Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If you have people over and music playing, give http://juk.io a spin. It lets your guests piggy back onto your rdio account and queue songs, up vote and down vote. Pretty awesome.

Related to the discussion earlier: the new The National is now up, so it just a single week delay there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Vampire Weekend is up too haha
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

+ 10 for Rdio. Love the convenience. For what you would pay a month, great value.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! I literally bought this yesterday. Oh well.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Thanks. Both came up on Spotify today too. Seems like they are all using the same release windows.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Spotify for now. I have 2 Onkyo receivers that both have Spotify apps that are controllable via my smartphone. So that pretty much sells it for me.

Tell me more about Rdio discovery though. Is it like Spotify and gives you recommendations based on what you've listened to so far, or is there more to it? I haven't found Spotify great for recommending new things I haven't heard of yet.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
How come Rdio can be legal in Canada, but Pandora and Spotify aren't?
Because Rdio has pursued more extensive international streaming rights.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Thanks. Both came up on Spotify today too. Seems like they are all using the same release windows.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Spotify for now. I have 2 Onkyo receivers that both have Spotify apps that are controllable via my smartphone. So that pretty much sells it for me.

Tell me more about Rdio discovery though. Is it like Spotify and gives you recommendations based on what you've listened to so far, or is there more to it? I haven't found Spotify great for recommending new things I haven't heard of yet.
For me the recommendations are mainly a result of the network I've built together. It's a mix of friends and randoms (I'll look through public playlists and follow people who have similar interests), and it creates a decent "Heavy Rotation" section.

Regarding actual recommendations based on your collection, I found this on a support forum:
Quote:
Thanks for writing in. We're in the process of re-vamping the recommendations system with data from Echonest, and can't wait to share the changes soon! In the meantime, check out the "RELATED ARTISTS" section on any artist page for recommendations.
As mentioned earlier I do notice now that ever artist has a "station" that you can listen to. It seems very similar to Pandora so far... I put in Matthew Good and am now listening to every Canadian artist under the sun. Bonus feature: Unlimited song skipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Anyone use vdio?

https://www.vdio.com/
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Anyone use vdio?

https://www.vdio.com/
It's only available to US subscribers. I've tried loading the app on my iPad, which is using a US proxy, and they're blocking it still. They're smarter than Hulu and Netflix apparently.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only nitpick with Rdio are the alerts. They are suppose to notify you when new albums come out from artists in your collection and 95% of mine are for Miles Davis. I only have 3 of his albums (are barely listen to them) and apparently this dead jazz man comes out with multiple new albums every week. Otherwise I adore it.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #31
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
It's only available to US subscribers. I've tried loading the app on my iPad, which is using a US proxy, and they're blocking it still. They're smarter than Hulu and Netflix apparently.
They're blocking me too with a message saying only available in uk and us. I'm in the US. Maybe too smart for its own good!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #32
kermitology

Exp:

Yeah, for me it's Johnny Cash.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
My only nitpick with Rdio are the alerts. They are suppose to notify you when new albums come out from artists in your collection and 95% of mine are for Miles Davis. I only have 3 of his albums (are barely listen to them) and apparently this dead jazz man comes out with multiple new albums every week. Otherwise I adore it.
Try having Muddy Waters in your collection - it never ends. On the plus side, it shows how rapidly they are filling in the back catalogs - there is a veritable ton of new (old) stuff being added to Rdio all the time. A lot of it is filler for older artists - best of, various compilations, various reissues of the same material, etc - but the point is all those albums are being added, and every once in a while, you hit an album that has a track that isn't anywhere else, or is extremely difficult to find - I have one track by Poor Boy Lofton, Dark Road Blues, that seems to exist only on one obscure blues compilation album that I can determine. But Rdio has it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It would be nice if you could customize the alerts to turn them off for certain artists. After a day with the "artist stations" feature I'm really enjoying it. I like that the station is set to come on once whatever album you're listening to ends. For example I happened upon an old Treble Charger song, so I stopped what I was listening to, went and listened to the old album and then when it finished rdio kicked back into the station right where I was.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It would be nice if you could customize the alerts to turn them off for certain artists.
Yeah. That's one odd thing about Rdio - there's a number of little things like that that you'd think they would be all over, but the product evolves slowly. I'd also really like ratings, but they've been saying for years now they are looking at that.

Playlist export is another - you can keep the music, but let me retain ownership of my playlists please.

Not to knock the product, it's just interesting how they roll.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had Rdio for a while last year but got pissed off with it because the app wouldn't run on my phone. I use Songza now and, for the pricepoint (free), I think it's a better service.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been very happy with Google's service. Especially the all-music. The variety of music is amazing and they seem to get new releases very fast. Well worth it to sign up for in my opinion at $7.99/month.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I've been very happy with Google's service. Especially the all-music. The variety of music is amazing and they seem to get new releases very fast. Well worth it to sign up for in my opinion at $7.99/month.
I'm not sure if we already noted it in this thread, but the Google streaming service should be coming to iOS devices soon.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I think Rdio is fantastic. But for my music listening habits, I find it a bit pricey.

Songza and 8tracks are decent free alternatives.
Thanks for the Songza recommendation - actually been enjoying that as an alternative. Like the way they have the "playlists" organized and titled...worth exploring...
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I had Rdio for a while last year but got pissed off with it because the app wouldn't run on my phone. I use Songza now and, for the pricepoint (free), I think it's a better service.
Songza got really repetitive for me. What phone did you have that Rdio wouldn't run on it?