Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #181
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Hahaha! What?
Quit looking at it like Bennett is still a high end prospect. It's his third year in the league, he should be producing at a high level this season. As a forward he's a seasoned pro by today's standards!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #182
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

maybe i have rose coloured glasses on but i really think people need to temper their expectations. not everyone can come in and be an instant difference maker. the flames have been lucky in having a few years where rookies came in and lit the world on fire (monahan, gaudreau and tkachuk), but not everyones development curve is the same

i'm satisfied with what i see so far in a 21 year old player who needed to adjust his game for the pro level. he wasn't going to go end to end and bury 30 wraparounds against nhl calibre defensemen
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #183
Franchise Player

Exp:

Janko will play a significant number of games in Calgary this year. People need to chill. Flames aren't stupid, they want him ready and contributing for any playoff run. They are evaluating right now the current NHL roster and waiting for a good trade opportunity.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #184
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Quit looking at it like Bennett is still a high end prospect. It's his third year in the league, he should be producing at a high level this season. As a forward he's a seasoned pro by today's standards!
Hope you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't....

In today's NHL all that's different is the age where players reach their peak performance. It can be argued at what age players peak, but it is not 21.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #185
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've posted this in a bunch of threads already but it's mind boggling the Flames won't try Bennett on the wing and Janko at the 3C spot. Lineup would look like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland/Versteeg - Janko - Jagr
Ferland/Versteeg - Stajan - whoever

Tkachuk played RW in junior with 2 players who are very similar to Gaudreau/Monahan in Marner/Dvorak. This combo potentially gives us a lethal 1st line and is an upgrade on current. Ferland/Lazar/Jagr are not 1st liners, Tkachuk definitely could be one.

Bennett on the wing with Backlund and Frolik could allow for Bennett's offensive game to take off. Not much if any dropoff from the current 3M line.

Janko with Jagr and either Ferland or Versteeg can be an awesome 3rd line with good size and could create havoc with the cycle game.

4th line also upgraded with 1 of Ferland or Versteeg down there.

Basically 3 of our 4 forward lines are upgraded as a result of this move and i don't see much if any dropoff on the other line.

I've seen other posters keep the 3M line intact and move Bennett to the 1st line but IMO Tkachuk is better suited playing the right side than Bennett.

To me this is a no brainer to at least try out but i'm not holding out any hope that Gulutzan and staff will see the light.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to home_sweet_dome For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #186
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not usually one to truly think that the fans may know better than the team, but this is one of those cases where it's just becoming logical to see..

I just don't see the downside, whereas I see plenty of upside to doing it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #187
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm not usually one to truly think that the fans may know better than the team, but this is one of those cases where it's just becoming logical to see..

I just don't see the downside, whereas I see plenty of upside to doing it.
Guaranteed the Flames see it too, but what's the rush?

- Team is winning;
- No point just giving an asset away (Stajan, Brouwer, whoever);
- Injuries can happen anytime, then you will need the depth;
- Janko won't be hurt playing prime minutes in Stockton.

Treliving isn't stupid, they know what they have in Janko. At the end of last season, Treliving said he wanted to get bigger skill. Well, he added Jagr and he's going to add Janko. Janko is going to be a big part of this team THIS year and in the playoffs.

I really think they are evaluating Bennett at centre right now. They will give him 20 to 25 games and if he still doesn't produce, they will pull the plug on him as a centre and move him to the wing and bring Janko up to replace him at centre.

There is also another thing to consider, and that is what to do with Backlund moving forward. If Bennett can't cut it at centre, then a Backlund extension becomes much more pressing. If Bennett excels at centre and the Flames have Janko ready, then maybe you don't extend Backlund as there are only so many dollars within the cap, or at the very least, this dictates how hard Treliving will negotiate with Backlunds' agent. If Bennett excels at centre, Treliving has more leverage in negotiations with Backlund.

Last edited by 868904; 10-16-2017 at 12:02 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #188
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't hurt the Flames at all. This guy is not a top nine center in the NHL and it doesn't look like he ever will be. His undisciplined play combined with complete inability to generate offense at the position should be evidence enough. I'd rather the Flames have Bennett skating on the wing where there is less pressure on him, which also opens a spot for a guy like Jankoswki to get in a test the waters. This would potentially be a win win as both players may evolve into much more than they currently are.

As it stands now, Bennett might not even be in the league this time next year unless his game drastically turns around.
Well that is an example of exactly what Jay Random was pointing out. What a craptacular take.

Never will be a top 9 centre?
Out of the league next year?

That is some cringe worthy stuff. So far from reality it's baffling.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #189
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sam Bennett as a center or winger?

Bennett is showing he can win important faceoffs, which at his age is an impressive feat.

The team is 4-2-0, with no reason to panic to make a move.

The 3rd line has not been a bad line this year, and as a whole the team is still “figuring it out”. If Jankowski comes up, have him take Stajan’s spot. All 4 lines play nearly identical minues 5v5, so minutes played isn’t a real issue and the quality of wingers (or really, lack there of) on the 4th and 3rd lines is pretty much on par with each other.

So why move Bennett to the wing when his defensive game is coming along? People just need something to complain about?

There is no benefit to moving Bennett to the wing at this stage. Let him continue to develop, play him on the wing on the PP - and get Jankowski up and playing on the “4th” line.

People need to get over what they think the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th line roles are - because Gully treats the lines equally in 5v5 play.

Those saying Bennett isn’t an NHL talent are displaying a level of lunacy not seen since...since...well since those same people tried to lambast Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Monahan out of the lineup last fall.

Seriously - it’s lunacy at this stage to be this negative of Bennett. Just as it was when people turned on all our young players last fall. Take a chill pill, relax, try and learn from the lunacy you displayed last year.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-16-2017 at 12:17 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #190
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bennett is showing he can win important faceoffs, which at his age is an impressive feat.

The team is 4-2-0, with no reason to panic to make a move.

The 3rd line has not been a bad line this year, and as a whole the team is still “figuring it out”. If Jankowski comes up, have him take Stajan’s spot. All 4 lines play nearly identical minues 5v5, so minutes played isn’t a real issue and the quality of wingers (or really, lack there of) on the 4th and 3rd lines is pretty much on par with each other.

So why move Bennett to the wing when his defensive game is coming along? People just need something to complain about?

There is no benefit to moving Bennett to the wing at this stage. Let him continue to develop, play him on the wing on the PP - and get Jankowski up and playing on the “4th” line.

People need to get over what they think the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th line roles are - because Gully treats the lines equally in 5v5 play.
Lazar/Ferland-Jankowski-Brouwer is a line that could produce. Decent size, speed and skill. Out of Lazar, Ferland, Glass, Jagr, Brouwer, Jankowski and Versteeg, the last guy might be the odd man out this year when the dust settles. His style doesn't really match Bennett or Jagr's IMO and he's not a bottom line guy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #191
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always thought of Bennett as more of a winger because he likes attacking from width and is such a tenacious forechecker.

With regard to his forechecking, he often chases other teams' defencemen behind their goal line in pursuit, relative to other centres, causing one of his wingers to have to play third man high in the offensive zone. Of course, when the other team successfully transitions to the neutral zone and then offensive zone, that results in said winger having to deploy as F1 in initial coverage. On the cycle, the main goal of the offence is to force switches and by Bennett having to switch with a winger later in coverage, they are doing the offense's job for them. Now, that is fine if you have good defensive wingers, but part of the issues Bennett's line had last year is neither of his most common wingers are particularly good defenders nor are they good outlets for clean breakouts through the middle.

For those reasons I have been hoping we'll see Bennett and Jankowski on the same line. That way, like the Sharks with Thornton and Pavelski, the two of them can competently swap roles on the fly when the situation calls for it. Bennett can remain at centre ice as a default, while Jankowski can adequately cover for Bennett as third man high and F1 when Bennett is relentlessly forechecking deep in the other team's zone. Or, maybe you deploy Jankowski at centre and let Bennett loose as a high-tempo two-way winger.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #192
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Okay? I don't see how that amounts to being a season short of landing outside of the NHL. Even in light of how marginal Bennett's performance has been in the early going this season your assertion is patently ridiculous. Even if Bennett somehow tops out as a 15+15 producer he would likely still end up playing +10 years in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-16-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #193
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

My only gripe with Bennett dating back to last year is his penchant for offensive zone penalties. Once he gets those under control we should see him start to produce.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #194
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay? I don't see how that amounts to being a season short of landing outside of the NHL. Even in light of how marginal Bennett's performance has been in the early going this season your assertion is patently ridiculous. Even if Bennett somehow tops out as a 15+15 producer he would likely still end up playing +10 years in the NHL.
Patrik Stefan played 7 seasons in the NHL. I'm pretty sure Bennett will do as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #195
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do agree that its quite likely that Flames are giving Bennett a certain number of games at center before deciding if Jankowski should come up and Bennett gets moved to the wing. If Bennett progresses at center, then Jankowski comes up and Stajan moves to the wing or press box.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #196
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Patrik Stefan played 7 seasons in the NHL. I'm pretty sure Bennett will do as well.
Hell even Blair Betts played 9 seasons.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #197
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The sentiment goes from "he has more potential than Monahan" to "we're ok if he turns out to be a career 3rd liner", I'd be downright pissed if Bennett busted

Treliving goofed if he ended up picking a 15+15 producer with the organizations highest ever draft pick.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #198
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
The sentiment goes from "he has more potential than Monahan" to "we're ok if he turns out to be a career 3rd liner", I'd be downright pissed if Bennett busted

Treliving goofed if he ended up picking a 15+15 producer with the organizations highest ever draft pick.
Well, sure, but that wasn't the take that's being challenged.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #199
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post

Oh, please. NO ONE has suggested that they would be satisfied with that sort of a return from Sam Bennett. I don't see how anyone can misconstrue the point of my post, which was to demonstrate how utterly preposterous it was for Hot_Flatus to offer the mind-boggling assertion that Bennett is dangerously close to seeing an end to his NHL career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #200
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can argue until blue in the face...

But Bennett is getting to be less and less meaningful out there.

His ice time is trending down as well... which tells me the coach see's the same thing.

The whole C/W argument bugs me because he's a natural C and that's how he got all of his points before. Now we have to move him to W to succeed? It doesn't make any sense.

If you aren't concerned about Bennett by now I think you're drinking koolaid. Just saying...

The only thing I would suggest in all of this is the mis-handling by the Flames. He obviously needs some motivation to get his mojo back, playing him bottom-six with little ice time is not going to help him history shows. Find a way W or C to get him top 6 minutes already - get his head back.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Doom For This Useful Post: