Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #221
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There's also the inherent problem in trading picks for players: in the long term you're going to get players that are as good as the pick is worth on average, while half the teams in the league will inevitably draft better than average.

If you have a below average team to begin with, it's easy to improve to an average team by trading picks, but every draft pick you don't make will also make it that much more likely that you will never catch up to teams that drafted better than average or were better to begin with.

And that's exactly where we are now: A below average team making trades to become an average team, so we can squeeze into the playoffs and then hope Darryl Sutter is magic.

(I don't mind this particular trade though.)
Way too simplistic of a view - and molded to fit a narrative.

3rd and 4th round picks produce a player in 4 or 5 years (if at all). It is almost impossible to predict where any franchise will be in 4 or 5 years. It s also impossible to predict how many draft picks they will acquire or trade away over that time.

In this case, the Flames traded a 3rd round pick next year (potential player in 2025 or 2026) for a 3rd round pick in 2015 who is on the verge of becoming an NHLer this year.

Trying to paint a negative slant on that is a pure exercise in blind bias.

Was trading a pick for Kipper part of the constant cycle of the Flames trying to become mediocre?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #222
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Aren't you describing every GM?

You expend picks when you are competing, and acquire picks when you are falling.

The issue is the judgement of when you should go all in, and as I've said about 2 dozen times, he was wrong to bet on Gaudreau and Monahan as 2/3 of a top line.

A fairly strong majority of people on this site seemed to feel the same way at the time however.
You’re not going to get much of a response from many, but the bolded...herein lies the Flames biggest issue.

Johnny and Mony are not good enough to outperform and /or outcompete other contenders’ best players.

Yep, the truth hurts.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #223
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You expend picks when you are competing, and acquire picks when you are falling.

The issue is the judgement of when you should go all in, and as I've said about 2 dozen times, he was wrong to bet on Gaudreau and Monahan as 2/3 of a top line.

A fairly strong majority of people on this site seemed to feel the same way at the time however.
I don't see quite that way. It's not all in or all out. Every off season you see competitive teams move out players for picks as part of their broader strategy.

This off season so far Boston, Washington, Florida, Carolina, Columbus, NYR, Dallas, Colorado have all made trades where players went out and picks came back. Last off season, Vegas, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, St. louis, Toronto were those teams.

Trading players for picks doesn't have to mean you're giving up. It's an arrow in your quiver for managing your assets and accumulating wealth.

It seems the Flames are always chasing so they feel they can't afford to lose anything form their roster.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #224
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
You’re not going to get much of a response from many, but the bolded...herein lies the Flames biggest issue.

Johnny and Mony are not good enough to outperform and /or outcompete other contenders’ best players.

Yep, the truth hurts.
It is true, especially because they aren't good enough defensively to match up against other top lines (which inevitably happens) and they aren't dominant enough so that it doesn't matter because they hem the other team in so much. Especially if Lindholm is not the RW. Aside from up north, I can't think of a team who's main offensive line is like that. Maybe Montreal, and TB exposed that by putting Point against Suzuki as much as possible.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't see quite that way. It's not all in or all out. Every off season you see competitive teams move out players for picks as part of their broader strategy.

This off season so far Boston, Washington, Florida, Carolina, Columbus, NYR, Dallas, Colorado have all made trades where players went out and picks came back. Last off season, Vegas, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, St. louis, Toronto were those teams.

Trading players for picks doesn't have to mean you're giving up. It's an arrow in your quiver for managing your assets and accumulating wealth.

It seems the Flames are always chasing so they feel they can't afford to lose anything form their roster.
Yet this year they traded 2 players for picks, at a time when they clearly felt they were chasing down a PO spot.

BTW - Florida has not acquired picks this off season. They traded a first and Levi for Reinart and traded a '22 2nd for a '23 7th as part of the Stralman cap dump.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #226
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a trade that has potential to be quite astute. I hope this turns into one of those small moves that turns into something big down the line.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #227
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It is true, especially because they aren't good enough defensively to match up against other top lines (which inevitably happens) and they aren't dominant enough so that it doesn't matter because they hem the other team in so much. Especially if Lindholm is not the RW. Aside from up north, I can't think of a team who's main offensive line is like that. Maybe Montreal, and TB exposed that by putting Point against Suzuki as much as possible.
Wait, so when Gaudreau and an injured Monahan are paired with a bottom 6 RW they can’t compete against other teams’ top lines? Shocking!

Lindholm is the only top 6 RW that line has had in the past 3 years, and when he was on that line, the 2nd line was a mess.

The problem with the Gaudreau/Monahan duo (aside from many injuries) is that with the RWs they have been paired with, especially last season, they may as well have been playing short handed with the lack of contribution from their RW. How many top lines dominate the opposition’s top line while playing short handed?

Back on topic, though, I think we have something in Vladar, I just hope he’s NHL ready, because if not, we will have to trade him or lose him on waivers.

