for years. Look at the offensive line rankings. Everyone thinks the Bengals have a bad offensive line but the Raiders had by far the worst of all the playoff teams.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2...-line-rankings
Id agree Jacobs is better, but Monty at a 3rd rpund running back is a freat pick, Jacobs doing the same thing as a 1st round selection isnt. Dont overestimate uow bad Chicagos Oline has been either, the two backs are in very similar positions.

As well Danny Trevathan is going to be released (terrible resigning) so it appears Poles is dumping salary big time
Old 03-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #115
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daniel Jeremiah says the feeling around the league is that Watson to Seattle is a lock once the legal stuff is resolved.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Daniel Jeremiah says the feeling around the league is that Watson to Seattle is a lock once the legal stuff is resolved.
When's that going to be? You would think the Broncos would have traded for Watson if they thought he was going to be in the clear. At Carol's age how many years does he have to wait for Watson to be available?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #117
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Denver would probably not be in on Watson. With new ownership on the horizon I’d find it hard to believe they’d want to start their tenure and tie the organization to a (possibly exonerated) sexual predator. Rightly or wrongly that’s going to hang over him forever now and I can’t see a new owner wanting that as the face of their new franchise.

Much easier to stomach the squeaky clean image of Russell. All things being equal I’d think they’d have preferred Watson but who wouldn’t he’s a stud.

Hopefully Seattle gets a quality haul out of this trade, maybe they’re able to draft a big time first round RB and get great value.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #118
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Athletic disagrees with you as coincidentally they just released an article today grading the 2019 draft where the Raiders graded 1st.

2019 NFL Draft winners and losers: Kyler Murray the top producer; Raiders, Titans boast top return

I'll take 28 TD's and a top 10 RB on my team any day for a bottom ten 1st round pick and like I said before he's accomplished this behind a terrible run blocking offensive line as Henry would see a massive decline in stats running behind that line.
Cool, if recent history tells us anything it's that running backs are how you win in the NFL. Frankly a 5 year, $75 million extension for Jacobs seems like a wise move.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #119
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Jason Kelce.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1502057851736494080
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #120
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. He is a great running back and falls into that 2nd tier of players at his position. The point I was making is, so does Montgomery, and the point that Jacobs is better than what Chicago has right now is technically correct 10/10 times I would rather get Montgomery in the 3rd round and make a different pick in the 1st.

Agreed. He is a great running back and falls into that 2nd tier of players at his position. The point I was making is, so does Montgomery. Im not sure Chicago is in any better position with Jacobs at any point since that deal was made, but they were with Mack.
While its all hypotheticals both teams are better with Mack than what was taken with those picks. In my view the return for Mack is probably a pretty even swap in valuation but the Raiders lost the deal based on how they used those picks, could easily have been the other way as well if theyre scouting wasnt so dismal.

Quote:
Also not sure how this makes the Bears better (Akiem Hicks is UFA as well) as their defense has been the only thing that has kept them competitive over the years. It does free up some cap space for free agency to change up the roster I guess.
Doesnt appear that this next year is their win target. Cutting older players the Bears are looking to spend some big money next offseason from the looks of it.

Mack isnt replaceable but the rest of the guys are, or in Hicks' case, aboutbto be.

Last edited by DropIt; 03-11-2022 at 01:19 PM.