Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #41
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Cloud drive is web based storage.

What I think could work for you is having access to catalogs and custom artwork availabale on a cloud drive. Then when a client asks to see what you can do; you can email it to him within seconds.

So instead of calling you, getting your VM, then calling somebody else who can give them the info, you can just give them the info.

ha... i basically do that now.... if i actually get out of my office i'll get phone messages (on my office phone), then i can reply to them once i'm back in my office. i find this works quite well actually... and it doesn't cost me anything more than my biz land-line.

again, with my industry, it's not life or death 'must be answered this very second' kinda thing. i've also trained my customers so when there are rush jobs that all details are figured out before work orders are sent (and before we even get the product)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Corporate Plan on MTS.

$57 + $7 insurance for phone damage = $66 per month.

Unlimited MTS to MTS calling, unlimited text, unlimited data. Group minutes, and not sure what long distance deal is.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone using 8Com (formerly MSN Wireless)? There's a bit of a buzz about these guys on RFD. Seems like they are offering cheap plans off of the Bell/Telus networks. Of course there appears to be the usual issues with these startups like poor customer service, unclear terms and conditions. The plans seem pretty good though. $55 unlimited everything - no MMS though only SMS. I'm tempted but seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth.

There's also a deal on Facebook:

$49.99 - Gets you, Canada Wide Unlimited Calling - No Matter Where You Are! Unlimited North America Text Messaging, 10GB of Internet, Free 8COM App to call Canada/USA When you are Roaming. Caller ID, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Conference Calling, Free Ring tunes.

https://www.8com.ca/mobile.php
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Koodo is Telus. It's just their 'discount' brand.

My husband's bill runs about $80 a month, give or take a few bucks, here and there. Mine runs $35/month.
Koodo isn't telus. SIM cards may be swapped without unlocking a phone, same as virgin with bell, but telus isn't koodo.

If you have a telus iphone for instance and have it hooked up on koodo, you can't have them factory unlock it because they aren't the same. You have to unlock it directly through koodo and vice-versa.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #45
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Koodo is Telus.

Quote:
Koodo Mobile is a mobile brand in Canada started by Telus in 2008 and mostly oriented toward younger customers.[1] Koodo differs from its parent Telus by not requiring a fixed term contract.[2] Koodo currently provides postpaid and prepaid services. Koodo uses the concept of a Tab which allows customers to build credit towards new phones.[3] Being a subsidiary of Telus,[4] Koodo has been able to offer extensive coverage and a strong presence in mobile retailers. This allowed Koodo to gain a presence nationwide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koodo_Mobile

Not the greatest source, but it is accurate in this case.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #46
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Koodo is Telus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koodo_Mobile

Not the greatest source, but it is accurate in this case.
You're totally missing my point. They are owned by telus, but they aren't the same. It's like bell, virgin and fido. Call koodo or telus and ask for yourself. You can interchange SIM cards, but that's all.

If you have a telus bundle, it doesn't work with koodo as another example.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 09-23-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #47
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
You're totally missing my point. They are owned by telus, but they aren't the same. It's like bell, virgin and fido. Call koodo or telus and ask for yourself. You can interchange SIM cards, but that's all.

If you have a telus bundle, it doesn't work with koodo as another example.
I'm not 100% sure what you're going for as the qualification to be a different company. As far as it matters to most people, I think we would agree that owning a sub company generally males them 'the same' even if offer slightly different services that aren't compatible in bundles.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you're going for as the qualification to be a different company. As far as it matters to most people, I think we would agree that owning a sub company generally males them 'the same' even if offer slightly different services that aren't compatible in bundles.
Because people go on places like kijiji and purchase locked to Telus phones, thinking they can bring them to koodo and unlock it and have an unlocked phone.

People have wasted money doing so, and they should know they are in fact different. If people go around saying they are the same, people won't know the difference.

I have a company Bell phone, just don't want to see people waste their money.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #49
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Because people go on places like kijiji and purchase locked to Telus phones, thinking they can bring them to koodo and unlock it and have an unlocked phone.

People have wasted money doing so, and they should know they are in fact different. If people go around saying they are the same, people won't know the difference.

I have a company Bell phone, just don't want to see people waste their money.
Okay, I think I see where you're getting at. Again, making an assumption for others but I was thinking along the lines of Koodo and Telus are the corporate entity as I know most sister company phones are hit & miss in terms of being swapped over without issue.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #50
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know of an effective way to get out of a contract with Bell?

I last physically signed a contract with them in 2009 when I got a new phone, and then have not since purchased a new phone with them. This last August I called to ask for a better plan, and they put me on a good $56 loyalty plan with unlimited canada-wide talk/text voice mail, and 2gb of data. Apparently they considered that as a new contract?

I am living in Toronto, so I want to switch to Wind now that they support the new iphone. They will give $300 in credits with a $40 plan that includes unlimited data (5 gb unthrottled). I would already save $384 over two years in monthly fees. (which would largely cancel out the $400 charge for breaking Bells contract)
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #51
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Ask Bell to send you the document you signed. If they say the agreement was verbal, ask for a copy of the recording.

Document when you ask for these things, and then when they fail to produce them send them a registered letter asking for them. That way if they ever attempt to go after you; you can say that you didn't sign any contract, nor do they have any evidence of a contact.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #52
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

They gave me a store code when I asked where I could get a copy of the contract, but they said their system was down, so they could not tell me where the store was. I cannot remember this as they said the contract started in Sept 2012... and I do not remember where this was. I think at that time I might have just asked for a $6 a month discount due to an advertisement. I am fairly certain that I did not sign anything, and that was in store, so their likely will not be a recording. This is so bizarre.

I will follow up and track down this store.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #53
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
This last August I called to ask for a better plan, and they put me on a good $56 loyalty plan with unlimited canada-wide talk/text voice mail, and 2gb of data. Apparently they considered that as a new contract?
Does it show up on your bill as a $56 plan or something like eg. $76 plan -$20 loyalty discount? Many discounts have a limited term and are applied at the start of a contract. That's all I can think of.

In any case, they most likely consider it a renewal when they put you on this plan.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

$51.97
1GB Data
Fav 10
200 Talk Minutes
Unlimited Text messaging

Bell.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #55
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was finally able to cancel my kids cell (moved out) and my own cell with Rogers. $12.50 cancel fee to get out a year early, worth it...

My wife still has a Rogers phone and I pay $55 a month which includes all fees as well. It is for unlimited calling/texting North American wide and 1GB of data.

My work phone is roughly $100 a month with 1GB data, 2000 text messages a month and 250 week day minutes. Something like that. It also includes a NA roaming package.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #56
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mine's around $65 I think everything in from Telus. Unlimited txting, 1GB. Got it via a friends and family plan when my buddy worked at Telus which saves me around $10 on the voicemail and other BS they charge for in their package.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #57
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is a $56 plan. It is listed as: Loyalty V&D 56 - 24M

So a 3-year contract renewal requires nothing more than walking in and asking for the new discount, then walking out 5 minutes later without having signed anything, or having been told that a massive cancellation fee would apply? This seems a little unfair.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #58
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No contract on Virgin on my iPhone 5

Silver - Text&VM/CD 35 400min
Standard LD Rate (to U.S. & CAN)
10% BYOP Plan Savings
400 anytime minutes
myPeeps
Unlimited Incoming Calling
Unlimited evenings & wknd from 5PM
Unlimited Incoming Text
Call Display Included
Voice Mail 10 Included
Smartphone Data - 6 GB

$65.00/mo.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly is the "Monthly Fees for Month-to-Month Services: $5.50" when you are on a committed plan? I see it applies to certain provinces (not Alberta) and it's not exactly well defined in the terms of service.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #60
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
It is a $56 plan. It is listed as: Loyalty V&D 56 - 24M

So a 3-year contract renewal requires nothing more than walking in and asking for the new discount, then walking out 5 minutes later without having signed anything, or having been told that a massive cancellation fee would apply? This seems a little unfair.
The tennis match continues... I went to the store that the Bell employee mentioned yesterday, and they had no record of a contract being signed. They said to call customer service again to get my account fixed. Hopefully it is just an error that they can fix... and I will be free! FREE!!