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-29-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #228
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand people being pissed about bleeding mid-round picks for the Fantenbergs and Forborts of the hockey world ... short-term depth players that really don't move the needle at all. I hate that too. But this is the sort of move I can get behind ... Vladar could potentially be a long-term piece for us. Will be interesting to see if he can take that step from the AHL to regular NHL backup duty. Let's hope we've got a good one here.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #229
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Wait, so when Gaudreau and an injured Monahan are paired with a bottom 6 RW they can’t compete against other teams’ top lines? Shocking!

Lindholm is the only top 6 RW that line has had in the past 3 years, and when he was on that line, the 2nd line was a mess.

The problem with the Gaudreau/Monahan duo (aside from many injuries) is that with the RWs they have been paired with, especially last season, they may as well have been playing short handed with the lack of contribution from their RW. How many top lines dominate the opposition’s top line while playing short handed?
They were exposed even with Lindholm, after a while. I think the bubble year showed that. I don't think they could really compete with a Ferland or a Hudler. They'd obviously do better, but IMO they wouldn't be good enough to face a top line head to head.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #230
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet this year they traded 2 players for picks, at a time when they clearly felt they were chasing down a PO spot.

BTW - Florida has not acquired picks this off season. They traded a first and Levi for Reinart and traded a '22 2nd for a '23 7th as part of the Stralman cap dump.
Flames were sellers and on the outside looking in. Sorry but I'm not giving credit to an organization for being out of a playoff spot. It's basic operating procedure to sell in that scenario.

You are 100% right on Florida, that is my mistake. I don't really feel like that changes my view and they did sell a player for a pick last off season.

In eight off seasons thus far, how many times has Treliving traded for draft capital? Reinhart and McCollum were traded for conditional picks, neither of which materialized. That is eight off seasons of being all in. IMO that's not really the way to do it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #231
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
This is a trade that has potential to be quite astute. I hope this turns into one of those small moves that turns into something big down the line.
Fear of the unknown.

Not everyone keeps tabs on third string goalies around the league (or ones from overseas).

The Flames have been following (and assumably targeting) this particular player for quite some time now. That's why there's pro scouts, who are every bit as diligent as the amateur scouts.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #232
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were exposed even with Lindholm, after a while. I think the bubble year showed that. I don't think they could really compete with a Ferland or a Hudler. They'd obviously do better, but IMO they wouldn't be good enough to face a top line head to head.
I think Gaudreau is good enough, but Monahan is not because he doesn't bring a lot of the playdriving elements need from a center. Lumping them together is a false premise.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #233
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I think Gaudreau is good enough, but Monahan is not because he doesn't bring a lot of the playdriving elements need from a center. Lumping them together is a false premise.
Well, if you pair either one with 2 elite players, yes, they could excel. But both need 2 excellent players IMO. They both have big holes in their game such that they aren’t “the man”.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #234
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, if you pair either one with 2 elite players, yes, they could excel. But both need 2 excellent players IMO. They both have big holes in their game such that they aren’t “the man”.
I just don't get your point, though. You need multiple elite players to win. I don't think Ovechkin or Kucherov or Kane are doing much stapled to Monahan either.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #235
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Mods please grant this poster a new username... with a randomly capitalized letter.
Me too! Pick me a new name! Especially after wading through this star wars heavy thread. I want nothing to do with it anymore. I came in hoping for highlight reels. Instead darth vader gifs.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #236
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

In my mind Treliving envisioned his future core to be from goalie out (from 2015 onwards):

Gillies Hamilton Gio Brodie Backlund Bennett Monahan and Gaudreau
The team won a series in 14-15 where Bennett looked very much on track to become the 1C. Then he traded picks to add Hamilton (same age group and perhaps the player to build around).

I think CGY has wanted to win a cup in the Gio window and that's what drove the decisions of when to go for it. I could be wrong but that's my first blush at it.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #237
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Way too simplistic of a view - and molded to fit a narrative.

3rd and 4th round picks produce a player in 4 or 5 years (if at all). It is almost impossible to predict where any franchise will be in 4 or 5 years. It s also impossible to predict how many draft picks they will acquire or trade away over that time.

In this case, the Flames traded a 3rd round pick next year (potential player in 2025 or 2026) for a 3rd round pick in 2015 who is on the verge of becoming an NHLer this year.

Trying to paint a negative slant on that is a pure exercise in blind bias.

Was trading a pick for Kipper part of the constant cycle of the Flames trying to become mediocre?
Obviously sometimes you win a trade, but I would claim it's fairly obvious that your chances of getting more than you paid for keep dropping the more years a prospect/player has.

You get more of a sure thing that's closer to ready, but you pay for that by missing out on the chance of getting someone much better.

Not necessarily for goalies, they're pretty much just voodoo, so sometimes you do get a Kipper, but other than that you typically just get what you pay for. That's why we have rebuilds. Building through the draft is high risk high reward game which fails for most teams. Building through trades is more of a low risk low reward game.

Obviously in real life you have to do a bit of both.

Last edited by Itse; 07-29-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #238
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420912007037947905
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #239
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question, did his girlfriend already have the Flames shirt, or are they that easy to buy in Prague?

Either way, awesome.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #240
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember his draft year and hoping we would draft him because he has a cool name. Better late than never.