Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Shaw 24 month service agreements

Forgive me for starting another shaw thread, but was hoping to get some feedback soon, so I can make my decision today-

So I called up Shaw to order the gateway system for our 2 Tvs- with the plan of just paying the full price of $490 for the gateway, and they mentioned they now have 24-month service agreements, which allow you rent the gateway for $10 a month. The 24-month agreement stipulates that you must maintain a tv and internet plan for those 24 months, the cheapest package being just over $100 I believe. Buyout is basically $30 a month X the remainder of months. For what it is worth, I am currently on the large bundle, which is around 170/month with phone plan as well.

I am curious to hear feedback from others that have signed on for 24 months as there doesn't really seem to be any added benefit? There is no rate guarantee or reduced bundle rates. They mention that you will get the hardware upgrade for free if something new is released in the next 24 months, but does anyone honestly think the next gateway generation (with Arris) will be coming out anytime soon? Saving the small difference on the gateway itself isn't really that great of an incentive.

Anyway, I think I will just buy the gateway, but curious to hear from others on their experience with the 24-month contracts. Is this just the same old lease vs. purchase decision??

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 09-27-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So you sign up for 2 years and you still have to pay to rent the gateway? Where do I sign up?

Doesn't this plan go through a 3rd party credit company also? Shaw easy pay?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Shaw Easy Own, which seems like a totally different thing than these, is a financed (pretty much at 0%) purchase.

This seems like something else entirely, and I have never heard of it, but if the plans cost the same and you pay $10 a month for the Gateway (and I assume 1 portal), then it is certainly cheaper than doing the Easy Own, but not by a large amount. I think I pay $17 a month on my Easy Own.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

They created this policy in response to their old "rental" agreements, which basically saw them renting a unit for something like $5 a month, having people cancel and never getting the unit back.

Makes sense really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'd challenge that with whomever you spoke to. Shaw's big yap and yammer advertising has always been that they are a no-contract company. This sounds weird. And the Easy Own program is through a third party, or so we were told when we inquired about it. We just decided to buy outright. We need to upgrade to that newer cable box so we can see all the channels we get/pay for, that we aren't seeing right now.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody know if Shaw is coming up with wireless boxes like Telus. I have a TV on my kitchen wall that I don't want to/can't easily fish wire to and don't want the HD box sitting on my countertop. These wireless telus boxes seem like an ideal solution, but I'd rather stay with Shaw since that's where all my hardware is at and I like the no contract and think their internet is better.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I think I'd challenge that with whomever you spoke to. Shaw's big yap and yammer advertising has always been that they are a no-contract company. This sounds weird. And the Easy Own program is through a third party, or so we were told when we inquired about it. We just decided to buy outright. We need to upgrade to that newer cable box so we can see all the channels we get/pay for, that we aren't seeing right now.
Well, the 24 month agreement isn't mandatory or anything- I can still stay month to month and either buy the gateway outright, rent it without a contract at $25/month, or do an easy own for $14/month.

Crazy that the easy own is essentially interest free.

My biggest problem with the contract is you lose all your bargaining power. If you are on the contract, you can't exactly threaten to cancel your plan if they don't give you a better rate.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 09-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^ This.

It is a slight convenience to have the hardware offered at zero percent financing. However when I've tried bargaining with them over the past few months there isn't much that I've found that will be of benefit.

Where they got me was that I was apparently grandfathered with a good deal with the '50' internet and if I had removed or added any other tv feature, it would essentially net to zero savings with the current pricing programs.

I was not aware of a third party providing the Easy Own financing however they charge me my monthly fee via credit card outside of our regular bill. CSR stated that it was in fear of people stealing the hardware if they didn't do it this way.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote