Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:
Default Recommendations for a new company smart phone for work?

Basically I can chose whichever brand/model I want and they'll order it.

So many changes with these phones year to year so I really don't have a clue which is the best out there.

Will use the phone lots for receiving and sending e-mails, pics, pdf files, zip files, etc. when not in the office.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Just what we need, another mobile phone debate thread.

I think you'll find any of the latest phones will do what you need it to. I would suggest going to a Rogers/Telus/Bell store and give the phones a try. You won't know what operating system you like until you give it a try. You'll also get a better idea of the size of phone you're comfortable with. Put it in your pocket...
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

So many changes with these phones year to year so I really don't have a clue which is the best out there.

Will use the phone lots for receiving and sending e-mails, pics, pdf files, zip files, etc. when not in the office.
Just my opinion, but...

I think a good rule of thumb is if you're over 45, iPhone is a good choice. 44 and under you'll probably be happier with Android.

The reason is iPhones are simple, but boring and under qualified if you like tailoring your user experience to your own needs. I find the 45+ crowd appreciates the simplicity of the software design and likes working within the safe confines of iOS.

Android is more flexible and visually appealing if you don't mind spending an extra hour setting up the phone you'll be using for the next couple of years. There are also more phones to choose from and they typically offer more options than you'll find with Apple.

Good luck and let us know what you go with!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

Just what we need, another mobile phone debate thread.

I think you'll find any of the latest phones will do what you need it to. I would suggest going to a Rogers/Telus/Bell store and give the phones a try. You won't know what operating system you like until you give it a try. You'll also get a better idea of the size of phone you're comfortable with. Put it in your pocket...

Hey Rerun, is that a new phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

I just ordered an Iphone 5 through work. 6 years of blackberry. Really only got it for a change, nothing more, nothing less.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To look at the other side of the picture.

Android devices are terrible at backwards and forwards compatibility. Do not be surprised if within a couple of years your device is not supported by whatever sweet treat named major OS release they come out with (the next one is Kit Kat I believe?). Additionally, do not be surprised if some app you use regularly that is no longer being supported by the dev, will not work on OS upgrade or upgrading to new device.

It is the give and take of the open approach of Android vs the closed approach of Apple. The latter does happen for Apple, but not nearly as often.

Android is also rife with security problems which preclude it from being a platform of choice for most enterprise. The closed nature of Apple, in many ways protects that from happening. (i.e. Androids have been known to be compromised by releasing fake versions of apps which turn out to be trojan horses - this will likely never happen with the oversight of the Apple App store).

In fact, the only company on Android actively doing anything in this space is Samsung in terms of putting in place the tools for enterprise device management. They are still behind what Apple has and miles behind what RIM has/had. Not saying they won't get there, they just aren't there today.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't own one but my buddy raves about how well Windows phone integrates with his MS Office programs.

Seems like a no brainer if you're looking for full Outlook functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Android devices are terrible at backwards and forwards compatibility. Do not be surprised if within a couple of years your device is not supported by whatever sweet treat named major OS release they come out with (the next one is Kit Kat I believe?). Additionally, do not be surprised if some app you use regularly that is no longer being supported by the dev, will not work on OS upgrade or upgrading to new device.
If he doesn't already have an opinion on which smartphone to buy, chances are he will never know/notice what release of Android he's on. Google is circumventing fragmentation by separating new features from the OS upgrades, allowing them to be installed on older version phones. Very few apps have compatibility issues with anything but the oldest versions of Android, and I'd challenge you to find a typical user who could even tell you what flavor of dessert he's got on his phone.
Quote:
Android is also rife with security problems which preclude it from being a platform of choice for most enterprise. The closed nature of Apple, in many ways protects that from happening. (i.e. Androids have been known to be compromised by releasing fake versions of apps which turn out to be trojan horses - this will likely never happen with the oversight of the Apple App store).
To call Android "rife with security problems" is unbelievably false. The vast majority of the virus/trojan issues that the media loves to scare people with are overseas, and an even greater percentage (nearly all of them) are from sideloaded apps from outside the Play Store. The average Joe is not going to download a virus while trying to get Angry Birds. Its the guy trying to pirate it by sideloading an .apk file from some Russian Warez site that's in trouble.

I'd agree with previous posters saying to hit a store and check out the options. They all have their pros and cons. If the company is paying, don't skimp and go with a low end one. Certainly don't worry about Android being some dangerous wild west of smartphones where anything goes. That's a gross mischaracterization of how mature the platform is at this point.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

No votes for a BB10 device? Hub is great, just wish it was on Android as well.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I don't own one but my buddy raves about how well Windows phone integrates with his MS Office programs.

Seems like a no brainer if you're looking for full Outlook functionality.
it's true! please choose this. we're so...lonely...
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rotary. Ask for a thermal fax for data and documents.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get an Android. You'll be happy.

Setting it up takes no time at all. In fact, it's already setup.

See that phone icon? Guess what it does? See that middle icon? It'll take you to all your apps.

OMG! Android is so hard! Not.

Take a look at the Samsung Note 3 or HTC One. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is very user friendly.

Edited because I don't want Apples thrown at me.

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 09-25-2013 at 12:29 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm. I love cats.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Decided to go with the iphone. Thanks for all the help guys.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just my opinion, but...

I think a good rule of thumb is if you're over 45, iPhone is a good choice. 44 and under you'll probably be happier with Android.

The reason is iPhones are simple, but boring and under qualified if you like tailoring your user experience to your own needs. I find the 45+ crowd appreciates the simplicity of the software design and likes working within the safe confines of iOS.

Android is more flexible and visually appealing if you don't mind spending an extra hour setting up the phone you'll be using for the next couple of years. There are also more phones to choose from and they typically offer more options than you'll find with Apple.

Not a chance! Im +45 and love the android and wouldnt consider iOS.
Android syncs with so many of my business solutions that it would be a disaster to be on iPhone.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
To look at the other side of the picture.

Hmm, my 1.5 year old ipad was not compatible with iOS 6 and the app store is filled with new games that do not run on it.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Hmm, my 1.5 year old ipad was not compatible with iOS 6 and the app store is filled with new games that do not run on it.
The only iPad that isn't compatible with iOS6 and later is the original iPad that was launched 3.5 years ago and was decommissioned 2.5 years ago. iOS6 came out 1.5 years after it was decommissioned.

That's about the worst iDevice Apple has come up with for future compatibility so far and it would have been compatible longer if you didn't purchase a device that was at the end of its product lifecycle.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I still have an iPad 1 that my kids use daily. That thing is a beast...I like that they don't try to update the software. It runs perfectly.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I still have an iPad 1 that my kids use daily. That thing is a beast...I like that they don't try to update the software. It runs perfectly.
+1 to this. We got the original iPad a month before my son was born and it has essentially become his iPad. Never had any issues with it at all. Books, games, shows all work well.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Just my opinion, but...

weird......I'm over 45 and myself and most of my friends use Android phones of some sort.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote