Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They tagged him.
After tagging him they are now $44.49 million over the cap. Once the Rodgers deal is finalized I'm sure that will bring things down but still a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #62
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Feels like a lot for a 33 year old QB.
It's all about the picks. Noah Fant is a decent pass-catcher, but blocks about as well as the average Calgary Pucker. Shelby Harris is a serviceable D-lineman, but replaceable. Drew Lock is... Drew Lock.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #63
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Restructures, extensions, cuts, they will have no issue getting under the cap. Re-signing Rodgers to let Adams walk would be pretty bizarre.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #64
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Wilson, I have been on the record here the last year or so, seeing this as the conclusion.

Too much mistrust between him and Carroll and Schnider to really have it continue. Wilson wants full control of the offense and did well with that when PC finally relented and gave him more control two seasons ago for 7 or 8 games. Teams then figured him out and Seahawks slumped and it was then blamed on Schottenheimer.

Last year they got a patsy OC and he played well, but not lights out.

When he starts publicly pining for players over the years such as Owens, or Antonio Brown, and even some players they did get like Graham, Harvin and Adrian Petersen, they didn't really pan out. Adams is the latest he pushed for and it's pretty clear he's overpaid.

PC and JS owe a lot to Wilson for sure. The Seahawks fully planned Matt Flynn to be the starter that year after getting him from GB, but he got hurt in preseason and it was Wilson from then on. He's a great quarter back, student of the game, and still at his age has all the skills for a few more years. He can, and should run a bit more, as well as also get rid of the ball a bit quicker, but no denying his talent or fitness even as he goes into his 30s.

Seattle should have b2b Superbowls in large part of him....however, they also had Superbowl calibre teams because he was still on a cheap contract for those.
PC and JS came in and took over a mess setting records for transactions on their first two years. They found and coached up players got them for cheap to start. Mixing in the right vets at the right times. Had an elite running back. But then having the cap space to build a defence and then offence over those preceding SB winyears was thanks to having cap space and a great player like Wilson. We he suddenly ate up $27MM more in cap space, things got less flexible for PC and JS to have the type of team they could build, in addition to guys like Sherman, Thomas,Chancellor and others wanting raises.

But Seattle hasn't been to the Conference Championship game since the Superbowl. Still decent teams but not there yet. Always whispers about Wilson not being liked in the room as much as every one thinks may or may not be true, and that's on every team. But the biggest thing is the cap space he takes up.

So, when he starts wanting to have more control over plays, the offense, and personell, and is stubborn behind the scenes, trust was eroded on both sides that they were foi for continue to butt heads and it was probably time to think about moving on, no matter how dismissive both sides were these last 2 years of the idea.

He will do very well in Denver for a number of years and he still has the physical tools and and smarts. But his need for control, and he may well be smarter then some coaches, can give off an odd vibe and rub traditional football people the wrong way.

As for the Seahawks, will be very interesting. Some guys will not like this, like Lockett and Metcalf. But PC and JS will have a lot of cap space and draft picks to do a quick rebuild and I think they will genuinely love the flexibility and out from under the cloud they were undwr with Wilson to make moves they want to without trying to appease him as well.

I would suspect Lock will not be the QB. Watson, Jordan Love, someone else?

But overall, I suspect Carroll has 3-4 years max left but having this opportunity to build this quickly from the ground up with full resources available will be invigorating and a welcome challenge to him and JS.

Last edited by browna; 03-08-2022 at 05:49 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #65
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
After tagging him they are now $44.49 million over the cap. Once the Rodgers deal is finalized I'm sure that will bring things down but still a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.
Yeah but Adams wont play under the tag amount or term anyhow.

All this does is buy time to work out a long term deal that will lower the cap hit.

None of this is really surprising after watching/reading stuff the last month or so.

But Rodgers being the diva he is, needed a bunch of attention and waited til the last minute to make things official.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #66
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's all about the picks. Noah Fant is a decent pass-catcher, but blocks about as well as the average Calgary Pucker. Shelby Harris is a serviceable D-lineman, but replaceable. Drew Lock is... Drew Lock.
This is where I don't get the overpay claims. This years picks are in what is widely viewed as a weak draft, especially at QB. And assuming the Broncos play to their expected form next years picks are gonna be in the mid 20s and mid 50s. Lock is a throw in, Fant could be a UFA by next year if the Seahawks don't pick up the fifth year option, Harris is decent but not a star. In a volume sense the Broncos gave up a lot, but they didn't really give up any high end assets, and came away with clearly the best player.

Feels like Russ has to seriously decline, or the Seahawks have to hit homeruns with their picks, for this to actually be an overpay. In our QB desperate world I'm guessing a lot of teams wish they could get a Russ for this cost.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #67
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seahawks have released Bobby Wagner. Ten years in the league, eight years all-pro.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 PM   #68
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Seahawks have released Bobby Wagner. Ten years in the league, eight years all-pro.
Yeah this one is a bigger surprise to me than Wilson.

An absolute rock there year after year after year. Probably the most underrated linebacker in the league, especially after the disaster of the high pick Aaron Curry. With the Legion of Boom taking care of the secondary, a strong athletic MLB was needed to stop the run and he more then delivered. Again, year after year.

Last edited by browna; 03-08-2022 at 07:58 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:27 PM   #69
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Yeah this one is a bigger surprise to me than Wilson.

An absolute rock there year after year after year. Probably the most underrated linebacker in the league, especially after the disaster of the high pick Aaron Curry. With the Legion of Boom taking care of the secondary, a strong athletic MLB was needed to stop the run and he more then delivered. Again, year after year.
Yep, all those things. First ballot HOF. Probably better than Keuchly and more durable. This actually saddens me more than Russ.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:56 AM   #70
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But Rodgers being the diva he is, needed a bunch of attention and waited til the last minute to make things official.
which makes it so funny that he had the attention for about an hour before the Wilson trade broke and stole the headlines lol.

surprised the Seahawks flat out released Wagner. Even with his current contract, I expected a team to flip a pick for him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:57 AM   #71
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Releasing him feels like one of those "do right by the guy" moves where he can now pick his next team. Which, while admirable, is mismanagement because even a fourth rounder is pretty valuable to a rebuilding team.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:05 AM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me if he was upset about his big news day being upstaged by the Wilson trade.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #73
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Releasing him feels like one of those "do right by the guy" moves where he can now pick his next team. Which, while admirable, is mismanagement because even a fourth rounder is pretty valuable to a rebuilding team.
Don't think anyone was trading for a 20 million cap hit
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #74
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

you could always extend him and lower the cap hit that way. Not like he'll come cheaply as UFA either, he's still an outstanding MLB.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #75
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Of course they are

Quote:
As the quarterback carousel spins, the New York Giants are expected to make a run at free agent Mitchell Trubisky when the negotiating window opens next week, sources told ESPN.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #76
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Don't think anyone was trading for a 20 million cap hit
Devo said it better than me, but yeah he's not some scrub, he will get big money in UFA. Seahawks are entering Tankapalooza, they could also eat some of the cap hit to facilitate a trade since they need assets for the rebuild and are intending to suck anyway. But I think they wanted to do him a solid and not conscript him to the Jags or some bad team who might offer better picks. But bad asset mismanagement is a large part of why the Seahawks are even here. I tend to think Russ would still be a Seahawk if they didn't destroy themselves with the Adams trade.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course they are
What could go wrong? Look how the Wentz reclamation project went.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #78
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Giants need to out suck the Seahawks for the top pick in next years draft. So if you want to downgrade from Drew Lock...Trubisky is worth a look.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #79
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The Giants need to out suck the Seahawks for the top pick in next years draft. So if you want to downgrade from Drew Lock...Trubisky is worth a look.
The NFL is a strange business as no team was interested in offering Trubisky a starting job and he ended up settling in as a backup on a team with an uncontested starting QB. A year later there are whispers that up to five teams are interested in Trubisky. Do GM's really think he got magically better after holding a clipboard for a year? Maybe if he spent a year being coached by a QB whisperer like Reid or Payton but the Bills aren't exactly a QB factory. I'm sure some GM's may think that it was Naggy's fault and they can get more out of him but PFF begs to differ.

Quote:
Trubisky ranked third-to-last in passing grade across his four seasons starting for the Chicago Bears. No downfield passing, poor decision-making and inaccurate throws plagued Chicago's offense with the 2017 No. 2 overall pick. It has been rumored that many quarterback-needy teams are interested in Trubisky's services anyway, blaming some of the struggles on Matt Nagy. There's enough data to show that the woes are a Trubisky problem.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-ag...-randy-gregory
Old 03-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #80
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Giants HC was the Bills OC. He must have saw something.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post: