Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Any current/former workers from Telus Mobility?

My girlfriend went looking into paying out her old contract to get a new phone today with telus. She went to a telus dealership and everything was going smooth but then they told her that there was a note on her file and if she wanted a new phone she would have to buy out her old contract plus pay full price for a new phone even if she signs a new contract. Now she had gotten in an argument with a representative in the past because of being charged for texts when she had an unlimited plan. She also fell behind a month in paying her bill but has been on time for the past year. I'm thinking its time to switch carriers but would just like to know if anyone has any insight into this?

Last edited by JohnnyNipshank; 10-02-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Im a dummy
JohnnyNipshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many months do you have left on the contract? Was it on a 3 year contract originally? You'll likely have to call into Telus' Loyalty department and attempt to negotiate down the cost of buying out the rest of the contract.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

She only has 3 months left but they said even if we did buy it out she isn't given the option of signing a new contract and would have to go month to month.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's not even a punishment; contracts are ripoffs. She should let her contract wind down and pick up an unlocked phone (since it sounds like she needs a new one). When she goes month-to-month she can choose whomever gives her the best deal.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNipshank View Post
She only has 3 months left but they said even if we did buy it out she isn't given the option of signing a new contract and would have to go month to month.
Assuming it was a 3 year contract or even 2 years, it's strange that she's not eligible for a regular upgrade without extra charge.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either she misunderstood or she must have done something serious to screw them over (in Telus' eyes), because what you are saying is insane. Sounds like they are trying hard NOT to have her business, because the ONLY point to signing a contract is to get a subsidized phone.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Either she misunderstood or she must have done something serious to screw them over (in Telus' eyes), because what you are saying is insane. Sounds like they are trying hard NOT to have her business, because the ONLY point to signing a contract is to get a subsidized phone.
That's exactly what i said, she must have said the wrong thing to the wrong person because why would they not want to guarantee another 2 years of her business. It is even to the point that if her payment has been processed 2 days after the due date (even though it was made on the due date) they will cut off her service.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's nuts.

When I was a student, not too long ago, I would juggle bills and be late on payments like this quite a bit, and I never had them mad enough to do this.

Whatever it was that she did (or they think she did) to screw them over must be pretty severe, so I would just cut bait and go with another provider. Wind has $30 a month plans with unlimited data/talk/text. If she would like to buy a a phone outright and is low on funds, they have options that are $129 to buy outright (and not a terrible phone either, TBQH).

Last edited by Rathji; 10-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

She must be flagged as a Credit Limit Client. Could be a mistake on the account or due to frequent late/missed payments.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could she have an older number from someone that had credit/payment issues? Maybe Telus gave her a number from a deadbeat customer in the past and that issue is still linked to her account by mistake?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Although I have never worked for Telus I have been around to pretty much all the other ones. Either she is lying about how many times she has missed payment or there is something funky going on with her account. Missing just one payment won't put you into Telus' bad side. I have a feeling she had iffy credit to begin with and had missed or late payments here and there.

Source: worked in the industry for 6+ years
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote